Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

well i've done the albany trip once so far in the sti. Brendan (wrexx) drove for a bit tho, whilst i watched 'movies' on the dvd.

I wanna do the drive, for that, the joy of being in my car.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

many roads you can take for fun, can't think of anything more boring than cruising the nullabore. having done albany to margaret river via ravensthorpe in a day, there are some great roads to be had in our south west, but make sure you bring red bull if you've got 950kms to cruise
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

gtr_eta at standard level

Old 4wd ftw Take all the off road and rough tracks like caves road (not the one down south)they all head east good fun as long as you got water,fuel etc etc need plenty of time though and good map & gps of course ..
In march i will have a 60 series landcruiser for sale that is set up for this sorta stuff never used off road
Old 04-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Flat Four Father

FFOUR at standard level

Straight roads (Nullabor, Alice Springs NT etc) are only fun if you do them at 300kmh+, otherwise find some winding stuff for fun.

MY05 STI track car | VF Clubsport
Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_MY04
Straight roads (Nullabor, Alice Springs NT etc) are only fun if you do them at 300kmh+, otherwise find some winding stuff for fun.
Yeah, cos all of us have the luxury of doing that every year Jan

(there may be a hint of jealousy in that post, i dont know, im not a doctor.. )

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Just got back from this trip today. Picked up a new truck in Melbourne and drove back in 2 nights 3 days. Drove melbourne to port augusta (1100 k's) Port augusta to norseman (1850 k's) and then Norseman to perth via kalgoorlie (900 k's).

Would definately do it again but apart from a 3 minute photo session at the bight there is absolutely nothing of note between port augusta and norseman. If I was doing it again I would do the following:

Car with cruise control.
Definately take a bull bar. I had one and did not use it but still made me feel safer.
Engel
Decent maps
Decent radio with either ipod or heaps of cds.
radar detector (they are illegal in vic)
Some semblence of food. Truckstop food progressively gets worse.

Not to say that we did not have some of the above but I would make sure that I had all of these if I was doing it again.

In terms of distance if I was going perth to melbourne I would go perth to adelaide in one go (22 hours non stop in a car) and then adelaide to melbourne (8 hours).

We were in a brand new truck (weighbridge ticket to follow but I am betting overweight aswell) with no number plates on either the truck or the trailer (photos to follow) and fair to say we were a long way over the speed limit and despite seeing 2 dozen + police we never got pulled over once.

I did it with the GF (she got her learners permit so she could drive) and it would have been a monumental pain in the ass to do it one up. 2 up ftw.

Brendon
Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

What I did for fun last month....
Bought a RS Liberty on E-bay that was in Sydney. Flew to there and picked it up.
Drove into Canberra and fitted a cambelt, water pump and turned the boost up at a mate's workshop. Then drove the wheels off it through the best roads this country has to offer. The Alpine way from Thredbo to Khancoban (NSW), Many creeks road, the Black Spur, Mt Dandenong road, the Great Ocean road (Vic) watched the Rally of Melbourne, then to Tassie on the ferry for as many Targa stages as we could do in an anticlockwise lap, the highlights being Mt Arrowsmith & Cethana. Tassie roads are like a tarmac pikes peak Stopped to watch the V8's at Symmons Plains then back to Melbourne on the ferry and blasted to Adelaide the same day to get the car on a train and flew home from there. That was fun, driving the nullarbor is not.

Tags
>, melb, perth, road, trip