Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Engine Oil : Recommendations??? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/6558-engine-oil-recommendations.html)

Mat 03-08-2006 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=stinga]MSGOFAST on REXNET does not speak too highly of turbolight......[/QUOTE]

People will speak negatively about ANY product thats on the market. Be it car oil's or tomato sauces!

Best way it to for an individual to try new products and make his own mind up! If we always listen to what people on the internet say, well....

TopGear 03-08-2006 07:56 PM

i have tried mobil 1 and castrol syn and then Motul 4100 turbolite and love it never had a problem with it as long as you change your oil every 5000kms you will be fine :)

blackmy03 03-08-2006 09:34 PM

[QUOTE=Makoto]hey E4lUTION, where did ya get ur Motul turbolight???[/QUOTE]

NOR > TENAGAH

SOR > RMS

SCOOTER 03-08-2006 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=Mat]People will speak negatively about ANY product thats on the market. Be it car oil's or tomato sauces!

Best way it to for an individual to try new products and make his own mind up! If we always listen to what people on the internet say, well....[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more............

WRXTASY 03-08-2006 10:36 PM

Performance Street Driven:
Motul Turbolight 4100 10w/40 semi synthetic $45ish

Notice I put this under Performance Street Driven:
Its there for a reason. This oil is actually thinner than say Mobil Syn S 10w40 as Motul is rated at a different temp compared to the Mobil.

This oil should be fine for a daily street driven WRX lightly modified. You run a risk running it on the track, especially in summer here when its 30+ degrees. Grab a heavier weighted oil then.

J

WRXTASY 03-08-2006 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=Mat]People will speak negatively about ANY product thats on the market. Be it car oil's or tomato sauces!

Best way it to for an individual to try new products and make his own mind up! If we always listen to what people on the internet say, well....[/QUOTE]

I have to DisAgree with you there Mat.

Speak to some of the old timers here on the net that have done 30+ track days, numerous sprints and re-built engines and have owned and raced WRX's for 7+ years and you end up with some pretty common answers.

In the process of being a guinea pig and making up your own mind in regards to oil, you can end up doing big end bearings. Especially on the track.
I rekon you may then needs some qwality tomato sauce to go with the egg on said face :fucyc:

J

stinga 04-08-2006 08:53 AM

You're a funny man ;)
Do Motul do a 10 - 50 variant in turbolight?
I think some of the guys doing track work round here run 10-60.
What is the disadvantage running something like this?

BLUES 04-08-2006 09:31 AM

10-60 needs more time to warm-up & gives less protection @ start-up, so you need to be a bit of a pussy & restrain yourself when you 1st start to drive. Having said that, it's a bit of overkill if you don't do track work or are not generating big HP.

On the newer engines you can run 5W. I tend to mix it up depending on summer, winter, play schedule.

stinga 04-08-2006 09:37 AM

Fred, so a decent 10/40 synthetic will be find for mildly modded car in summer with a few MCs etc?
Al

BLUES 04-08-2006 09:56 AM

I'd say Motul 300v 10W-40 would be perfect.

Having said that - i used 5W-30 for my 1st year without any problems - only upgraded to 10-60 for Dutton, but will be going 300v 10-40 for the rest of the year.