Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   CAI Selection 09 Grimmspeed :O (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/61917-cai-selection-09-grimmspeed-o.html)

TROLLEY 14-06-2015 08:56 PM

Wow, more anecdotal Maodness!

STIMUL8IN 14-06-2015 09:01 PM

Yeah, it's all about the MAF. Sean couldn't get mine to work at first, but he used my car as test mule and worked out the coding. The ID for the PW and the OEM tubes was the same, but with far less restriction, the PW let a lot more air through above the scale of the MAF. Once Sean worked out how to re-scale the MAF, it was all good.

Note: I'm paraphrasing what Sean told me at the time, so bear with my lack of tuning knowledge!

TROLLEY 14-06-2015 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=STIMUL8IN;824462]Yeah, it's all about the MAF. Sean couldn't get mine to work at first, but he used my car as test mule and worked out the coding. The ID for the PW and the OEM tubes was the same, but with far less restriction, the PW let a lot more air through above the scale of the MAF. Once Sean worked out how to re-scale the MAF, it was all good.

Note: I'm paraphrasing what Sean told me at the time, so bear with my lack of tuning knowledge![/QUOTE]

It was Pete (Intra on here, creator of Verso) that re-worked the scaling within the software after I discussed my COBB issue with him.

Soksta 14-06-2015 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=STIMUL8IN;824462]Yeah, it's all about the MAF. Sean couldn't get mine to work at first, but he used my car as test mule and worked out the coding. The ID for the PW and the OEM tubes was the same, but with far less restriction, the PW let a lot more air through above the scale of the MAF. Once Sean worked out how to re-scale the MAF, it was all good.

Note: I'm paraphrasing what Sean told me at the time, so bear with my lack of tuning knowledge![/QUOTE]

That I can understand (Craig also told me something similar with his dilemmas), but what I can't fathom is why an aftermarket boost controller will correct that?

From the looks of it, the poster stated that they proceeded to go elsewhere, but it is enough to engage my curiosity.

xcelcius 14-06-2015 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=Soksta;824460]I'm quite the tuning noob here, but how does getting a boost controller resolve issues associated with a CAI?[/QUOTE]

I'm no tuning guru too
All I know was the first tune included a PW TMIC, Grimm Speed Solenoid, DW Fuel Pump, TB Xforce exhaust, Cobb BPV
Cobb CAI
Got 289Hp & 415Nm torque but check engine light kept coming on, when I told Mao at Evo R he said I need a boost control to solve the problem
Went to Maxumum's they said I don't need a boost control, took of the CAI & retuned it to 184KW & 383Nm on a Ecutec tune and now slightly less power but no lights on the dash and no whoosh whoosh sound & can hardly notice the Hp difference

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

xcelcius 14-06-2015 09:28 PM

Also The guys at Maxumum's said they had too shut it down at 3000Rpm on the test Dyno because the air/fuel was all wrong and it was way too lean

Jacob92 14-06-2015 09:33 PM

I have an aps cai I've never had a tuning issue from two different tuners over the years

xcelcius 14-06-2015 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Jacob92;824470]Yea why can't the ECU be tuned to control boost ?? Maybe a 3 port was needed

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

Had a Grimmspeed 3 port solenoid on....

dnbosiris 14-06-2015 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=xcelcius;824469]Also The guys at Maxumum's said they had too shut it down at 3000Rpm on the test Dyno because the air/fuel was all wrong and it was way too lean

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

before or after they took the CAI off ?

TROLLEY 14-06-2015 09:52 PM

[QUOTE=Jacob92;824470]I have an aps cai I've never had a tuning issue from two different tuners over the years[/QUOTE]

Is your donk an ej257/255?