Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 AM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level
Default Prefinished Floors

I have some prefinished jarrah floors in my place, and the gaps between the boards just dont gel with me. Is it possible to apply another layer of sealant to have a smooth uniform gloss finish across the whole floor? If so, anyone got any pointers?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

trusti rex at standard level

solid jarrah? if so you will have to sand back near the joins you dont like and apply resin in the gaps. this all equals time = money
Old 01-04-2009, 11:27 AM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

yeah its solid tongue and groove stuff, looks similar to this atm..

but i want it to look like this...

none of the floor is damaged, is it not possible to just put a big clear coat on it without sanding the prefinshed base?

Last edited by Smokey; 01-04-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

trusti rex at standard level

oh shit, i thought you meant odd gaps here and there. no, the floor you have has been machined with a chamfer to look like that on purpose, therefore there is nothing you can do to cover over those gaps. what you would have to do is sand the whole floor down 2/3mm (professional floor sander) to get rid of the chamfers and then recoat the entire floor with gloss poly. i dont know if there is new tech out now that could do it another way (probably not), you'd have to ask around at floor places, either way sanding is a pre-requisite.

p.s. definitely do not try to just put something over it especially without sanding. it will not stick, and will end up ruining your floor.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

cheers for the info mate (found some more good info here: http://stevish.com/all-about-flooring/wte-prefinished
do you know if theres a really good polish/wax type product to enhance the shine of what I have?

Last edited by Smokey; 01-04-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Smokes, you'd still have to prep and re-finish what you have with heavy duty sealant/gloss to get that sort of finish. One of the reasons why the pre-finished stuff is easier and cheaper.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

That second gloss floor looks like it would be a real pain to keep looking like that!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:21 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

I had 3 coats polyurethane and 2pac gloss in my last house and they wernt that bad to keep clean. They did show scratches though so had to put felt stoppers on all the furniture.

Dont polish your floors with polish or no joke you will constantly be slipping over! Its like wearing thongs on wet tiles.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

I have the prefinish floor thru the whole house....at the time the price of un-finished boards(~$65m2 cheapest) was more than the prefinished stuff($50m2)....so way cheaper to get it down, and then if you want you can sand it all and re-coat it at a later date.

We are waiting to ours shows enough wear to need the re-sanding...I did a lot of research first on how and who to lay the floor, it needs to be comopressed with special tools/clamps pinned into the concrete every 6 boards and then hidden nailed, and so on. Turned out there was only a couple of guys in wa that do it right so we waited a few months for him to be avaliable and it came out very good.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeggy
I have the prefinish floor thru the whole house....at the time the price of un-finished boards(~$65m2 cheapest) was more than the prefinished stuff($50m2)....so way cheaper to get it down, and then if you want you can sand it all and re-coat it at a later date.

We are waiting to ours shows enough wear to need the re-sanding...I did a lot of research first on how and who to lay the floor, it needs to be comopressed with special tools/clamps pinned into the concrete every 6 boards and then hidden nailed, and so on. Turned out there was only a couple of guys in wa that do it right so we waited a few months for him to be avaliable and it came out very good.
didnt use pre finnished but did it my self with a drill, hammer, wedge and about 1500 nails plus glue of course. Had it professionally sanded and polished and looks a Mil $

Cut the board, line up about 6 and glue, drill a few holes in the concrete about an inch in front and wedge them together tight with a wood wedge. Drill the board and through that hole predrill your concrete and hammer in the nails.

after it drys either pull out nails or centre punch them in and sand and polish

easy

If I ever do again would use nail gun though!

Tags
floors, prefinished