Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Sir AntiLag

scoobysix at standard level
Send a message via MSN to scoobysix
Default Your view on the impending execution of Nguyen in Singapore

Excerpts taken from reader's comments section in The Straits Times, the main newspaper in Singapore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Ooi (Singapore)
"It is impossible that Nguyen Tuong Van did not know about the strict Singapore laws governing his crime. When he agreed to be a drug courier, he had put aside his ethics and morals. He decided to take a gamble and, unfortunately, he lost.

Singaporeans live under the very same laws that convicted Nguyen. Are the Australian government and people suggesting that because he carried an Australian passport, he is therefore above our laws?

And that special consideration must be accorded him or we would be in 'contempt' of Australia?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fletcher (SA, Australia)
OVER the weekend Mr Kevin Rudd, Australian Labor Party spokesman on foreign affairs, weighed into the Nguyen Tuong Van debate in an interview intensely critical of Singapore's policy regarding execution of drug traffickers.

In doing so he has joined several other members of the Labor Party, notably the Victorian State Attorney-General who has spoken of judicial execution as being repugnant to all those who share his views. No doubt the Attorney-General is right. The death penalty is naturally repugnant to those who disagree with it. Such critics include sections of the Australian media, especially the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, the Green Party's Senator Brown and a number of churchmen.

Prime Minister John Howard has observed that the Nguyen case has stirred strong but not universal feelings in Australia. So what is going on? Is there really widespread opposition among ordinary Australians to the execution of Nguyen? Or is the Prime Minister right in saying that such opposition is not universal? I think he is.

Australia abolished the death penalty many years ago. Most Australians would probably oppose its re-introduction.

Then Prime Minister Bob Hawke notoriously condemned the execution of Australian drug couriers by Malaysia, seemingly unmindful of the fact that every state has both the right and obligation to formulate its own laws on this and, indeed, every issue.

There is a body of opinion in Australia, particularly strong among the media, that seems to believe that foreign laws should not apply to Australians who are convicted of breaking them. To any reasonable person this view is untenable.

Nguyen was convicted by a Singapore court of attempting to smuggle a substantial amount of heroin. He must have been aware that Singapore has a mandatory death penalty for such crimes.

It is said that since his arrest Nguyen has cooperated with the authorities. However, many Australians are sceptical of his motives.

The fact that he claims to have committed the offence to raise money for his brother is dismissed by the majority as irrelevant. Nguyen did it, he knew the penalty and got caught. That, for these critics of his behaviour, is the end of the matter.

There is also a widespread feeling that there is a degree of hypocrisy among some of those protesting against his sentence. It is generally accepted that trafficking in heroin contributes to the death of addicts, whether they live in Singapore, Australia or anywhere else. Regardless of the motives of those taking part in it, the drugs trade is a trade in death.

There is at the moment a convicted bomber, Amrozi, on death row in Bali for his part in the Bali bombings that killed so many Australians. He, too, chose to take part in a trade of death. However, those who are most critical of the Singapore authorities in the Nguyen case are silent when it comes to Amrozi.

The Victorian Attorney-General has not spoken out against the execution of that criminal. Perhaps he knows that to do so would run contrary to the opinions of the vast majority of Australians. The same media that now criticises Singapore is indignant that Amrozi is still alive.

Most Australians with whom I have discussed the Nguyen case are more moderate in their views. They believe that sovereign states have the right to make their own laws. They do not support calls for economic sanctions against Singapore.

They believe that the politicians who have spoken out are selective in their judgments - death for Amrozi because he killed Australians, leniency for Nguyen because he is an Australian.

To most Australians, this is nonsense. There is widespread sympathy for Nguyen's mother and family. But drug traffickers, as well as bombers, kill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lowe (Australia)
WITH regard to Singapore's decision to hang an Australian citizen because he was carrying drugs, please consider for a moment the following questions:

# Question 1: Who suffers after Dec 2 until the day that they die?

Answer: His mother, other members of his family and his friends, not the young man himself.

# Question 2: Who else is seriously offended by Singapore's actions?

Answer: Every citizen of Australia.

# Question 3: How do you think Singapore and its culture are regarded by the civilised world?

Answer: I will let you ponder that one yourself.
Personally, whether or not one agrees with capital punishment is irelevant. The fact remains that a country's laws should be respected and abided by, for they exist for a reason. Singapore's low crime rate is a reflection of the strict laws in place. Now, it is again irrelevant to the issue, to discuss the efficacy of a country's laws.

A man has violated the law of a country, and has been fairly dealt with by a court of law in the country. There was no preferential or negatively biased treatment of the man in the judicial proceedings.

If a Singaporean man convicted of murder of an Australian in Australia is sentenced to life imprisonment in Australia, should all Singaporean citizens feel offended? I don't think so. The man deserves whatever punishment is deemed as fair according to the country's laws. What Singaporeans think of the Australian legal system is irrelevant, the only important issue is whether the man has been fairly dealt with by the Australian hand of law.

There has been some who have asked for trade sanctions as a form of retaliation against Singapore. I find that incredibly immature to say the least.

