Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-2009, 10:30 PM
STI Master

Ethos at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Ethos

NJV and central pilbara operations expansion are still going ahead...BHP is planning to have another few satellite mines come online in the next year or so...ironore still don't look as bad
Old 22-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

mt keith has a nice swimming pool.
Old 22-01-2009, 07:33 AM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxymophandlmama
Exactly Phil. Egg shells is exactly what they are walking on. From what hubby is telling me the guys and girls are feeling the pinch, no room for even the unavoidable errors... someone has to be at fault for every little thing. They are all holding thier breath. They are told thier jobs are secure but they are seeing the need to be absolutly perfect... FIFO = Fit In Fuck Off

Having said that, Of all the mines he's been on this is by far his favourite, he enjoys his work there...just be nice to feel secure.
Is your husband at the Telfer minesite?

Too be honest, their jobs would be more than secure. The costs involved in hiring new staff (ie: medicals, interviews, inductions, training/signoff on machinery etc etc ) before that new employee is working to their required targets out ways the costs involved in keeping someone who may have made a mistake at work...........but as American Dave said, as long as they do their job, dont slack off, dont blow shifts and dont miss flights then there would be no incentive for a company to sack someone who already is at a production level. Our company did the same trick (told drillers we have 30 rio tinto drillers on the books ready to take their jobs........) yet here we are still looking for 3 experienced drillers to start immediately.

Gone are the days where operators made the calls tho (ie: for holidays etc.....good old "i want this stint off........if i dont get it i go somewhere else!" and therefore bosses would let workers have time off) but its just a cycle and for the next few years we just have to do what the bosses tell us and thats it. End of the day they pay our bills.
It wont be long before stocks run out, and theres a demand for material again...
Old 22-01-2009, 08:58 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey
Well all my friends who had been priced out of the market are currently getting conditional approvals for mortgages. All of the loan amounts are about 330k. Next 6 months is going to see alot more FHO's apply. Reason for the lag is that it has taken 6 months for people to get focused and take advantage of it. The 50k drop in house prices has made a massive difference.
Agree totally. I have quite a few friends who are looking to buy at the present time, just taken a while to get things organised. If they are in 'safe' jobs then they are looking to buy.

People have to live somewhere, and as rents rise and interest rates fall, it is more attractive to buy (in the range up to $400,000 FHB only - above $500,000 is going to fall IMHO).
Old 22-01-2009, 09:03 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler
Without a doubt anybody associated with a company involved with the mining or exploration of gold is going to be quite safe in these times.

One of the most uncertain and testing times from an economic perspective for most in their lifetime - as a result gold price increases as it is usually invested in as a safeguard to testing economic times (eg.a recession eg. now). Gold recently hit an all time high and with it being suggested this recession will be quite lengthy I have no doubt people in those industries will be quite safe.
While I agree that gold is the best commodity to be in at the moment for mining, I disagree about your comments jobs being quite safe and about Exploration. Goldstar went into administration a week ago for example.

Anyone working for companies who don't make a profit (ie Exploration companies who only spend money) are currently cutting back in a big way to conserve cash. Even the larger gold companies (ie Barrick, St Barbara etc) are cutting back exploration budgets at the moment.

Interesting times ahead.
Old 22-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by [W ARGHH X]
Is your husband at the Telfer minesite?

Yep he's at Telfer. He loves it there...cept the flies haha clearly a southern boy.

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 22-01-2009, 10:22 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

matthews at standard level

I feel sorry for a lot of the poeple that have lost jobs as it would not be a nice position to be in. Yet half those poeple chucked in good jobs in Perth to chase big money and left many bosses in a shit here. Now they will need to crawl back and will all want there $40 + an hour becouse thats what they "need" to live on. The boom was always going to only last so long.
Before everybody jobs on me this is not relevent for every body.
Old 22-01-2009, 10:32 AM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxymophandlmama
Yep he's at Telfer. He loves it there...cept the flies haha clearly a southern boy.
I was there for 4 1/2 yrs (and mrs for 2 1/2) and loved it there. I totally agree with the flies aspect....plus the tropical season humidity hahaha.
Flies are just as bad down here at boddington tho
Old 22-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Hmmm... all this talk has me a little concerned...

Here i was all set to walk from the ADF after 10 years later this year, (we too have had struggles since KRUDD took over...), trying to pull us out of the middle east, yes, the military is struggling too, dont get me started. Hahaha... fuel state yellow, warships that have no people, or are too broken to go anywhere...

But now me thinks, getting probably the highest super contribution available in a government job, having a locked in job for life... 76odd k per year currently, plus the step up to middle management promotion right around the corner... might have to sign on again for a little longer...

*sigh*

On the upside, it would nearly bump me to mid 80's.... lol. :S Oh what to do...

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Id kill everyone in this room for 80k - be nuts to leave in the current climate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
100, bhp, halts, jobs, mine, ravensthorpe, sheds