Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GX-REX
  • 3 Post By JDM_STYLE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Scoobie Noobie

vsp44 at standard level
Default Timing belt kit - did I buy wrong?

I recently purchased a Dayco timing belt kit for my Feb 98 WRX. The car is a GC8K. The Dayco kit (KTBA074HP) has a totally different timing belt tensioner and a larger pulley than on my car. The kit is meant for Feb 98 WRX. But it seems like my Feb 98 WRX has a different timing belt tensioner and pulleys.

Is this normal? I assume I should be sending this back, but what kit would I buy as my car as an 02/98 build date.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 PM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

Early wrx have the bottom tensioner. Anything after 2001(bug eye )has the tensioner with the idler attached. Either they have sent you the wrong kit or you have a 98 wrx with a 2001+ short block installed at some time

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next
Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Scoobie Noobie

vsp44 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
Early wrx have the bottom tensioner. Anything after 2001(bug eye )has the tensioner with the idler attached. Either they have sent you the wrong kit or you have a 98 wrx with a 2001+ short block installed at some time
That is strange. The history on the car makes no mention of any engine transplant. I also took it to the same service center (as the previous 2 owners - had a full service history) for many years (it was brought new from them). They never mentioned anything about an engine transplant. Is there any way that I can verify this such as an engine number or something? If so, where do I find the number?

The pulleys consist of 2 idlers the same size, a toothed idler and a pivoting tensioner (above). Note that the car does not have the small idler (to the right of the tensioner) found on later models. I would be very surprised if this car had anything but the stock motor. I purchased the car with fairly low kms on it about 10 years ago from the 2nd owner. The car has zero modifications, stock as a rock.

Last edited by vsp44; 08-12-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

I think Marti has his years wrong. My MY98 had the same tensioner as you have pictured above. Pretty sure my V3 STI also has the same one, I think 97 was a year that was a free for all in the parts bin and 98 onwards had this style.
dtrally likes this.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 PM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

Yeah sorry I was a few years off

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Scoobie Noobie

vsp44 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-REX View Post
I think Marti has his years wrong. My MY98 had the same tensioner as you have pictured above. Pretty sure my V3 STI also has the same one, I think 97 was a year that was a free for all in the parts bin and 98 onwards had this style.
Thanks GX-REX. I hunted down a manual a 99 and it shows the same tensioner setup. Dayco do not seem to have the "kit" for this model. They have the kits with the correct tensioner, but apparently all include the smaller timing belt idler. A bit strange.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp44 View Post
Thanks GX-REX. I hunted down a manual a 99 and it shows the same tensioner setup. Dayco do not seem to have the "kit" for this model. They have the kits with the correct tensioner, but apparently all include the smaller timing belt idler. A bit strange.
That's no problem. The small idler is an additional one. If your car does not have the thread for it you just disregard it. It's after the last camshaft in order of rotation so it has no effect on timing, it just minimised some of the belt whip when fitted.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Paul at standard level

The DAYCO kit you need is the KTBA161H, as dtrally stated if your car does not have the small roller than just leave it in the box, no issue. The reason DAYCO put it in the kit is to cover off all variants in that year range covered by the kit, some will need it, others wont. Same with all the oil seals provided, just use what is required for your application.
You can get on their website and look at all the products with photos included for each part in the kit if you really want to, its a good site, you just need to register.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Paul do you work for or sell DAYCO?
Strubaru, MY00GC8 and Slap Dash like this.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_STYLE View Post
Paul do you work for or sell DAYCO?
Both I am thinking. Paul.Kelesi@dayco.com

Tags
belt, buy, kit, timing, wrong