Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Sir AntiLag

ITGRIPS at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by sMY00n
and a v6 with the same kw/hp as a 4cyl the v6's has more torque

so really you should also be looking at the torque of the engine and not just HP more torque quicker it will get to 100
just for you

Corolla
1.8-liter four-cylinder engine
132hp/99kw @ 6,000 rpm
173Nm/128lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,400 rpm

2.4-liter four-cylinder engine
158hp/118kw @ 6,000 rpm
220Nm/162lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm

Camry
2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder 158hp/118kw @ 6000 rpm
218Nm/161lb.-ft.@ 4000 rpm
3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve Dual VVT-i V6 268hp/200kw @ 6200 rpm
336Nm/248lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm

Vl commodore
Power 153hp/114kW @ 5200rpm
Torque 274Nm/202lb-ft @ 3600-3600rpm

Vr commodore
Power 17hp4/130kW @ 4800rpm
Torque 295Nm/218lb-ft @ 3200-3200rpm

yes torque does come into it but not in regards to the governments power limitations which is what i was referring to

cheers
chris

Last edited by ITGRIPS; 28-07-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 28-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

1 lb-ft = 1.356Nm to allow others to convert and compare those numbers.
Old 28-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
1 lb-ft = 1.356Nm to allow others to convert and compare those numbers.
oops, missed that... i tried keeping it all the same!!..
Old 28-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doadrift
Heres another question then. How do you ban a dickhead or say spot a dickhead to ban? Chances are they will have already crashed when the police realise they are a dickhead? Chances are the damage is already done.
they should come out with psych test that determines if you are a dickhead as part of the learners permit

sorry, i'm just so over this topic, prolly shouldn't have bought into it again, mybad

what i meant was you can put all these restrictions on 'p' platers but it aint going to make them any safer, you could kill yourself on a 50cc scooter if you're a dickhead

i had a vk 5 litre ex-cop car when i was 18 and yes it did great burnouts (on private property of course) but i wasn't a dickhead and I didn't try to do land speed record attempts, around sweeping bends, in wet weather, at night because i wasn't a dickhead, and i'm here to tell the tale

however i had a mate that had a mini (1175 cc i think) he drove it like a dickhead, even when he was pissed as, and yes he aint around anymore

so as you see its the "dickhead factor" that determines how someone will drive thier car, doesn't matter what type of car it is
Old 28-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Everyone has, is or will be a dickhead behind the wheel at least once in their lives. Just like the large majority who have had a couple of beers and probably shouldn't have driven home but still did. Most of the time you are lucky and get away with it. Keep pushing that luck and suddenly the odds of returning home become less.

If the government were serious about the road deaths, the only solution is training. You don't just jump in a high performance car and become a high performance driver (well except in an evo ). Start training drivers better, make it harder to get a license and create a better breed of drivers for the future.
Old 28-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama

Awesome topic! Really good reading.

I think Megs said... you can speed and crash in any car.... I agree, however I think where the concern over higher powered cars come in is that a P plater with a car load of mates in the modern equivilent of a stock Dato 180b is far less likely to be showing of its awesomeness (or lack there of) than the same kid in a v6/8 or turbo car.

The curfews, altho I'm sure they can be a bit of an inconvienance, I think the reasoning behind them is fairly sound... statistically P platers are injuring/killing themselves mainly between the hours of 1am and 3am so if we can have them off the road at these times it would hopefully make a difference.

I agree with the whole idea of more driver training needed. Teaching them how to better handle a vehicle in various situations and teaching them some common sence as far as knowing whats going on around them with other road users instead of just focusing on the car directly in front of them. I know when I was doing my lessons back in the day I was taught only the bog basics I needed to pass the test, my instructor knew which tester i would be getting and only taught me the things that tester was going to get me to do. I never learnt to paralel park or how to do a hill start hell I dont think I ever even put that car in reverse. Thank god my dad had the good sense to let me loose on a paddock in a mighty boy to cut sick and learn what happens, he also taught me where to find reverse

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 28-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Sir AntiLag

two sentences said to me by my parents during my first few years driving ( which i've stuck to since ):

1: you're not just driving your own car, you are driving everyone elses on the road too..
2. don't just look at the car directly in front of you but look one or two cars past..
Old 28-07-2008, 02:40 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Regardless of a drivers age, drivers combined with the following = FAIL

RWD Cars in the wet
Old unmaintained cars
Originally safe cars with lots of psi, but no handling, tyres, brake or suspension work
Alcohol/Drugs

They need more stringent rules into the age of cars registered in Australia (of course licensed exceptions for special interest vehicles), Mandatory ESC, Airbags, ABS, annual inspection of ALL vehicles, Special license for RWD/Turbo/SC cars and for 4WDs.

Also licenses should be much harder to get, but good luck, since the people teaching have not a bloody clue what safe driving is about. They also need to increase speed limits on highways so people dont feel the need to rush in built up areas, and build better public transport to reduce the number of plebs on the road.

People also need to learn how to keep left and understand traffic flow, look ahead and predict what is happening 500m ahead, and that driving 10kms under the limit at the same speed as the pleb next to you in your blind spot is retarded.
Old 28-07-2008, 02:55 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

theprotest at standard level

Hi,

I can tell you the only reason I don't speed or drive like a tool any more is because I hit a tree. So my idea is to make all P-platers drive into a tree at highway speed. Also, the fact that now P-platers have to be on probation for three years instead of one, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that more p-plater crashes should be expected.

I still maintain that the road toll is very low for the amount of people on the roads.

Cheers,
Nik
Old 28-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

joey89 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to joey89

Im just glad to be off my p's in 2 months

Tags
cars, platers, powerful, stuff