Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

IMPREZING at standard level

yeah.. thanks for all ur help guys. TOP MOUNT IT IS...
Old 23-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

On this topic, i am going to go for the Frontmount personally. TMIC is nice and does the job for now, but not only do i love the look of a nice, big chrome FMIC, im going to research the upside down FMIC trick (as ive heard more then a few people mention it), and see if i can aquire some custom piping. Wont be cheap, but i love frontmounts

And im am installing Sprayers on my TMIC in a few weeks when im on a 1 week holidays.
Old 24-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Upside down FMIC trick?

Do you mean reverse manifold?
Old 24-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

my fmic is upside down, rather then the entry/exit flanges at the radiator support bar level, they are located behind the headlights.

Long live the WRC
Old 24-01-2007, 12:46 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

jester at standard level
Send a message via MSN to jester

^^^^ did this on my liberty with a gc8 kit, just modified the piping a bit with a hacksaw and a few extra hoses..... looks alot more tidy i feel and looks lovely not being able to see any of the pipework running into the core....
Old 24-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Scoobie Noobie

TypeRstiV5 at standard level
Default fmic or tmic

I have had both a tmic and a fmic on my car. I'm running basically an sti 8 my04 engine with ver 5 my98 heads and a vf35 my04 turbo and found that the fmic gained more power and a cooler charge temp.

The tmic becomes usless after 120 mph or about 170kph as the air flow goes straight over the top of the scoop and misses entry into the scoop.

You can sort this by putting a higher scoop on from the sti 7/8 and changing the plate under the scoop to a zero sports one to direct airflow better as the tmic wont be at it's full potential, because it will only get air to the parts that you can see through the scoop.

Also the tmic will suffer from heat from the turbo and engine and the charge temp will stay the same, whereas a fmic will get a more direct airflow and should reduce charge temps. You will need to insulate the pipe work with exhaust wrap or similar to protect from heat.
Old 24-01-2007, 06:39 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Point is most people do not need this level of cooling. The opportunity to regularly achieve 120mph is not a problem most have...however given a decent bar and plate TMIC with water spray they have the ability to soak up short bursts of sustained boost. Can you confirm the source of wind tunnel type testing that shows the flow avoids the scoop at speed?

Agree, changing the scoop is a much better mod and worth considering before going fmic.

Also heat transfer laterally into FMIC piping is insignificant to warrant heat wrapping.

Just be aware of the difference, do you need one or just want one? It may even suit your long term plans...Don't get me wrong they can certainly produce the most power, albeit MOST times at the expense of driveability...

BTW I thought V5 Sti heads were MY99 seeing that's the model of a V5 Sti? If you atually have V4 then that makes you TypeRstiV4
Old 24-01-2007, 09:21 PM

Elrico at standard level

Well like i said, i just want one. Do you NEED a turbo? :P. Hell, does anyone NEED a car above a 4 cyl?
Old 24-01-2007, 09:37 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphoolin
Well like i said, i just want one. Do you NEED a turbo? :P. Hell, does anyone NEED a car above a 4 cyl?
Yeah, we hear you...personally I think this looks much nicer

To me, most FMIC installs look like a chopped up dogs dinner thats screams rice whilst lacking any racing cred...
Old 24-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Elrico at standard level

Eh i reckon FMIC make them look visually tough from the front but its all about personal opinion i guess. Like the big bonnet scoups however.

Tags
fmic, tmic