Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

yeahnah at standard level
Default Header Wrap

Hey, looking a few sites selling DEI titanium header wrap.
The DEI blurb quietly mumbles, its not made from spun or star-trekd acutal titanium but is titanium in colour appearance only.
Call me a tool but i infered that some form of warp speed hadron collider spun real fkn titanium was being utilised. Obviously im not well informed enough to know this. , scratch head and wonder if its just me or if others were similarly metallurgically embarrassed.
So the lava rock that LOOKS like titanium is their premium because its got 1800degree f direct and 2400degree f radiant capabilities.
I havnt searched around yet so please save me if anyone can help but are such tolerances really required?
Would a lower spec such as the 'black' series be entirely suitable.
The much vaunted 'other' attributes of the 'titanium' wrap appear considerable too.
If the black wrap or even basic bone/cream wrap has the same ease of application and longevity claimed in the 'titanium wrap' this would be surely be a better solution yes/no?
What about other brands?
Shebay spec?
I don't want to wet wresrle f/glass header wrap in my garage and it must be high in the durability scale, if anyone cares or is a header wrapologist.
If it must be the DEI titanium then no probs at all, that's what get the gig but much prefer to hear opinions of the aust market gurus if there are compelling other options.

Tl;dr
Is DEI titanium header wrap the best, or gtfo?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

I just bought some DEI for my up-pipe i've ordered. I think it is comparable to the Lava Wrap, which is basically somehow made from crushed volcanic rock (basalt fiber), reportedly 25% stronger than fibreglass giving a longer life/durability.

Given it's generally in a pain in the ass location to fix if it comes undone, you would be wise to do it once and do it right. Eg: Wrap it tight and properly, and use wire or stainless ties to keep it tight.

I'm only doing my up-pipe so it's pretty small and easy compared to headers.

Titanium wrap (or any wrap?) is not recommended on titanium exhaust systems.

Quote:
DEI does NOT recommend wrapping Titanium exhausts. The alloys used in the production of titanium exhaust systems tend to be thin and are designed to dissipate heat quickly. By wrapping the exhaust, the additional heat can make the titanium alloy turn brittle and prone to premature cracking. DEI recommends using alternatives such as our flexible heat shields when seeking to reduce the heat on titanium exhaust systems.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

look up a product called "sheet hot ultimate/extreme". Its a stainless steel dimpled sheet, with a heatproof fabric sandwhiched between another layer of dimpled stainless steel. Rated to 1100c continuous. Ive got it on my headers on my track car. Works well at preventing radiant heat damaging the other parts of the car.

You simply cut and form the sheet around the headers, and then put some tie wire to secure it. It doesnt itch or fall apart like header wrap. It wont crack/flake like ceramic coatings.

Ive tried lavawrap. Ive had multiple parts ceramic coated. And i think the sheet hot is the best so far.

Or you could look at getting exhaust blankets custom made up. These shit on wrap. But you will pay a shit tonne for it. Its big on industrial engines etc. Big industrial engines that run flatout for days on end. If it can handle them, it can handle a subie with an occaisional blast down the freeway onramp.

Last edited by Bram; 01-06-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Do not use cheap alternatives. The DEI titanium wrap is the best stuff on the market. If it's not this stuff it will go hard and then just flake away in no time.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 PM

Whoa quiet night in Perth : )
You legends have saved me hours of trawling through povo threads trying to make a decision to night.
I have nothing worthy that you would desire but i hope you may take my admiration of your awesomeness as humble thanks.
Will look into the ali sandwich Bram v DEI titanium.
How bout Perrin dump pipe blanket vs other brands.
I have an unfitted perrin turbo blanky but seems not as plush looking as the DEI units.
Any opinions on those as well?
Oh and a turbo sheild thatll fit with out modification over a turbo beany/blanket?
Does such a wonder exist?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:38 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Its stainless steel sandwhiched not ali.

I have the perrin blanket. Just for convenience of not wrapping. Seams decent.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Wildbill at standard level

the secret is to buy a good set of headers to start with some having a 2 to 2.5mm thickness walls, others have less than 2mm, some are large bore piping, for extra flow those chasing those elusive kws.

wrap them, then apply a couple of coats of heat paint, this keeps the wrap as 1
iam still using the same headers for 10yrs plus, in those days they were not selling in aust acquired mine out Japan.
matto20v and nick73 like this.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Yeh good advice thanks bill.
If using the high end DEI Titanium, would painting the wrap still be a valuable process or more of a secret trick for the old school fiberglass wrap?

Also Bram- can you show us some photos of your use of Sheethot? If not no probs dude, its no biggy.
A web search doesnt show much at all, just a heap of stock photos.
Also where did you get it from? P. M. if you prefer.
Could it be used as a turbo heat shield? I saw some pics of such a design but no photos or reveiws of it being actually utilised.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahnah View Post
Yeh good advice thanks bill.
If using the high end DEI Titanium, would painting the wrap still be a valuable process or more of a secret trick for the old school fiberglass wrap?

Also Bram- can you show us some photos of your use of Sheethot? If not no probs dude, its no biggy.
A web search doesnt show much at all, just a heap of stock photos.
Also where did you get it from? P. M. if you prefer.
Could it be used as a turbo heat shield? I saw some pics of such a design but no photos or reveiws of it being actually utilised.
Ill have a look for photos. Im not sure if i have any though.

Yes. I guess you could make a turbo heatshield from it. Although, it may be a bit flimsy as a self standing shield. More suited to applying directly.

I got it from VPW.

I painted a ceramic based paint onto my old wrapped headers over the wrap, and i think it helped a bit. But they still deteriorated eventually.

I have heard of a trick where you mix a bucket of plaster up. You then soak the wrap in the bucket and apply the wrap with plaster. A bit like a plaster cast. It then sets in place and holds the wrap together. Apparently an old ship engine trick. Dont know how it would go on a performance turbo setup though.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:18 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Wildbill at standard level

that old ship trick was with asbestos, called lagging no so good for ones health.
applying the wrap wet it and its easier with 2.
your headers may not liked being taped up as it might stuff them check first!

Tags
header, wrap