Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex View Post
Resit of licence tests? Bugger that. I've done nothing wrong, I don't see why I need to resit my tests. Maybe if I have a poor record of disobeying road rules and whatnot.
Too pick up the bad habits. Like not indicating properly. Or drumming it into the thick friggin skulls out there on how to acheive proper traffic flow while merging, going through round-a-bouts et al.

Just because you don't have a record of disobeying road rules doesn't automatically mean you don't break them. "I am not perfect"
Old 20-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

I know I'm not perfect either, but still. And who would pay for them would probably become the big talking point in all this if it ever were to be put into the spotlight. I have no idea what the cost is of these tests as it has been a while. But will the licence holder have to pay to get a resit every four years? As far as I'm aware from people having to redo licences and whatnot, it's not exactly cheap.
Old 20-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex View Post
I know I'm not perfect either, but still. And who would pay for them would probably become the big talking point in all this if it ever were to be put into the spotlight. I have no idea what the cost is of these tests as it has been a while. But will the licence holder have to pay to get a resit every four years? As far as I'm aware from people having to redo licences and whatnot, it's not exactly cheap.
It's not expensive if you pass. Would likely be offset in a reduction in insurance premiums.

Rules do change and by having to do a re-test it forces people to stay up to date. When I did my Articulated licence in SA 13 years ago I went straight from a car to the Semi so had to do a 3 day road rules and 3 days practical course ( Change tires, tarping etc ). Out of the 18 doing it I was the only one that knew the all the road rules we were tested on ( folks owned a driving school ). 12 of the 18 didn't even know the basic stuff.

Must admit there is stuff that has changed that I can't say I know the letter of the law so a refresher is not such a bad thing.

I'd be inclined to suggest every 2 years until 25 ( after 7 odd years reasonable habits SHOULD be reasonably well reinforced ). 5 years thereafter until 60 and then back to every 2 years.
Old 20-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

You need a refresher course on a forklift every, what, 10 years? Or is it less? Why not cars? There's a lot more people driving them!

I agree Phil: a few compulsory tests. Maybe it'd be better to have 'spot tests'. ie: you get a letter/phone call saying "there's someone coming out to you on this day NEXT WEEK to sit in with you and see how you go." that way it's a bit like a pop quiz, and you can see how a person really drives when they have little warning to suddenly "learn how to pass the test". ??
Old 21-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

- Resitting a drivers test every 10 years would be a good start. It would make sure people are up to speed on the changes that happen to the road rules.

- Teaching people how to merge i.e. just because you are a couple of car lengths behind me on the freeway and I'm going to be one spot infront, doesn't mean you have the right to push past me at the merge point.

- Lower licensing fees for those that have completed advanced driver courses. Or a demerit point rebate (i.e. get 3 points back for successfully completing an advanced driver test).

- Turning left on red, like every other place in the world.

- Realistic speedlimits. Why did Leach Hwy drop from 80 to 70 in sections?

- Syncing traffic lights. Why on earth traffic lights 50m apart are never in sync amazes me.

- Designing freeways/highways without merging lanes right at the start. i.e. new traffic has its own lane for a considerable time allowing easy merging. Not the shambles of Roe Hwy - Kwinana Freeway, where 2 lanes of Roe Hwy merge into 1 lane and then around the corner that 1 lane of highway traffic needs to merge into the 2 lanes of the freeway traffic. And look what happens, its a carpark every day.

- Higher penalties for road ragers, concentrate on them not hoons. Being yelled at by some 'macho small short wearing idiot' for getting infront of them, then having them shoot around you and hitting the skids is 1000x more dangerous than going 10-20kmh over the limit on the freeway.

I could go on for a few more pages I think!
Old 21-10-2009, 11:39 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Where is Balsac and the Learn to Merge web site when you need it ?
Old 21-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

drink driving should fall under the hoon laws, "oh you're a little tipsy? say goodbye to your car"
Old 21-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemist View Post
3) Round-a-bouts - They're not overly complicated. Unless your turning left or right you don't need to indicate heading into a round-a-bout, you only need to indicate your intention to exit the round-a-bout one exit prior. Nothing worse than sitting waiting to enter a round-a-bout because some num nuts is indicating right but going straight through!
Its not surprising that this is common place as the RAC published that it is the correct way to signal when driving straight thru a roundabout in there latest magazine ???

http://rac.com.au/Media/Media-releas...out-Rules.aspx
Old 22-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

If you have pole position at a set of lights, your obligated to get off the mark swiftly. : )

I have been in row 3 or 4 and almost missed lights because people are super slow at getting their shit together.
Old 22-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
Where is Balsac and the Learn to Merge web site when you need it ?
Ha ha, its down at the moment but I'm going to be integrating it some time in the coming months, with Antilag.com's website.

Tags
improved, road, rulescould, wa