Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff
Thumbs up Karnivool

This thread is for our own WA rockers Karnivool!

www.myspace.com/karnivool

www.karnivool.com

As some may know, the new CD Sound Awake is out this Friday the 5th (about time!). It's one of the most anticipated Aussie band releases in recent times.
Since they started doing live shows, their fan base and reputation has grown so much that they are now regarded as one of Australia's best live performing bands in terms of technical brilliance and energy.
EG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XiJnWTrcjU
That clip is from 2006, so they have obviously improved futher since then.

I don't know about other people, but Themata was a CD that I just couldn't get out of my stereo, iPod, computer, head and life for reasons which are beyond me. It still is.
Being a drummer of 10 years, the odd song time signatures and sometimes complex beats on the drums was right up my ally. (eg the fact that Shutterspeed is in 3/4 but the hihat/ride often plays 4/4 and leaves the bass drum + snare to do as it will in 3/4 really opens up playing opportunities).

Juddy has done a really great job on the drums for this album (Drew did them on Themata, as well as guitar!).

So who's a fan of them on these forums? When did you become a fan? Have you seen live shows? What do you think of the new CD (it's up on MySpace now) etc etc.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Themata made me take notice of the efforts. I remember kenny in my earlier days of playing (drums) in the original band scene - circa last 15 years.

Big fan of the song writing style, and obviously the drum work
Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

big fan of karnivool, never used to be until they toured a bit more, they seemed to have picked their game up a few years ago and the last album was stoich
Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

DGSWRX at standard level

Like Karnivool prefer there old stuff but still like what they have done recent, cant wait.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

I knew these guys before they were cool

They did a gig at my old primary school (Andrew Goddard, or Drew as it appears hes calling himself these days was a few years above me) when they were first starting out, only a garage band.

From memory, Drew was on the drums back then.

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Love them, hadn't heard of them before but while I was at Uni in NSW a few years ago there was a big concert on (similar to Big Day Out) and I was right at front when I head them. Freakin awesome. Pity I was so drunk to enjoy the live show. Also found Fightstar from Wales, little softer but equally awesome.

Been listening to the album on TripleJ & can't wait for it. Buying it for sure.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Drew/Andy/Andrew is a drummer! At least that's what he says in interviews. "I'm not a good drummer for a guitarist; I'm a good guitarist for a drummer!" Insane that he is that good on both instruments.

I agree, Danny. Their 'old' stuff was quite structured, was around 4mins and had the regular 'beginning, middle, end' routine. Now they seem to just be all over the joint for 10 minutes. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a bit of a contrast, but Kenny reckens this is the sound they've always wanted to achieve; so if you like the old Vool, you better get used to this 'new' one.

Also, I'm looking forward to learning/making up harmonies with what Ian has done. He's fantastic with his harmonies; just listen to Birds of Tokyo. He knows exactly what he wants, and how loud (presence) he wants each one to be. Most people wouldn't know he's layered five or more notes at once in some sections, ranging from a low modal note up to a high falsetto.

So far my fav songs from the new album would be New Day, Set Fire to the Hive and Deadmann. Also, All I Know is growing on me.

Last edited by ALEX.; 03-06-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Dobbo at standard level

I've been a big fan since before persona was released a few years ago. Its been good to see them grow and evolve over time. ''Sound Awake'' has been a very long time coming indeed!!! I've been lucky enough to see them live about 15 times over the years. The new stuff is very very good, it will be a huge aussie release this year. It should see them clean up at the WAMI awards next year too. it'll suck with them being so successful tho! We'll see them in WA far less than we are used to, US and Europe is only a short time away for them now, especially after such a good tour of the US last year. ''New Day" and "Deadman" are amazing tracks. who wants 4 minute beginning, middle and end songs?? They are boring and predictable! bring on the 10 minute tracks i reckon, I'm loving the build up and peaks in the new songs. Kenny and Drew are bloody clever musicians as are Jono, Steve and Hos. Only question is can Kenny maintain BOT and Karnivool???
Bring on Friday!

Last edited by Dobbo; 03-06-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Much as it pains me to say this Dobbo, I recken if only one of the bands between Birds and Vool was going to survive with Kenny, Birds would win. Why? Because they have that wider appeal. And a lot of potential given their style. He'd surely make the decision to stay with what would be more succesful/popular.

Having said that, for now I think he's done a good job juggling the two. But when they're both raging on with growing popularity, it's gonna get very tough. I hope neither band suffers as a result of him not being around as much to help write new songs with as much input as they might want.

Like I said, he's managed so far, but the next few years will get tough, especially with Birds already wanting to sit down and play with ideas for a new album!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

oh and Heavy Weight Champ > Karnivool, but HWC broke up

Tags
karnivool