Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Scoobie Noobie

dangriffin87 at standard level
Default 2011 STI brake nightmare

Where to start,

So my stock original brake pads wore down after about 30k kms. I didnt mind the compound as i dont do track days and its a daily drive.

So i got a quote of subaru 700 for fronts and 800 for rears!! So i ended up speaking to a tuner he said 400 and he will get me ebc reds which are street/race. So i installed these without machining stock rotors, these brakes squeeled like hell. I then took it back told him they squeeled and he changed them for yellow ebcs, race compound. They squeeled even more!! Then i went back again and i said i want as close to stock as u can get so he got me rda golds. I had never heard of these so didnt realise how terrible they where. They still squeaked so i then went and got my rotors machined and this solved the problem. 2 weeks later squeak came back as pads full of metal and glazed rotors. I then changed for bendix gtc these are not performance pads. Squeak come back. Machined rotors again and now AGAIN my brakes are starting to squeak. Only on the rear is the squeak always has been.

As you acn imagine im about $1500 down and my brakes are annoying the sh#t out of me!!!

I cannot understand what is going on how 4 types of pads are all squeeking im now thinking about changing all rotors and pads but having spent alot already i want good rotors for money and also pads aswell as a assurance the squeal will go for good!!!

This car is coming very close to being sold as recently i got a full invidia tbe and a tune and it made 239 awhp!!! Plus squeeky brakes!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

I had a speed read and got the general idea:

So you DONT do track days... So why didn't you go for a stock disc (machined) with some EBC / BENDIX OEM replacement pads? Would have saved bulk $$$$ and met your needs.

Instead you went for REDSTUFF (which may be a street / track pad but can be noisy) and then YELLOWSTUFF which are worse?! If anything you should have gone for GREENSTUFF that is a spirited driving pad.

To stop the above pads squeaking you have to get the heat into them and really punish them.

You then blame the shop, did you not research before hand? I am about to get my car tuned and I called around, got quotes and recommendations. I then searched the web / forums and found 2 shops offered parts / packages that wouldn't suit my needs.

Went through you other thread and ASG tuned your car so did they do the brakes also?
TROLLEY likes this.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 12-03-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:20 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Mao has good pricing on comparable Project Mu HC+ pads. Drop him a PM.
RUSSGT, Master D, TROLLEY and 2 others like this.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Mao has good pricing on comparable Project Mu HC+ pads. Drop him a PM.
But they squeak
Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Scoobie Noobie

I did research, reds seemed ok from what i read but you cant truly judge until you have tried them urself. I am using completly near stock parts now and still squeeking. Beleive me i have put heat in them i have had the chance to try four or dive different techniques of bedding brakes. It wasnt asg who did my brakes it was evo r which was actually why i went to asg for my tune as he didnt advise me to what to do with my brakes properly.

Iv heard good and bad things about project mu brakes some ppl say they quiet other say the are loud. I just wanna be 100% sure that i will not have any noise. I might call mao ask him to do my brakes rotors and pads and a tune. There goes another 2 grand!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Scoobie Noobie

And if i have had a ss like u i wouldnt be in this situation my good friend has a dyno in his back garden and has four drag ss that are within the top 10 commodores in perth. Shame its a 2wd dyno!! >.<
Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Might be worth checking if it has enough brake grease / lube has been used. If there isn't there can be some high pitched squeaks during braking. Check out some "how to" guides, buy some lube / grease and have a go yourself.

Going through Street Quick Performance. Almost the best quote, best blokes I spoke to and they have Plenty of experience. Thanks for the offer.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 12-03-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

What kind of noise? Just squeal under light braking?

Mate...all good brake pads have a bit of noise... and the more you go towards a performance oriented pad the more squeal you will get, specially when cold.
STi Brembos will always squeal a little, learn to live with it...you will never get the noise free braking as when your car left the yard the first day.
Unless you get the Brembo branded ceramic pads for Subaru which is the OEM pad but they're not that great, you can find those on ebay for much cheaper than what the car yard charges if you search hard enough...but they're not performance driving pads.

Last edited by RJ999; 12-03-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 13-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Really you think i will always have some
Squeek? That doesnt seem right to me, there has to be some sort of vibrations or glazing of the rotors to get squeak.

My front brakes are completly fine never squeaked always the rear. Whats a good pad and rotor combo for what i am looking for? I went to abs in osbourne park they where suggesting protec anyone had any experiences with them? Or what dbas rotors are good? And pads best suited for daily drive?
Old 13-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangriffin87 View Post
And if i have had a ss like u i wouldnt be in this situation my good friend has a dyno in his back garden and has four drag ss that are within the top 10 commodores in perth. Shame its a 2wd dyno!! >.<
LOL ok

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
2011, another brake workshop fail thread?, brake, do you know duke drifter and davidsdh, fool and his money are soon parted, more dodgy dealings at evo r, nightmare, pmu pads melt at the track sometimes, sayin ayyooo i bought em off mao, sti, taylor and david are at it again!