Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-03-2016, 10:25 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff
Default Motorsport brake fluid

Hey guys.

Just wondering what brake fluid you guys are using in track orientated cars?

Ive upgraded my brakes a fair bit lately and im pretty happy with the setup now apart from the fluid. At the last MC sprint i could definitely feel what im pretty certain was the fluid overheating. Towards the end of the day the pedal became noticeably mushy and felt quite un-nerving. The brakes still stopped the car very well, but the pedal feel went to shit. It was like stepping on a turd once the heat got right up there. Im currently running Castrol React dot 4. Only because its pretty cheap and readily available from SCA. And im thinking this is the issue. Once temps cooled down, the pedal returned to its usual firmness.

I dont thnk its pad fade. I had what i believe was pad fade last year with QFM A1RM, and that was different. Once hot, they would have a very noticeable decline in actual stopping performance. I recently swapped to EBC yellow at the front because of how un-impressed i was with the QFM. And put Ferodo DS3000 in the rear in order to get the hydro working properly. And i also upgraded the front rotors to 355mm specifically for more heat handling than the 332mm rotors offered. Front brakes are Wilwood FNSL6R 6 piston, rear are Sti Brembo 2 piston. In all pad changes i have properly run the pads in and progressively heat cycled them before racing.

Tags
brake, fluid, motorsport