Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-03-2007, 02:12 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Shouldnt really need to do this, most people die because theyre driving unroadworthy cars, driving too fast for their car, not wearing a seatbelt, dui...

The amount of shit boxes that are on our roads and that would be classed as road worthy is amazing.

My ex used to work in the bush on student prac, and she had a 1994 era camry. I told her she needed to get a better car, because her car handled like a shit (was a floaty pos) and that she was going to roll it going the speed limit on those roads. She couldnt afford new suspension and her dad wouldnt pay for it as he reckoned it was roadworthy.

Long story short, couple of months after we broke up, she hit some birds feeding on the straw in the middle of the road (dropped by hay trucks) and rolled it into the trees. She was air lifted to hospital and besides some scars ended up being ok.

Moral of the story:
If we had a decent set of standards for the conditions of cars on our roads and the facilities to conduct regular mandatory checks, i doubt this car would of been on the road.

People are probably going to tell me that its up to the driver to make sure their car is road worthy. But in the real world that doesnt work because dumb people arnt forced to fix their cars, and the economics of it make it easier just to drive it.

Mandatory checks = more volume = cheaper prices = more people can drive truely roadworthy cars = lower road toll and cops can get on with their real job.

Also, it shouldnt be up to the cops to find every defective car on the road, thats an impossible task and just wastes their time.

/rant

Last edited by Smokey; 27-03-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 27-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

i agree smokeys.... look at singapore... i recon u have to look uber hard to find a car from mid 90's over there, and if it exists, its in fucken good nick. And it has to be. pretty sure the taxi's over there are the oldest cars on the road.

When i was receiving my yellow sticker a few years back... i raised this point with the issuing officer. As i was standing out of the car talking to him (pleading with him really) I pointed out 6 passing cars that had headlight's not working (ie: 1 was on, the other was out) I said to him, shouldn't you be spending your time worrying about people who have defective cars that are a risk to people's safety on the road. He didnt seem to have a reply for me...

Now I am aware that a missing headlight isn't the most dangerous thing out there, but reduced visability could be a factor in an accident.
Old 27-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Flat Four Father

muggz at standard level

easy fix...we all need one of these fella's in front of our cars.....hit an object and *boiiing* hehe
Old 27-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Fantastic Idea. Unfortunatly reality will never catch up with it.

Much better for spotting moronic Emu's and roos.
Old 27-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

fobz knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey
...Also, it shouldnt be up to the cops to find every defective car on the road, thats an impossible task and just wastes their time.

/rant
Hmmm.... They seem happy to pull over every WRX in sight.

Why not extend the policy and include a yellow sticker with
every licence renewal.

My flame suit is on. Give it your best biatch.

[COLOR="Red"]My STI's carbon emissions are offset by killing puppies.[/COLOR]
Old 27-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

yeah, it's basiclly a safe run-off area that if you plough into or roll into there is nothing to create that "high-G" impact...

Still all bushes, tress are reused....

Gay that the govts are simply not serious about making roads safe via stringent pratical exams for licences and smart design of roads, barriers and run-off/catch berms..

Kwinan Fwy (sth sth) is a pretty good example, lined with sand, banks, thick bushes in the middle, all the light poles are designed to buckle on heavy impact..
Old 27-03-2007, 06:26 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

darlyn at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC
How many "hoons" die on our roads? Not many...yet they still make special arrangements for them i.e. confiscation.

The govt see's it as being very worthwhile

Yes I see how confiscation works, you loose the ability to wreak havoc for what 24 hours. Big deal, if your driving antics injures or kills someone, that last a life time.

Grow up and stop thinking that the whole government and it assorted agencies is against just you... they have a whole community to worry about
Old 27-03-2007, 06:28 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

darlyn at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobz
Hmmm.... They seem happy to pull over every WRX in sight.

Why not extend the policy and include a yellow sticker with
every licence renewal.

Its been a while since I have had A reason to pull over a WRX, and the only time I have I did not give him a yellow sticker, just a caution to slow down
Old 27-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

fobz knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlyn
Its been a while since I have had A reason to pull over a WRX, and the only time I have I did not give him a yellow sticker, just a caution to slow down
... Just having a dig... Come to mention it, I have been pulled over
before to "slow down"... Was that you ?

My flame suit is on. Give it your best biatch.

[COLOR="Red"]My STI's carbon emissions are offset by killing puppies.[/COLOR]
Old 27-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

Hoon laws and targetting hoons is a joke and does nothing other than appearing to be doing something useful. People are still doing skids and i see new lines painted on local roads everyday. New demerits system doesnt seem to be helping either.

Pete, much love for you, but we've destroyed half the planet as it is and trees never actually hurt anyone, so i reckon leave them alone.

People in power either a) stop punishing the vast majority of WA drivers and introduce much much better driver training and license tests every year or b) ban all cars, scrap them and bring back the horse and cart.. That'll keep the old peeps happy!

Last edited by Mat; 27-03-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Tags
idea, road, safety