Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 02:11 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

jessica_jane86 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to jessica_jane86

everything has gone down over the last year, hence why now is a good chance to buy,

and a few people on here actually do work in the industry. I manage a stock broking office, and its not like people are giving advice on here, its just people asking for opinions

Last edited by jessica_jane86; 05-11-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:17 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

jessica_jane86 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to jessica_jane86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmx_rider
Just ask the holders who bought RIO at $167 and BHP at $50 if they are happy with the volatility of their blue chip stocks (-38%, -46% against 12 month lows)

Russ, no-one knows what is going to happen at the moment. Therefore make up your own mind, or ask a professional (not a car forum!). It is your money. (I don't think too many professionals know either at the moment - so I do what I am comfortable with).

Sure, 'blue chip' stocks have been heading up since mid last week, but they may go lower if the financial crisis fallout is bigger than expected. Some expect lows to be as late as mid next year.

Compared to past highs, its a great time to buy (cheap). But, I'd keep an eye on them, and once they get a bit higher, I'd put stop-losses on them just in case it tanks again. Market falls quickly when it does due to margin calls.

Good time to trade though...
also, blue chips are meant to be held long term, eg 5years +.

im sure in 5 years once this shit market is over and we have another bull market people will have completely forgotten this happened and will be more than happy with the price of their blue chips
Old 05-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_jane86
also, blue chips are meant to be held long term, eg 5years +.

im sure in 5 years once this shit market is over and we have another bull market people will have completely forgotten this happened and will be more than happy with the price of their blue chips
Spoken like someone who isn't old enough to remember the last "recession we had to have" back when Labor was in government last time - how old were you back them 6-7?
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Most young (i.e. sub-30's) won't remember a time when it was difficult to get a job, or when a $100+k per year job was only for the top level guys.

Recently you could chop and change employers without a thought for job security as there was another job just around the corner. And a TA with no quals can earn big bucks pushing a broom around.

Hopefully this crisis/recession will help bring everything back into the balance. Were the shares worth the high priced they reached or was that just silly buyers not researching correctly. The prices are not fixed in stone and may never come back. After all everything is only worth what someone will pay for it.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmx_rider
Just ask the holders who bought RIO at $167 and BHP at $50 if they are happy with the volatility of their blue chip stocks (-38%, -46% against 12 month lows)

Russ, no-one knows what is going to happen at the moment. Therefore make up your own mind, or ask a professional (not a car forum!). It is your money. (I don't think too many professionals know either at the moment - so I do what I am comfortable with).

Sure, 'blue chip' stocks have been heading up since mid last week, but they may go lower if the financial crisis fallout is bigger than expected. Some expect lows to be as late as mid next year.

Compared to past highs, its a great time to buy (cheap). But, I'd keep an eye on them, and once they get a bit higher, I'd put stop-losses on them just in case it tanks again. Market falls quickly when it does due to margin calls.

Good time to trade though...
True words mate. Im not about to put my life savings on sopmething that someone says straight up. From what i have read from some of the responses on here shows that there are people who really do know what they are talkin about. Hence my question.

Maybe ill just try my hand at trading. Any advice? lol

http://kap.industries/
Old 05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_jane86

Except for the people who went broke and jumped off a roof after losing their money on 'blue chip stocks' recommended by brokers...

If 'everything' has gone down for the last year, why does it have to go up? Why can't it keep going down?

RE: "and its not like people are giving advice on here, its just people asking for opinions"
-->"blue chips are always a good idea to buy"
-->"you should of loaded up a couple days ago though really"

Sounds like advice giving to me.

I'm just trying to balance the views that Russ has received for his question. I didn't say not buy, I just said to be watchful, and set stop-losses to minimise losses if it tanks.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:43 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Q: What is the difference between a stock broker, investment banker, and a large cheese pizza?
A: The cheese pizza can still feed a family of four.

Ok, maybe not yet in Australia, but USA and London...they might need to sell one of their Ferrari's.

Last edited by fmx_rider; 05-11-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:24 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

BAS at standard level

Hey for anyone who thinks BHP/RIO are cheap, look at a 10 year graph. Still above the long term average???
https://secure.paritech.com/paritech...200819:22:23PM

However, some of the smaller miners are pretty good buying at the moment IMO, trading below cash backing or with -ve enterprise values.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:44 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Another good day to buy RIO & BHP.

BHP 27.020 27.030 27.020 -2.180 -7.470
RIO 71.610 71.690 71.690 -7.350 -9.300

DYOR whether you think the market has turned around (buy) or is still going to drop further (don't buy).
Old 26-11-2008, 02:46 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Wow. In 2.5 weeks RIO has alomst lost 50% to the figure above.

Anyone buy recently?

"everything has gone down over the last year, hence why now is a good chance to buy"

Tags
shares