Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-2007, 12:31 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN01
I got my HR several months ago and have been applying for every job i can find in the mining industry to try take advantage of my "skill". Reckon i can find one? Nope. "Minimum 2 years experience required". Only now have i even had anything close to a job offer (still waiting on an interview) and this job has got dick all to do with my HR.

So no, its not as easy as you claim it to be. Or if it is, feel free to point me in the right direction cos im fucked if i can land a job in the mining industry
I know in kalgoorlie they have a traineeship program that gives you the "skills" required for a haulpac operator. Downside... you need to live in kal.
If your THAT keen to get into the industry, then maybe thats a option for you. Yes its away from perth and your friends but think of it as a uni course that pays well. A couple of years in the shit will net you a job that will give you the benifits you want.

Have you tried for Dyno nobel? I know here in telfer they are screaming for staff, pay is approx $75-90k a year, 9 on, 5 off..days only! Your out in the heat, and theres flies etc but hey.... its good money, you dont have to pay for anything and its a foot in the door. Nothing to stop you moving across to open pit etc.

The best advice i can give you in getting into the industry is to be persistant. The amount of times i've heard people say " i've applied but i cant get into the mines"... and when asked "so...how many times have you called them, how often etc"... they say " once!" haha

Call them once a week, twice a week even.....after a while, they will take you as you show interest in the job. Someone who WANTS the job shows they want it by being persistant.

Good luck
Old 30-10-2007, 12:38 PM
STI Master

B4GT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to B4GT

Woo Hooo 4% pay rise on Thursday, thankyou EBA and the unions.
Old 30-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4GT
Woo Hooo 4% pay rise on Thursday, thankyou EBA and the unions.

u could of got higher on ur own agreement thats if ur a contributor... hhahaha
Old 30-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by [W ARGHH X]
I know in kalgoorlie they have a traineeship program that gives you the "skills" required for a haulpac operator. Downside... you need to live in kal.
If your THAT keen to get into the industry, then maybe thats a option for you. Yes its away from perth and your friends but think of it as a uni course that pays well. A couple of years in the shit will net you a job that will give you the benifits you want.

Have you tried for Dyno nobel? I know here in telfer they are screaming for staff, pay is approx $75-90k a year, 9 on, 5 off..days only! Your out in the heat, and theres flies etc but hey.... its good money, you dont have to pay for anything and its a foot in the door. Nothing to stop you moving across to open pit etc.

The best advice i can give you in getting into the industry is to be persistant. The amount of times i've heard people say " i've applied but i cant get into the mines"... and when asked "so...how many times have you called them, how often etc"... they say " once!" haha

Call them once a week, twice a week even.....after a while, they will take you as you show interest in the job. Someone who WANTS the job shows they want it by being persistant.

Good luck
Cheers for the info mate. Thankfully ive landed a drilling job with Boart Longyear Drilling.
Can guarantee persistance was not a problem. I pestered many different companies. Left msgs every couple of days. Reckon i could get a call back from any of them. Nope. Useless HR people i tell you!

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 30-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider
We have a housing affordability crisis right now and what's Howard's response? PUT DOWNWARD PRESSURE on our wages! What a ripsnorter..You beaut that's really going to help me buy my first home. A LUCKY country?
Allow me to provide some clarity on the whole 'housing affordability' crisis.

The entire blame can be directly & 100% apportioned to the STATE government & their policies & their departments & failing to resource them properly, namely:

the Western Austalian Planning Commission, Dept for Planning & Infrastructure, Dept of Environment & Conservation, Dept of Water, Western Power, Water Corp & most Local Governmment Agencies.

There is enough land available to meet demand - it just takes sooooooo long to get projects approved by government departments.

When demand exceeds supply, prices go up - simple economics!

The amount of red tape involved in creating a block of land is ridiculous

Rudd or Howard can't fix the problem.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??

Last edited by BLUES; 30-10-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 30-10-2007, 01:11 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN01
Cheers for the info mate. Thankfully ive landed a drilling job with Boart Longyear Drilling.
Can guarantee persistance was not a problem. I pestered many different companies. Left msgs every couple of days. Reckon i could get a call back from any of them. Nope. Useless HR people i tell you!
Drilling FTW!!!! haha
Awsome stuff mate. What site?

Yeah unfortunately (from friends in HR) their history of call backs are low, but in this sence.... they lose 3 staff at a site on a tues, need workers asap, you call on that wed bingo. Apparently thats basically how it goes.
Im a prick when it comes to going for jobs.. i call every second day till they give me it haha.. seemed to work.
Old 30-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by [W ARGHH X]
Drilling FTW!!!! haha
Awsome stuff mate. What site?

Yeah unfortunately (from friends in HR) their history of call backs are low, but in this sence.... they lose 3 staff at a site on a tues, need workers asap, you call on that wed bingo. Apparently thats basically how it goes.
Im a prick when it comes to going for jobs.. i call every second day till they give me it haha.. seemed to work.
Not sure what site as yet. Had the interview yesterday, said pretty much the jobs mine, just gotta do a medical, then they'll sort out the finer details and do some courses etc. Will be hard, but i'll tough it out.

Bring on new car

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 30-10-2007, 08:14 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

Haha the medical, you will like the end of that whole process.

Tags
channel, debate, pms, smashed