Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level
Default Biljana needs help - especially if you're a maco

Hey guys, my mates sister needs help...normally i don't do this kinda shit but i actually know the person so read it:

"Hi guys,

As most of you know, my sister, Biljana, has leukemia and as part of her latest treatment she NEEDS to have a bone marrow transplant!

i've tried, but I'm not a match, so we need to look else where...and soon.

That's why I'm writing this email to you all in an attempt to try and find a match for Biljana and save her life.

If your interested in trying to see if your a match for Biljana, and helping out, you will have to go onto the bone marrow donor registry (but keep in mind that only 1 in 1000 donors will be asked to donate for a patient requiring a transplant in any given year).

for more information have a look at this web site:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/

if your interested please call the number below to get the nearest donation center to you and tell them that you want to donate bone marrow for Biljana Koloska(it's initially just a simple blood test):

Australian Red Cross Blood Service
290 Wellington Street Perth WA 6000
Phone: +61 8 9421 2886
Fax: +61 8 9325 4115

If you can't, then that's cool, but please foward this on to as many poeple as you can, (particularily macedonians -as there's more chance of a match) and lets give finding her a match a try!!!!!!"

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 19-03-2008, 08:54 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

jessica_jane86 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to jessica_jane86

i will post this on DBH forum for you. good luck
Old 19-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

this is my best mates sister, she's a top girl thats goin thru alot (they lost their mother to cancer few years ago). we're all checking our blood to see if we are a match.

its not a big deal to be a donar aswell, and u regenerate bone marrow almost instantly.
Old 19-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

i went to uni with blagoja...top bloke, copied a few assignments of him too

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 16-10-2011, 11:51 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level
Default Australian Bone Marrow Donor Register.

Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one...

The son of a very close friend has been diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia about a month ago; a rare and very serious disease which requires a bone marrow transplant or death likely within 6 months . Wiki Link

In the process of trying to find a matching donor, parents are ruled out for some medical reason (even if they are a match!) and the best chance is with siblings. Unfortunately in this case, Josh's 3 siblings did not provide a match... only 30% of matches are found this way. The other 70% have to rely on finding a match on the worldwide donor registers.

In Josh's case, a possible single match has been found in Germany and investigations are continuing.

Anyways, in the spirit of the OP's thread above; if you are under 40 (most people on here... I went to register and could not due to being 51) you have a chance to save someone from nearly certain death to an 80-90% chance of long term survival. The risk to the donor is low, and the chances of being called upon are around 1 in 1500 per year.

A word of warning though... if you decide to pull out if called up to make a donation (they give you several weeks notice), it is fine to do so but not in the last week before donation. This is because the patient has his bone marrow destroyed in this time to make way for the new donor stuff. Without the transplant, the patient will die.

The P-WRX community has a well earned rep for generosity and willingness to help out, so please do so if you can.

Links and further info above; thanks for reading .
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 17-10-2011, 08:31 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoz View Post
Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one...

The son of a very close friend has been diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia about a month ago; a rare and very serious disease which requires a bone marrow transplant or death likely within 6 months . Wiki Link

In the process of trying to find a matching donor, parents are ruled out for some medical reason (even if they are a match!) and the best chance is with siblings. Unfortunately in this case, Josh's 3 siblings did not provide a match... only 30% of matches are found this way. The other 70% have to rely on finding a match on the worldwide donor registers.

In Josh's case, a possible single match has been found in Germany and investigations are continuing.

Anyways, in the spirit of the OP's thread above; if you are under 40 (most people on here... I went to register and could not due to being 51) you have a chance to save someone from nearly certain death to an 80-90% chance of long term survival. The risk to the donor is low, and the chances of being called upon are around 1 in 1500 per year.

A word of warning though... if you decide to pull out if called up to make a donation (they give you several weeks notice), it is fine to do so but not in the last week before donation. This is because the patient has his bone marrow destroyed in this time to make way for the new donor stuff. Without the transplant, the patient will die.

