Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 01:50 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Well hes already got the 24 in there and cant even get anywhere near it. So it wont matter whether he hooks it up with or without the EBCS connected. Remember the EBCS can only control boost ABOVE the wastegate base pressure, below wastegate pressure it doesnt matter how much pressure you do or dont bleed away, it wont really make a squat of difference. So straight away we know there is nothing wrong with the EBCS.

But yeah, still probs a good idea to test the lower springs first.

The only 2 options are as ive said, a faulty wastegate actuator that isnt opening at its advertised pressure. Or something weird like a massive blockage or leak in the intake or exhaust.

Need to properly test the actuator off the car. That way you are getting an acurate test of the actuator alone, without the variable of the car.

I have a mity vac.

I can see myself asking to test the gate using your vac if possible.

I am likely to put the 17psi spring in the gate too as I agree with what you have said in that the ebcs allows you to run above gate pressure and not below it.
Rossco likes this.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Hows this coming along Brett?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:09 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post
I can see myself asking to test the gate using your vac if possible.

I am likely to put the 17psi spring in the gate too as I agree with what you have said in that the ebcs allows you to run above gate pressure and not below it.
yeah. sure can mate. its easier to do it off the car.so if you want to bring it round and we can pump it up.

*ps sorry i only just saw this post after your thread was bumped.

Pm me and we can sort out a time / numbers etc.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:56 PM
STI Master

It is getting there. The previous round of maps felt quite good and boost was starting to respond. The latest map feels good still but on WOT is a bit rich. Will hopefully sort it out over the next day or two.

Fuel economy is pretty average. I haven't measured it as yet but I doesn't sound like I am going to be winning any green comps.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Here's something to aim for, my current tune is averaging 12.6L/100km on E85 - built motor, 272 cams
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 10-11-2015, 10:59 PM
STI Master

Isn't that a 2.0? Once I am finished tuning I will do some proper calculations with a regular mix of driving styles. I will be pleased to have 12 l/100 on 98. On e85 that is very good going.

You obviously need a bigger turbo!! ;-)
Old 27-11-2015, 07:13 PM
STI Master

Finally found some time to start testing some more potential causes of my lack of boost and response to electronic boost control.

I checked for boost leaks and it all seems fine. I then decided to isolate the ebcs from the equation by connection the compressor boost nipple directly to the wastegate actuator. The actuator has a 24psi Spring fitted but boost was still only hitting 17psi.

I then had the wastegate actuator pressure tested and low and behold...it was starting to crack open at 16psi.

We wound up the actuator arm to 21psi and did another test drive. Still only boosting the 18psi for some reason.

Next thing we did was to fit a manual bleed valve to see how the boost reacted. First drive gave me 18psi. I stopped and added a few more clicks and had 21psi. At least it was reacting properly. AFRs were still overly rich.

So, knowing that I didn't have any boost leaks and that the turbo did function correctly, I reconnected the ebcs. Sport now gives 18psi and sharp is giving 20psi.

I sent off some logs last night to have the AFRs cleaned up.

My only other issue is possibly a fuel hesitation stumble at around 2800-3100 rpm. I am going to add a fuel dampener to the supply line so that I have one on each supply and return and see if that solves my issue. I would prefer to get rid of the problem with a mechanical fix rather than just tune it out.

At last I feel like the end is in sight.
s20525xxx and Dan [GTI] like this.
Old 27-11-2015, 08:36 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post
Finally found some time to start testing some more potential causes of my lack of boost and response to electronic boost control.

I checked for boost leaks and it all seems fine. I then decided to isolate the ebcs from the equation by connection the compressor boost nipple directly to the wastegate actuator. The actuator has a 24psi Spring fitted but boost was still only hitting 17psi.

I had the wastegate actuator pressure tested and low and behold...it was starting to crack open at 16psi.

We wound up the actuator arm to 21psi and did another test drive. Still only boosting the 18psi for some reason.

Next thing we did was to fit a manual bleed valve to see how the boost reacted. First drive gave me 18psi. I stopped and added a few more clicks and had 21psi. At least it was reacting properly. AFRs were still overly rich.

So, knowing that I didn't have any boost leaks and that the turbo did function correctly, I reconnected the ebcs. Sport now gives 18psi and sharp is giving 20psi.

I sent off some logs last night to have the AFRs cleaned up.

My only other issue is possibly a fuel hesitation stumble at around 2800-3100 rpm. I am going to add a fuel dampener to the supply line so that I have one on each supply and return and see if that solves my issue. I would prefer to get rid of the problem with a mechanical fix rather than just tune it out.

At last I feel like the end is in sight.
Told you that was probably the case. Glad to hear your making progress.
Old 27-11-2015, 10:39 PM
STI Master

Thanks mate.

I also fitted a second fuel dampener tonight. It has made it slightly smoother again and got rid of the roughness at 2800-3000 that sounded like a dsg gearbox.

Overall it is starting to feel nice but when on a gentle throttle I can feel the driveline torque up in stages. Not sure what this is. For normal driving it is not really detectable.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Go back to basics.......

Install the 11.5psi spring and leave the solenoid out of the boost control loop (run the line direct from comp housing to actuator).

Run the car up at WOT in stages - monitor boost - You should see a flat 11.5psi from spool up to redline.

If over or under 11.5psi adjust wg preload as previously stated.

Once this is know to be set up correctly then add the solenoid back in & adjust wg duty to reach targets as set.

Doing anything else is just going round in circles.
Insufficient actuator preload as I said ages ago......

Glad it's finally getting sorted.

Still far from a fan of Email tuning, but whatever floats ya goat
TROLLEY and amtrapid like this.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Tags
ringland