Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 10:11 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ThatLegend at standard level
Default Brake recommendations

Hey guys, did a quick search, some info but I'm wanting some personal experiences and maybe links to some sites.

I'm after a brake upgrade, you may all say go with the Brembos etc but I was wondering are there any other kits that are just as good if not better out there that won't also break the budget?

I've noticed a massive difference in the stopping power from my car compared to my mates Evo 7 which is running brembos. I've noticed a lack of stopping power in mine as of recent, the brake pads wear away so easily, I'm not feeling as safe as I should.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, cheers.
Old 22-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Before new brake calipers, what pad, fluid and rotor combo are you running?

If your running dba4/5000's, decent pads and fresh race temp fluid. I would suggest brembo/Alcon/pmu etc calipers.
DukeDrifter likes this.
Old 22-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Talking street/track?

What pads are you using now?

Brakes convert the forward energy into another sort, ie heat and light (possibly noise depending on the pad)

So its either the pads that wear or the discs.

Pads are (mainly) cheaper and easier to change.

Both are consumable items.

Try a more track oriented pad, that works say 0-600+.

Not super happy with A1RMs on the track, but was very happy with them on the street. Bendix ultimates were also nice on the street.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 23-01-2014, 05:59 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

I'm talking street, just everyday use

Using Bendix ultimates at the moment, just feeling they wear away too easy, if I was to get some DBA rotors, then maybe some more track orientated pads do you think it could make a huge difference?

Also another question with calipers, how much of a difference do they make, I mean logically the bigger the better right? More surface area for the pads to grip? I mean is it going to make a big difference just changing rotors and pads or will I need to take the next step and go calipers too?
Old 23-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

What tyres are you running at the moment? Tyres contribute a lot to stopping power.

Also, IMO, if you're using for street, the best is upgrading to DB4000's and some better street orientated pads. Track orientated pads tend to need some stops to warm them up to maximise grip.
nick73 and drewgong like this.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLegend View Post
I'm talking street, just everyday use

Using Bendix ultimates at the moment, just feeling they wear away too easy, if I was to get some DBA rotors, then maybe some more track orientated pads do you think it could make a huge difference?

Also another question with calipers, how much of a difference do they make, I mean logically the bigger the better right? More surface area for the pads to grip? I mean is it going to make a big difference just changing rotors and pads or will I need to take the next step and go calipers too?
If you do not do track events I do not see the need for bigger brakes you Wrx 4 pots will do just fine you just need better brake fluid more aggressive pad and rotors. I have been running project mu HC+ not everyone likes them but I have no problem with them on the street and track.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:28 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Running Kuhmos at the moment, any tyre recommendations for everyday driving and good stopping?

So you reckon the Wrx brakes are fine? Just go better fluid, pads and rotors hey?

Might look into these DBA ones, then track down some good pads, Evo R stock project Mu hey?
Old 23-01-2014, 12:37 PM