The P-WRX community has a well earned rep for generosity and willingness to help out, so please do so if you can.

Links and further info above; thanks for reading .
In fact I would go further and say that if you go onto the unrelated BMD registry, please realise that there is a chance you may be called to donate marrow one day, so if you are uneasy about that, then its possibly better not to go on the register at all.
My lab runs the BMD matching program in WA and there's nothing more frustrating than spending time and money locating a matched donor somewhere in the world only to find out that they won't donate.
Saying all that, we are always very keen to get new donors onto the registry and your generosity may one day save a life somewhere in the world...how good would that make you feel!

Last edited by nauli; 17-10-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 17-10-2011, 07:30 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Wow, it never ceases to amaze me the diversity of occupations on here... had no idea the forum membership included someone in this very important & worthwhile field of medicine!

Nauli, is there any chance of a change of heart from the powers that be, to allow age 40+ people to register? I realise the reasons behind the cut-off line relate to diminishing stem cell quality with the aging process, but how is it that if one is registered prior to turning 40, then they can remain on there until 60? How does that work?
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 18-10-2011, 08:58 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoz View Post
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me the diversity of occupations on here... had no idea the forum membership included someone in this very important & worthwhile field of medicine!

Nauli, is there any chance of a change of heart from the powers that be, to allow age 40+ people to register? I realise the reasons behind the cut-off line relate to diminishing stem cell quality with the aging process, but how is it that if one is registered prior to turning 40, then they can remain on there until 60? How does that work?
The idea is to get bang for buck....ie to get people who are going to remain on the registry for a long period. Whilst the workup is fairly straightforward (tissue typing...or HLA typing for those in the know) it costs money to set up and maintain a donor. The WA registry has a reasonable number on it, so I'm not aware of any plans to up the age.

The unrelated BMD registry is a collaboration between the ARCBS who do all the recruiting and blood collection and the Dept of Clinical Immunology, PathWest, RPH (where I work) who does the tissue typing, donor searches and donor/recipient crossmatching as required. As an aside we also run the solid organ transplant program for WA and are the HIV reference and treatment centre for WA. So there you have it...
Old 18-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

I'm on the Red Cross bone marrow registry (just required a bit of extra blood when giving a donation, some paper work and a bit of thought, "would I be able to go through some uncomfort to help someone.)

February last year I got a call, apparently I was a match for someone in Victoria. Off to Bunbury for some more blood to do a final check, and yes I was a good match.

Six moths went by, and I got a call to advise me that the recipient had chosen no to take up the offer. This could have been for a number of reasons, and I was unaware of the age limit, I had just turned 40 at the time of the match. Looking at Westoz post, I'm not sure if I'm still eligible to donate or not.

For those of you thinking of joining up, and are prepared for the possibility of a bit of discomfort, join up, and give blood at the same time.

Fortunately, I don't know anyone in this situation, (needing blood products or marrow) but you never know when I might be.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 18-10-2011, 10:27 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckle View Post
I'm on the Red Cross bone marrow registry (just required a bit of extra blood when giving a donation, some paper work and a bit of thought, "would I be able to go through some uncomfort to help someone.)

February last year I got a call, apparently I was a match for someone in Victoria. Off to Bunbury for some more blood to do a final check, and yes I was a good match.

Six moths went by, and I got a call to advise me that the recipient had chosen no to take up the offer. This could have been for a number of reasons, and I was unaware of the age limit, I had just turned 40 at the time of the match. Looking at Westoz post, I'm not sure if I'm still eligible to donate or not.

For those of you thinking of joining up, and are prepared for the possibility of a bit of discomfort, join up, and give blood at the same time.

Fortunately, I don't know anyone in this situation, (needing blood products or marrow) but you never know when I might be.

Tim if you're on the registry, you stay on and can donate marrow until age 60. The over 40 thing is for those wanting to join de novo.

Tags
biljana, maco