Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 12:53 PM
STI Master

REXLLENT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to REXLLENT

yeah $3200 is how much i got quoted from regent subaru
Old 01-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

word of advise, its better to purchase a brand new OEM block than rebuild it, unless you're looking at a custom internals (e.g Jun, cosworth, etc). Everything's done from factory
Old 13-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff
Default not happy

Hey guys, dont know if anyone here uses race torque, or knows people that work there, but my experience with them hasn't been particularly pleasant.

I dropped my car off to them with an unknown engine problem 2 months ago. i used them because my very competent and trusted mechanic (Cypher Industries) was too busy. They said, sounds to us like you've leaned out and and done valve and possibly piston damage. They gave me a few quotes, and i was happy with the price, so told them to go ahead with it and do the clutch and front rotors while they were at it. They were happy with that, and as far as i knew, my car was in safe hands...

I got a call from them yesterday saying, "Hi Matt, just calling to let you know that it is a valve issue with your car, and we'll send it away tomorrow to get sorted" I was a little confused by this, as they've had my car for 2 MONTHS now, not wanting to get angry with them i just asked them how they went with the clutch and brakes, and they said, oh um... we think there will be less labour involved with the clutch if we do it with the engine out, so haven't done that yet...

Basically, they've done absolutely bugger all in 2 Months... i asked them about what the hell they've been doing, and they reckon, oh we've been really busy building rally cars and guys have been on holidays and your car's been a little neglected... WTF. Not happy!

There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of service from a reputable mechanic, i mean if i had the time and space, i could have rebuilt it myslef in 2 bloody months! Sorry Race torque, but i think i'll be sticking with Cypher Industries in the future, Zac has been nothing but supportive and helpful with building my car. Whether it's tuning it in his own time on a Saturday morning, or hanging around the workshop till 7 at night so i can get there after work, or taking phone calls on his mobile a sunday morning because some readings on my Power FC were concerning me.

Maybe Race torque are happy building their beloved "rally cars" and aren't particularly fussed about customer service... They're lucky they've finally pulled the engine out of the thing, because right now i feel like going in, giving them $1000 for garaging my car for 2 months, and taking it to someone that's actually going to bother fixing it.

thanks for listening to me venting.

Peace
Matt
Old 13-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Did you give them a call every week or so just to check for updates, etc?

I'm not affliated with RT, and while they have the responsibility to keep you updated with progress, you should have rang them up at the very least, 1 month when not hearing back from them. The issue with them is that, they don't hear back from you, they'll take it for granted that you want the car back.

you should tell them you are quite unhappy about this and make it clear. don't just pay $1000 for it. I'm sure some sort of compromise can be reached. At the end of the day, give them the chance to rectify it. Otherwise, fair enough, walk away and not deal with them again.
Old 13-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Sir AntiLag

dan.r.s at standard level
Send a message via MSN to dan.r.s

been told numerous times under 3k for a 207 $2750 roundabouts, different people firsthand experience. labour is the real killer
Old 13-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

good luck getting one under 3k.
i sure like to know your source and when that price was quoted
Old 13-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.r.s
been told numerous times under 3k for a 207 $2750 roundabouts, different people firsthand experience. labour is the real killer
That's the cost of the short block alone - no gaskets, no fluids, no labour costs taking the old motor out, labour putting it back in, etc, etc - go and get a real quote from the workshops & find out what the true cost will be.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 13-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99
They gave me a few quotes, and i was happy with the price, so told them to go ahead with it and do the clutch and front rotors while they were at it. They were happy with that, and as far as i knew, my car was in safe hands...
I'm not taking sides or batting for anyone here - but, at this point did you ask them how long it would take them to do the work? And did they give you an estimated completion date? (taking into account you started the post on 31 January = 6 weeks, not 2 months).

Also, doing the clutch when the motor's out is easier & hence cheaper, so it makes sense all-round.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??

Last edited by BLUES; 13-03-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 14-03-2007, 07:11 AM
Sir AntiLag

dan.r.s at standard level
Send a message via MSN to dan.r.s

that was no labour obviously. emails and private messages which are gone now. however one workshop quoted me that.
Old 14-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Gez at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXLLENT
yeah $3200 is how much i got quoted from regent subaru

What's the number for regents, as I'm in the need for one?????

Cheers,

Tags
dramas, engine, major, my99