What are your (objective and unbiased) views on this subject?
Old 23-11-2005, 08:14 AM
STI Master

Andy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Andy

meh he was stupid enough to go through singas...the strictest place in the world..

duh! if he dies he dies..its not like singapore will change their mind.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:19 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Pinky at standard level

I think we should give Singapore Michelle Leslie in exchange for Nguyen.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

I feel sorry for the guys mother, who will have to live with this every day.

As for his brother, he will also have to live with the whole "I did it to pay my brothers debt" thing.

He would have known what he was doing was regarded as highly illegal in MOST countries, and he certainly would have known that Singapore carried such a penalty for drug trafficking. Knowing this, HE took the risk in doing it, and he got caught...back luck to him!

It wasnt as if he was caught with a gram of heroin, he was caught with a LARGE quantity, so he knew what he was doing.

If you break a law in another country, you have to face the consequences.

To me, this demonstrates that if your a visitor to another country, you keep your mouth shut, your hands to yourself and abide by their laws and customs, and DONT do anything stupid which can get you into trouble. Simple as that.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Do the crime, serve the time.

When you go to Singapore, it is not a big secret that you will get the death penalty for drug trafficing. It is on the inbound form you sign on the plane, it is on a huge sign when you get into changi airport and so on and so forth.

The dude was stupid enough to have drugs strapped to his body so he has to serve the punishment and thats hang him.

If australia had the death penalty still, you watch the crime rate plummet!
Old 23-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Scoobie Noobie

red_rex at standard level

I don't think the death penalty is a deterrent in cases like this. Desperate people will do desperate things regardless of the consequences. That being said, he knew fully well that there was a risk of being caught in Singapore and the penalty faced would be death. The fact he is an Australian citizen does not make him any "better" than any other person who is caught doing the same thing. The calls by some people to get the federal government to put pressure on the Singaporean government via appeal processes in the UN or via trade and diplomatic sanctions is ludicrous and childish to say the least. Maybe they should jump back on the Shapelle Corby bandwagon again.

The person I feel sorry for is his mum, must be the worst feeling in the world to see your child about to die and not be able to do anything about it.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Sir AntiLag

scoobysix at standard level
Send a message via MSN to scoobysix

For those who are (relatively) new to Perth WRX, I am a Singaporean FYI. I posted this to get a better idea of the views held by the general Australian public, views that are (hopefully) not tainted or biased by any media reports.

Recently there was an Australian news article that described the executioner who will be in charge of Nguyen's execution. In fact, he is the only executioner in Singapore - nobody else would take the job. This already shows, to a certain extent, that Singaporeans are not a big fan of capital punishment either. It's not as if Singaporeans are a morbid bunch who loves death. Anyway, I digress. I was quite upset by how the article tried to paint the impression that the executioner was in it for the money by stating that he makes $500 for an execution, and even showed statistics of the highest number of executions he has performed in a day, like as if he enjoyed it. Those statistics were probably requested for, innocently given and taken out of context.

By coincidence, my home in Singapore is about 900m away from the Singapore Changi Prison, where executions are performed. In my school days, I would occasionally hear the clang of the trap door as I walked to the bus stop at 6am on Friday mornings on my way to school. Not the most pleasant thing to hear. You can see everyone's expressions change and an air of silence would set in for a while.

Some of you might recall the case of Michael Fay, the American kid living in Singapore who was convicted of vandalism and caning was included as part of the sentence. There was also a similar hoo-ha by the American Government and public that went on for a while. Again, it was irrelevant what Americans thought of caning as a punishment for vandalism. There are reasons why Singapore is considered to be "clean & green", you don't see vandalism very often precisely because of the harsh punishment awarded to vandals.

Last edited by scoobysix; 23-11-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 23-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

he knew what he was doing, It didnt succeed, so what happened to his brother? It's all very quiet really.

Sure its unfortunate that others have to suffer for something he did, but think of the effect on multiple families that the importation of all that smack would have..

I really think that if you break the law then you should expect to be tried under that countries' laws. All australia can do is attempt to plead the humanitarian case against the death penalty but the final say is with the Singaporian legal system, and we should respect that.
Old 23-11-2005, 10:13 AM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Personally.....
I reckon its a whole bullshit carry-on by our typical media.
Just like Shapelle, its something that the reporters can drag on for 3 weeks to fill the deadline columns that they have to hand in each week.
At the end of the day, you goto another country... you must abide by their rules. Its not something that they hide from you and go " oh surprise, your busted and we kept it a secret hehe". If it was someone from another country... would we even hear about it? So what makes us so invincible??

I feel sorry for his mum tho and i think thats why everyone gets involved as they put the same senario into their lives if it happened to them.

But in the end, you take a gamble and sometimes you win..... majority of the time you lose.... thats life.

In regards to the executioner......i couldnt think of a harder job to do than that! That job would be the hardest and most morally challenging job in the world IMHO.
Old 23-11-2005, 10:16 AM
d_generate

In my opinion he is a murderer because you can guarantee at least 5 or 6 Australians would have overdosed and died because of this filthy drug, yes I feel sorry for his mother but would she have felt sorry for the familys of the people he killed, I doubt it, Singapore has the right idea, it's a very clean and safe place to visit and with their strict laws hopefully it will stay that way. Hang him...... it's a great deterrent.

Tags
execution, impending, nguyen, singapore, view