Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Satie12
  • 1 Post By Fable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Scoobie Noobie

stu99 at standard level
Default Walbro Pump Failures

I put a new Walbro Pump into the MY00 Sti about 6 weeks ago, and it failed in about 2 weeks later. Making a growling noise instead of a wine and not producing any pressure.

I replaced that and out of the blue the new one just stopped. Not priming on start up.

I've checked all the electrics, getting a solid 13 volts for a couple of seconds at the fuel pump for the prime with no noise from the pump. Left the car for an hour and then tried again, and the pump would prime, but making the growling noise just like the old one and not able to hold enough fuel pressure to run the car.

Haven't pulled the pump out yet, will be doing that tomorrow, but is there anything I might be doing to contribute to the failures?

Car is a STi Version 6, VF34 3" exhaust and Power FC (and a dead walbro 255)
Old 11-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

I'd say you're just unlucky. DW fuel pumps seem to regularly stop too going by some recent reading. Fuel pumps seem to be a bit like mobile phones.... because they're common (or replacing them with aftermarket items), we hear about their failures quite a bit.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:00 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Satie12 at standard level

Could you possiblly have picked up a fake walbro fuel pump mate instead of a genuine one?
I've heard of fakes failing pretty soon after installing.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Pimpreza likes this.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:26 AM
STI Master

Jacob92 at standard level

Alot of fakes around get a genuine for a local workshop and swap it out

Old 12-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Scoobie Noobie

stu99 at standard level

thanks for the replies.

I guess I cant be 100% certain it's not a fake. Is there any definitive way of knowing? It was bought from a local supplier. Came in a Walbro box and has Walbro stamped on the pump.

I was worried that maybe I'd missed something like change a relay or upgrade the cabling to make sure there is enough current at the pump.

Maybe I was just plain unlucky, searching around the net does show a heap of failures in a short time. I think some of the comments even say that they seem to either fail in a short time or last forever and a day
Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Satie12 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu99 View Post
thanks for the replies.

I guess I cant be 100% certain it's not a fake. Is there any definitive way of knowing? It was bought from a local supplier. Came in a Walbro box and has Walbro stamped on the pump.

I was worried that maybe I'd missed something like change a relay or upgrade the cabling to make sure there is enough current at the pump.

Maybe I was just plain unlucky, searching around the net does show a heap of failures in a short time. I think some of the comments even say that they seem to either fail in a short time or last forever and a day
With fakes generally its a dead give away when you first take it out of the box and pull the little caps of the end of it..fakes have plastic cogs with genuine they should have metal cogs.

Also a good way to figure out if its fake or not.. put the little connector piece in the fuel pump touch the wires to your car battery and listen to the sound that it makes. There is a video on youtube of a guy showing the differences between fake sound or genuine sound.

Good luck

Old 12-07-2015, 12:01 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu99 View Post
thanks for the replies.

if you bought it from a local supplier, id be going back and asking questions...
Old 12-07-2015, 02:08 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Fable at standard level

It's common for the fuel pump connector on top of housing to burn out. Wriggle the plug when engine Is running and you'll hear it cut In and out. prob find that is the problem

stu99 likes this.

Last edited by Fable; 12-07-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Scoobie Noobie

stu99 at standard level

Hmmm, it whirls like a walbro and has metal gears like a walbro...

Thanks for the ideas, I did spend a lot of time chasing the cabling to the pump, and all is OK.

Oddly enough if I let it still for a while the pump will prime OK and run the car on idle for a while, but eventually you'll hear the pumps noise change and the car leans out and stops. Might take 5 minutes but it does it. All the time it runs I get over 13v at the connector at the fuel pump.

If this was the first pump to go I'd shrug my shoulders and go whatever, but seeing as it's the second I'm scratching my head to work out if there is anything I'm missing.

Tags
failures, pump, walbro