Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV
I've noticed some schools have the flashing lights and paint on the roads, some school's have just the ordinary signs. Why the difference? Can't they make them all the same? So EVERY school zone stands out like dog's balls, not just the one's that have regular speeders, or in a high risk area. All school zones are high risk, coz u never know when a child is going to run out infront of you.
Schools that have the flashing lights are 95% self funded from what I'm told.

Take a good 2nd look at the schools which have them... usuually private schools in bling areas.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

i've seen cops do a hard u turn to come and get me but one or MAYBE two corners later and you've lost them

or if they are radar gunning forward and you go past at normal speed, then they gun you in the back on the way out - speed up to 8ks over and watch them run to their car... once again, two corners later and you dont see them... good fun

my cuz is a cop and he said they cant even catch RX's cause of AWD let alone a wrx.

and im not talking about a high speed chase situation here either btw. just baiting, if they do get you its 50 buck fine and i couldnt careless.

Last edited by werticusness; 08-02-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jezzamcbezza at standard level

There is no laser beam on Multanovas. The constantly transmit on 34.3Ghz and like all speed radars, use the doplar principle to calculate your speed. As soon as you are in the radar's beam (about 70m) your car is reflecting microwave energy back to the camera, that then calculates your speed. The Multanova 6F (the one in WA) camera has a maximum power output of .5mw although can be set lower (ever harder for radar detectors to pick up) This, as well as other location specific details, is why there is so much variance in detection ranges on RD's against this camera.

The Multanovas don't have a "distance" they can be set at nor do they display the distance to the target vehicle (like laser does) so if you think you got done inside the school zone, you would have to rely on a visual inspection of the photo to prove you were outside the zone. If a camera was placed, say 10m after the speed change sign, you could very easily argue in court that the camera had calculated your speed prior to entering the school zone. It would make a very interesting court battle.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy

I got done by a hand held laser. I was curious to know if the maximum speed he got me on was before I passed through the speed sign. How could you argue that, because only the police would know and even then they would have to know exactly were the sign was. Surely if I was doing 56 and decelerating then I could argue the point?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
I got done by a hand held laser. I was curious to know if the maximum speed he got me on was before I passed through the speed sign. How could you argue that, because only the police would know and even then they would have to know exactly were the sign was. Surely if I was doing 56 and decelerating then I could argue the point?
Doubt it mate. After you pass the sign you should be at the deignated speed, not decellerating.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGSTi
Doubt it mate. After you pass the sign you should be at the deignated speed, not decellerating.
yeh I agree, but how can they guarentee the speed they have on their laser was taken before or after I pass the sign?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Since the police are our law enforcers, what they say is correct.

If they pinged you and said you were in the school zone, that's it.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

I was doing 4 over (if my speedo is correct excactly) on nicholson rd. Did a U-Turn to go to the BP (if you live in langford etc you will know what i mean) because there is no turning lane into the BP from the left hand side of nicholson rd. The cop got up out of a deck chair that was most likley lended to him by the old man that allows them to sit on his lawn, looked at me holding the gun, as i did a u-turn, looked into my rear vision mirror, and saw the guy sit back down.

No i wont complain here, for i got away with a (ohh noes) $50 fine, but seriously i was "breaking the law". Or was is the fact that maybe, just maybe, they weighed up the fact that $50 isnt worth to effort of driving 150meters.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
No arguement there....the rules state that as you pass a speed limit sign, you must be traveling at what ever speed is the LOWER limit.

So, if you are going from an 80 zone to a 60, then when you pass the sign, you must be doing 60kph or less.
On the flip side, going from a 60 to an 80 zone, you cannot exceed the 60kph limit until AFTER you have passed the sign indicating the higher limit.

It might suck, but thats the way it is.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:06 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphoolin
I was doing 4 over (if my speedo is correct excactly) on nicholson rd. Did a U-Turn to go to the BP (if you live in langford etc you will know what i mean) because there is no turning lane into the BP from the left hand side of nicholson rd. The cop got up out of a deck chair that was most likley lended to him by the old man that allows them to sit on his lawn, looked at me holding the gun, as i did a u-turn, looked into my rear vision mirror, and saw the guy sit back down.

No i wont complain here, for i got away with a (ohh noes) $50 fine, but seriously i was "breaking the law". Or was is the fact that maybe, just maybe, they weighed up the fact that $50 isnt worth to effort of driving 150meters.
Dont forget they have to take off a couple of kmh for 'accuracy'. So you really needed to be going 6over for him to get up off the chair.

Tags
school, speeding, ticket, zone