Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level
Default Real estate rant.

Time for a rant guys...

Got a rather distressed phone call this morning from one of my housemate's (who is 'recovering' from some rave yesterday)

At 7.30 a.m. 2 guys were chatting away in our carport... she wakes up, a bit scared, hears them open the back gate and start walking around in our backyard. She had her big maori boyfriend with her - so they stormed outside ready to start fighting potential robbers. there's these two guys in painters clothes scoping the place out - who have been asked to paint our house.

Firstly- why the hell didn't they knock on the door first before walking into our property! they are lucky im not home because I treat everyone that walks in uninvited as thieves...

Secondly- a bit of notice would have been nice? The real estate hasn't told us a thing about our place being painted.

Now to get through to the backyard you must go through the carport, which only just fits my car with less than half a metre either side. these guys have been walking through there all day with paint cans, ladders, dirty brushes etc.. almost impossible for them to not scratch my loved one! then they asked if I could move my car because they need to do the carport.

Yeah right, like I would leave my keys at home, or tell anyone my pin, or let a girl back it out of a very tight/steep driveway. so now they have started sanding the area above my car, and said they are going to paint it tomorow.

They have already chucked a drop sheet over my car. who knows how dry the paint is on that? and if it is dry, the rough surface will no doubt scratch my paint anyway!

This real estate has done this a few times now, sent someone to work on our house without any notification to us. We have had two rent increases in 6 months, still haven't fixed our hot water system. They once had a house inspection wityhout letting us know. they claimed they sent us a letter but i have never seen it.

Can I tell these painters to piss off? Im still a bit suss on them. Considering my other flatmate is a painter himself and has already offered to paint the house for the price of the paint. They were asking lots of questions about moving my car. were are the keys? I can move it for you if you want. surely he must have a spare set? that sort of stuff...

I've asked the girl at home to take some photos, just incase.

Seriously, i hate renting!
Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

As far as I know if have a valid lease - you own the rights to the property which means (apart from inspections) you say who comes and goes and when.

I think there a few clauses re emergency repairs etc but in the whole you can say piss of and dont come back.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:22 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Welcome to Property Mangement 101.

Lesson A: Fark the tenants over as hard as possible, because you never went to uni, you dont know better and that makes it ok. Plus youre working for the landlord, not the tenant.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey
Welcome to Property Mangement 101.

Lesson A: Fark the tenants over as hard as possible, because you never went to uni, you dont know better and that makes it ok. Plus youre working for the landlord, not the tenant.
LOLZ.

Dunno who taught you about property management, but I tend to disagree
Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

lol im not saying thats what they should be doing, but from my experience, thats what happens :P
Old 01-12-2008, 02:12 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Speak to consumer affairs, they have a section that deal with real estate and renting industry. A few years back I was renting in Joondalup with a very unprofessional estate agency. My problems weren't as bad as yours, but to cut a long story short they refused to give me my $800 deposit as they said the toaster wasn't working. I had never used their toaster as it was in a disgusting state when I moved in, but anyway I phoned up Consumer Affairs and they were great. They'd heard of my estate agent as well. Basically they told me to take them to a small claims court, they explained the process etc and it was pretty straight forward and cost < $30. I actually phoned up the Estate Agency and told then I'd got the form and gave them one last chance & funnily enough they reimbursed me 24 hours later. They were relying on having ignorant, compliant tenants who don't know their rights. I'd be on the phone to Consumer Affairs and/or LegalAid.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:47 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level

Im really pissed that these guys just walked into our backyard uninvited, for all i know, they are just sussing the place out for a robbing later on...

I'm pretty sick of real estates in general, I did have serious thoughts a while ago of starting up my own real estate buisness that ONLY dealt with rentals. They don't want to know you unless you're trying to sell/buy a house
Old 01-12-2008, 03:07 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Theres nothing legally you can do about it. The Rental Tenancy act is fairly open to interpretation, (lots of mention of the word 'reasonable'). If you always pay your rent on time I would just ring the PM up and ask them why they are sending people around without notification, and ask nicely for them not to do it again. Then next time they do it you have an excuse to yell at the dumb fuck.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Subaru Tech Division

saturation at standard level

pretty sure they have to give minimum 7 days notice otherwise you can tell them to get farked.

We had an issue where an assessor was let into our rental property without our permission and no notification whatsoever. We only heard about it because the dog attacked him and they wanted to press charges.

REIWA were fucking useless in all this, had to get legal advice in the end.

3 Months later went the hard yards and bought our own place.

The only rentals worth renting are when your dealing with the owner directly. Most PM are scum.

PS Sorry if someone is a PM on here, Not aiming to tarnish all with the same brush just speaking from experience

Last edited by saturation; 01-12-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

easytiger at standard level

Buy a house!
Rates are good prices are low

Tags
estate, rant, real