Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

anyhow, im fairly sure sir was asking about where to get a cheap laptop from.

Since your SOR, hit up dick smith at Garden City. Prices are always cheap, and youll most likely be able to screw a deal out of them.

I should know, I used to be a manager there :P

I have no affiliation with them these days, but I know their pricing is always competitive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 PM

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.fi...ogs/CTG0001258

If you get ACER, and have Issues, big advantage is ACER service centre is in balcatta... Compaq and HP as their owner need to go back over east for major issues...

Be warned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

harlz21 at standard level

with the latest version of parallels you can even run dx9 games at near native speed. Prices for macs are pretty close these days. I can do a macbook (im writing on one now) for just over 1100 new

..OMG! thats so sick it makes other things that are sick look less sick..
Old 12-07-2007, 12:01 AM

i like sunshine lollipops and rainbows.....

I dont think he cares about either point.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

yeah like i said, thus the reason for saying i dont wanna spend much, not using it for games so dont need anything hardcore or high end, all its used for is basic web browsing, storing music and using my DJ programs.

ok yeah might check out dick smith and others at garbo tonight if i have time and see what i can suss out, hopefulyl will pick one up tonight cheers
Old 12-07-2007, 09:34 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

rspct at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
Heh,

Not wanting to turn it into a Mac vs PC thing either. I just don't like peoples comments that a PC will turn to shit in 6 months, where as a Mac won't.

Mac OSX is nice and if you can run everything you need under it, yeah its great. However there still is the great divide of programs that are only on Windoze. Anyone running a computer without adequate virus protection/spyware is only asking for trouble. Now thats whether you run OSX or Windows.

Depending on what your goal is with a computer, look at both options (or go full nerd spec and run Linux ). Personally a Mac is always overpriced compared to the Windows competition.

P.S. If you Mac guys are missing the virii, you can still get them on a Mac - they're just not as popular yet.
You obviously have no idea. I don't even own a mac yet. But, over my many years of owning Windoze machines and having to support family machines, Windows does turn into shit after 6 months...especially with an inexperienced user.

OSX does not, as it constantly de-frags and looks after itself. You don't need any system hogging virus protection because there are hardly and virus's for OSX (NOT because it is less popular, but because the OS is a LOT more SECURE).

As others have mentioned, if you must run a program that is windoze only then OSX actually includes boot camp for use. Parallels is also a top notch program to run windows within OSX.

You also don't need ANY third party drivers for USB devices. OSX features true no hass plug'n'play. A huge advantage over windows, especially if you want to connect HDDs, printers, cameras and mp3 players without installing a thing.

You also don't need to purchase any more software, as pretty much everything most people need for day-to-day activities is included in the OS.

These are the reasons my next computer will be a mac. And if my gf can use one for over a year and the performance hasn't budged since day one, anyone can.

The only case I recommend PC's to people is if they want it purely for games.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:34 AM

chee at standard level

i want a mac book.

because they look cool.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 AM

i want a big mac

its been since september last year

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

im also changing my mind about a desktop, am takin that into consideration, as you can get alot more alot cheaper then a laptop, will still be buyin a laptop, later down the track, just a cheapie 2nd hand one or suemthing as itll only be used for real basic stuff, was looking on ebay can get some pretty decent desktops at good prices.
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspct
You obviously have no idea.
You're obviously a jerk. See I can make random comments with no information behind them too.

A few facts for you. Mac OSX is not as secure as everyone thinks it is. This is a common myth since if you plug a Windows XP machine onto the internet without virus protection / firewall you will be subjected to the millions of virii and spyware written for Windows. People assume that since you can plug a Mac machine in and not get these virii etc, they are more secure.

Macs still require security updates exactly the same as a Windows machine. Check out http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61798 for all the security updates needed for your OSX at the moment. Now if the OS is so SECURE as you say, why does it need all these patches... Oh that's right it's written by humans so exploits are always found.

Mac OSX is a much newer operating system than Windows XP which is what everyone compares it to. So I would expect them to have learnt from Microsofts mistakes.

Mac OSX is a combination of the BSD Unix and the Mach kernel. The problem lies in that the BSD stuff sits above the Mach stuff. There are lots of exploits for the Mach kernel, its just that Apple has updated their releases to prevent any rootkits being used to compromise the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspct
You also don't need ANY third party drivers for USB devices. OSX features true no hass plug'n'play. A huge advantage over windows, especially if you want to connect HDDs, printers, cameras and mp3 players without installing a thing.
Then why does Apple have a drivers page for OSX? http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/

Wow after all that it looks like Apple has created another operating system and like all operating systems it requires regular checks and updates.

Bottom line. If you are looking for a computer, look at all options. I like the look and style of a Mac. I like the flexibility of a Linux system. I like the familiarity and games of a Windows system. Probably why I run all of them.

Any computer with any operating system requires regular updates. This is all I am trying to say. People who listen to the advertising media from Apple saying they are more 'secure' without researching or testing it themselves are leaving themselves open to problems.

Oh, my Windows machines have been kicking along for 2+ years without virii or issues. The Mac I had broke and needed service within 2 months. (Linux machine gets destroyed by myself on a monthly basis )

Tags
laptop