Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 11:20 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level

Cleaned my IACV the other day only to remember that the gasket there always swells up and is impossible to get back into groove (or so I thought).

I had nothing to lose because I was grabbing a new one today.

Found some info on the internet and apparently putting gaskets such as these in boiling water which is supposed to force out all the oil and contaminants.

Was a little bit smaller but not enough, so read the next step was a heat gun. Now all my logic told me that heating the thing up would only cause it to expand. So my only explanation as the why it didn't would be that the heat gun causes even further evaporation of contaminants and whilst it was hot yes it was still too big but as it cooled it shrunk in size.

Am picking up a new one this afternoon just to be safe, but still some very handy knowledge if you're even caught out with a swollen gasket at 5pm or on a weekend.

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."
Old 30-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bteoh at standard level

WRXGC82000,

That is an excellent post and pics. Will definitely try to sort out the voltage this weekend and hopefully get 0.5v at idle. The other post says to place the pin into the white wire but looking at your photo, it looks like it wasn't the white wire on yours?
Cheers
Old 30-10-2014, 06:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Satie12 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape juice View Post
Cleaned my IACV the other day only to remember that the gasket there always swells up and is impossible to get back into groove (or so I thought).

I had nothing to lose because I was grabbing a new one today.

Found some info on the internet and apparently putting gaskets such as these in boiling water which is supposed to force out all the oil and contaminants.

Was a little bit smaller but not enough, so read the next step was a heat gun. Now all my logic told me that heating the thing up would only cause it to expand. So my only explanation as the why it didn't would be that the heat gun causes even further evaporation of contaminants and whilst it was hot yes it was still too big but as it cooled it shrunk in size.

Am picking up a new one this afternoon just to be safe, but still some very handy knowledge if you're even caught out with a swollen gasket at 5pm or on a weekend.
Where abouts are you getting you're new gasket mate? As I'm up for one as well

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 31-10-2014, 10:32 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satie12 View Post
Where abouts are you getting you're new gasket mate? As I'm up for one as well

Subaru Wangara, any Subaru dealership should have them, just call first to check they have em in stock.

Part No. 22659AA120

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."
Old 31-10-2014, 01:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Satie12 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape juice View Post
Subaru Wangara, any Subaru dealership should have them, just call first to check they have em in stock.

Part No. 22659AA120
Thanks man !

Old 31-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Scoobie Noobie

WRXGC82000 at standard level

That's great info on the gasket, although mine went in OK, must've got lucky. Gasket = o-ring right?
Hope you sort it bteoh. Sorry, my photo was rubbish at showing the right wire! I used the white one with a thin red stripe (just checked it!), the middle wire of the 3. There was a red one with a yellow stripe too, so make sure you get the right one. Another good reason to disconnect the plug before you insert the pin.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Scoobie Noobie

bteoh at standard level

Ok, latest update - checked and set the TPS to read 0.5volts at closed throttle and it reads 4.23volts at wide open throttle. Still no change and occasionally hunts at idle when warm. Removed the pcv valve and cleaned it. Can anyone confirm that when the pcv valve is shaken, there is something moving or rattling inside? How would one know if it is faulty? Anyway, cleaning the pcv did not make any difference.
Anyone have any other ideas what could be causing the occasionally hunting at idle when warm. The rev needle hovers between 0-1000 rpm and sometimes the car stalls. Rossco, any ideas????
Cheers
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
STI Master

spikey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bteoh View Post
Hi Rossco and everyone that chimed in,
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry for being inexperienced but how should I reset the TPS and how do I measure the volts to determine if indeed 0.5 volts is being sent to the ecu at idle?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Cheers
it could still be your Iacv, I have one here you can try and see if that fixes it.
Old 17-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bteoh View Post
Ok, latest update - checked and set the TPS to read 0.5volts at closed throttle and it reads 4.23volts at wide open throttle. Still no change and occasionally hunts at idle when warm. Removed the pcv valve and cleaned it. Can anyone confirm that when the pcv valve is shaken, there is something moving or rattling inside? How would one know if it is faulty? Anyway, cleaning the pcv did not make any difference.
Anyone have any other ideas what could be causing the occasionally hunting at idle when warm. The rev needle hovers between 0-1000 rpm and sometimes the car stalls. Rossco, any ideas????
Cheers
PCV should rattle when shaken.

What BOV is on your car?

If your bov is sticking & not quite closing shut you will get these idle issues. Also check all of your vacuum lines.

Hunting - if it's not TPS related - will be caused by a vacuum leak somewhere (Bov, vac lines, evap purge solenoid) - Check ALL vacuum lines that run into the manifold - follow them from the manifold end out. & track their complete path. pay special attention to the Purge solenoid under the manifold to the right of the throttle body when looking from the front of the motor.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 25-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Scoobie Noobie

WRXGC82000 at standard level
Default Did you figure this out?

Did you ever get this fixed bteoh? As others have pointed out, a rattling PCV is what you want, so that isn't your problem. It's a one way valve and the rattle is a ball bearing. When I originally took mine off, if I shook it, I could feel the ball bearing sticking at the extremes of travel. Carby cleaner through it cleaned out the gunk. With a good one, blowing through it one way it will flow, sucking through the same aperture, it should seal closed.

My original idle issues were totally different to your hunting around 1000 rpm and near stall. Mine was varying up and down completely randomly from near stall up to anywhere around 2,500 rpm.

I'll edit the original post as it looks to me increasingly like I either got lucky, or it was the PCV valve. My problems have not arisen since the original post.

Tags
control, gc8, idle, my00, pcv, valve, wrx