Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-10-2008, 02:58 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Lorry at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete gopal
how would one know the length of the recession? let's say it started around june/july this year and if it's an 8 month old recession then mid-way is today...bit hard to estimate to say what it's going to do
Its my limited understanding that in a bear market you have fast rallies and slow retracements, but in a bull market you have slow rallies and fast retracements.

So as soon as we begin to string together a few up days with moderate gains, even if they are followed by a massive sell off soon after, its probably starting to come around and generally head upwards. What we are seeing at the moment are fast rallies with stupidly high gains in a single day, which collapses into a slow 2-5 day decline.

I'm no expert though, and I don't have any money to put where my mouth is
Old 29-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

i have been buying and selling over the last week and and a bit taking mild profits with me on small investments, too much of a pussy to find out tomorrow if this rally was going to stick :P no doubt ill buy back in though if it happens to fall a fair bit tomorrorw or the next few days, tactic seems to be working for me at the moment.
Old 29-10-2008, 05:50 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

BAS at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorry
Its my limited understanding that in a bear market you have fast rallies and slow retracements, but in a bull market you have slow rallies and fast retracements.

So as soon as we begin to string together a few up days with moderate gains, even if they are followed by a massive sell off soon after, its probably starting to come around and generally head upwards. What we are seeing at the moment are fast rallies with stupidly high gains in a single day, which collapses into a slow 2-5 day decline.

I'm no expert though, and I don't have any money to put where my mouth is
Exactly, the best rallies are in the bear markets. How many 800+ point up days did we see in the last 5 years?

And as for knowing when a recession is going to end, of course no-one knows exactly. Just need to do the work, read all the quarterlies, next quarter earnings guidances, etc. If you spent 1 hour researching a company you'd probably have done more work that 90% of investors.
Old 29-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

DEDLYWEPN at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adr3naL1N
i have been buying and selling over the last week and and a bit taking mild profits with me on small investments, too much of a pussy to find out tomorrow if this rally was going to stick :P no doubt ill buy back in though if it happens to fall a fair bit tomorrorw or the next few days, tactic seems to be working for me at the moment.
Just remember, you want to be making fairly decent gains, otherwise the govt will chew up what you have made in capital gains tax.

FOR SALE - [MY REXTC] - Custom Polycarb Plates - PM Me
Old 30-10-2008, 08:42 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete gopal
how would one know the length of the recession? let's say it started around june/july this year and if it's an 8 month old recession then mid-way is today...bit hard to estimate to say what it's going to do
Recession has not yet begun.

"an economy is in recession if it experiences two consecutive quarters of negative growth".

Check out:

HTML Code:
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mf/5206.0
Still positive GDP to June quarter. We won't technically be in recession until sometime next year (could be January assuming negative growth in Sept and Dec quarters) so don't be expecting a complete stockmarket turn-around now. I agree with BAS and Lorry - still in bear market, just seeing a rally. Expect it to drop further. Good for trading, not for long term holding at the moment. I'd be happy with paying the tax man 50% as long as I'm making a profit. Better than holding out for a year only to make a loss....
Old 30-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY REXTC
Just remember, you want to be making fairly decent gains, otherwise the govt will chew up what you have made in capital gains tax.
yeah i know, but im still at a loss overall atm, so wont be paying squat.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Have been thinkin about buying blue chip shares now. Is this a good idea?

http://kap.industries/
Old 05-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Absolutely - world economy is fucked, economic growth is slowing, unemployment rising, investment & lending dropping - just perfect for companies to make bazillions of dollars in profits...

Do it!
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 05-11-2008, 01:12 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

jessica_jane86 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to jessica_jane86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT
Have been thinkin about buying blue chip shares now. Is this a good idea?
blue chips are always a good idea to buy, theyre a long term hold and dont have the volatility of the spec's. you should of loaded up a couple days ago though really...thats what all my clients did and theyre all v happy
Old 05-11-2008, 02:04 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_jane86
blue chips are always a good idea to buy, theyre a long term hold and dont have the volatility of the spec's.
Just ask the holders who bought RIO at $167 and BHP at $50 if they are happy with the volatility of their blue chip stocks (-38%, -46% against 12 month lows)

Russ, no-one knows what is going to happen at the moment. Therefore make up your own mind, or ask a professional (not a car forum!). It is your money. (I don't think too many professionals know either at the moment - so I do what I am comfortable with).

Sure, 'blue chip' stocks have been heading up since mid last week, but they may go lower if the financial crisis fallout is bigger than expected. Some expect lows to be as late as mid next year.

Compared to past highs, its a great time to buy (cheap). But, I'd keep an eye on them, and once they get a bit higher, I'd put stop-losses on them just in case it tanks again. Market falls quickly when it does due to margin calls.

Good time to trade though...

Tags
shares