Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 01:47 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Um, you might have missed the point buddy.

Virtually all turbo's will boost high & hard with the boost line disconnected from the actuator. (E.G My actuator line split & it hit the 1.75 bar ECU overboost cut)

There simply isn't enough exhaust gas pressure internally to force the wg open against the spring pressure alone...... The actuator requires the pressure line from the comp housing to work as designed!

Remember my base wg pressure is only 13psi, that split hose saw a boost peak of 25.5psi on my set up - see my point?

(In fact I can run anywhere from 13 - 30psi on my set up, my WG duty for 28psi is only 45%)

You need to determine your gate pressure by bypassing the solenoid - but running a line from the comp housing directly to the wg actuator is the only way - there is no otherway to do this safely or accurately.

This will tell you your TRUE base line 'waste gate pressure' and will tell you a butt load about your set up.

I'm not flogging a dead horse here, but you need to properly determine you base line boost pressure before trying to find other faults that may not exist.

Grimspeed use rebranded MAC valves - I've only ever seen one fail (leaky valve seat) and that caused random boost spikes.

Hopefully I am hearing what you are saying but we know that the springs are rated to a certain pressure as they are made by the actuator manufacturer.

With the early testing the solenoid was not lifting boost above spring pressure and so we thought that we had a solenoid fault as the gate should have stayed closed if it was seeing boost pressures of less than spring rate. Disconnecting the boost line to the actuator showed that the gate was staying closed and that the turbo was able to easily go beyond spring rated pressure. In that case we went to 15psi against a spring rate of 12 psi.

I swapped out the solenoid to test with a different solenoid. Both reacted the same. I either have two broken solenoids or two that are working.

I then went and swapped wastegate springs to see what impact that will have. I am only in the early stages of testing this and will have limited time for the next two weeks.

It is good to hear both of your input and ideas. I will consider it all again more fully when I have some time free tonight.
Rossco likes this.

Tags
ringland