Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

bojan07 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3_wrc
what i am trying to get at is its alot easier to kill your self in a hi powerd car and no knowledge. so if you start in a car like a charade and work your way to a sti you will have the knowledge to handle the power but everyone has the right to there own opinion
I think you are wrong there. How can a Charade compare to an sti? if you learn to drive a charade thats exactly what you learn to drive. When you sit in an sti its a whole different drive. The charade driving isn't going to help much.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiiha
EASILY MANAGED:

Restrict P-platers of only driving 4cylinder cars (adopt the same principle as P platers riding only 250cc).

The fine regarding seat belts, pretty much uncalled for. The driver and any passengers take FULL responsibility of their actions. Accident+no seat belt= death
I dont think that will solve anything. I know for a fact that when i had my NA RX impreza, that it beat many v6 commodores, and would thrash old VK, XF's etc. Think of a 1.8l KJ2 ford laser, Toyota corolla, etc

The only difference, A big car is a death trap, and especially with stock suspension, commodores are deadly. Why, most large cars are poorly engineered, and quite frankly drive like shit. Then you have cars like a BMW X5 that have dreadfull handling on the limits, and have a very short transition between grip and loss of control.

But i know that most will disagree with me...
Old 03-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRX
The only difference, A big car is a death trap, and especially with stock suspension, commodores are deadly. Why, most large cars are poorly engineered, and quite frankly drive like shit.
Bit of a bold statement. At the front of my work yesterday a VN commodore ran t boned a newish corolla (hertz hire car with tourists!). SFA damage to the VN (big, heavy car) yet the rolla had some serious rear end damage.

Some might argue that smaller cars are just as dangerous especially if they crush in around you. At the end of the day any car hitting a big chunk of tree at 120kms is going to result in serious damage or death regardless whether is a commodore, toyota aurion, 4wd, ferrari etc.

Hoon laws dont work, increased fines wont work (perhaps the extra money they raise can go towards improving road safety) BUT to joe public it looks as though the government is doing the right thing and trying to make the streets safer. Thats what counts to people like Grant Dorrington and Alan Carpenter

Of course the road toll will rise this year (and next..). More and more people are getting licenses. Percentage of fatalities compared to road users will probably remain about the same though.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

I dont know whether it would help or not but i think the restrictin P Platers idea is growse. its been in full swing in sydney for a while now and it has help reduce the P plater fatalities but dicks will always be dicks. you just hope if i dickhead crashes they only take themselves out and not an innocent family. Training, fines, education and the general public attitude of " it doesnt matter, only a few over doesnt matter" needs to change to see a drop in deaths.

but thats just me.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
Then you get the flipside of that.

Young guy buys an MY02 STi (getting cheap now) and while it might be heaps faster than mums charade, i bet when the young guy hops in mum or dads car he will push the boundaries more as mum and dad will foot the bills, whereas if it was his car he might look after it more?

i think your exactly right...im a p plater and slaved my ass off to save money to buy my club spec evo 2, i work nights at a fast food place and go to uni etc, sure ive tested the limits of my car as im sure most of you have too, on roads i know in conditions that are safe...but eventually reality sets in my bank account is rarely above $1000, cant afford to for example rebuild a gearbox or something if it breaks, i need my car to get around and i respect my car so i drive accordingly

it seems a few of you guys have forgotten how it was when you first got your license!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

there does not appear to be any fine for running down short sighted politicians

you know what to do.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 AM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

The biggest problem is maintenance, doesnt matter what car your in, if its got bald tyres, flabby shocks and grubby window youre going to crash it. Restricting car type to P platers appears to be a good option, but i used to get around in a holden nova when i 1st got my license and yes i know its top speed... problem is shit box little cars have shitter "limits", so if the shit hits the fan theres no saving it. They need to stop selling shit cars, and start getting old and unmaintained cars off the streets. Mandatory road worthiness checks FTW.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

p plater restrictions is wrong, its real nazi like.
anything banned by a govt is wrong, its peoples choice. people know the risks.
same as seatbelts and bike helmets, who's choice is? the fucking wearer
who's going to get hurt? the wearer (or non).

young people are going to die, whether it be on roads, drinking accidents, or just plain accidents. but most will involve risk taking. because thats what young people do. its human nature. you will never ever change that.

so for fucks sake, stop trying to be hitler and spoiling some of lifes joys for everyone because you want to stop the inevitable.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

nang3 at standard level

I think we all have to face the fact that the government will never take the road toll and road safety seriously.
They blatantly deceive the general population in regards to accident stats and they think we are dumb enough to blindly accept it all??
unfortunately the majority of the public does swallow it hook line and sinker and believes that because the road toll is 5 deaths higher this year that something needs to be done against hoons and speeding etc!! never mind the fact that there are X thousand new P platers on the road.
Same with them always blaming speed as the cause or a factor, if someone crashes doing 55 in a 50 zone but they weren't wearing seatbelts, that 5kph will make SFA difference yet they will blame speeding first, then seatbelts
Old 04-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Sir AntiLag

Craig at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN01
They're driving a vehicle they cant control, so you reckon the solution is simply to ban them from driving that vehicle? Your no better than the government mate. Blanket solutions all round! Would it not make more sense to perhaps educate the driver so they CAN control any vehicle? Its about time the Government woke up and stopped thinking with they're wallets and started actually solving the problem.
Agree!

Tags
fines, increase, speeding