Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2009, 04:29 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru
Default WA Road Rules..could they be improved?

I am not aiming to write an essay but there are a couple of things that have had me scratching my head for a long time. Here goes:

1. No left on red after stopping / yielding to on coming traffic.

Why wont they let you do this at all lights? It works well in the USA where drivers can turn right on red after stopping / yielding to on coming traffic. Surely in gods name we could safely handle this concept too?

2. Why no commuter lane on our freeways?

Again in the USA they have the furthest inside lane of freeways designated as a commuter lane. You can only drive in it if you have two or more passengers. The speed limit is 10 mph faster if driving in that lane and commuters use it because they are traveling long distances in that lane with no need to weave in and out of traffic.

The congestion on Perth roads is only going to get worse in the next 10 years and it seems to me that creating bus lanes & train stations without enough parking lots to park their cars aint going to fix it.
Old 20-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

of course they could. you can turn left on a red in NSW and its awesome IMO. I like the idea of putting cones in the middle of the road on the freeway so you are stuck in the right hand lane for like 2 exits, to encourage slow drivers and people casually sitting in it to stay the fuck out. Lots of things could be fixed up, Perth roads and its drivers shit me to tears. But it is better than some places I have been! QLD and NSW drivers stop at mergking lanes... omg the speedlimits 110 and you've just STOPPED??
Old 20-10-2009, 04:43 PM
The Modulator

So why wont they do that in WA. Can you imagine how much traffic flow would be if they allowed those sorts of things I mentioned?

Merging on to freeway here...oh what a feeling of frustration. You would be lucky to hit 90 on most occasions with the drivers here. No wonder you see so much congestion for no farking real reason.
Old 20-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

1. Totally agree, I raised this point the other day infact to someone in my car with me. I know in the east you can do it. I think WA drivers struggle at give way and stop signs to follow the rules, don't want to confuse them too much.

Even near my work, there is a set of lights where the arrow goes green to turn left, whilst the other lanes are turning, and the amount of times I see people just sitting there waiting to turn, with their indicators on, and not going.. it shits me!

2. The 'free'ways are a joke, don't even attempt to fix it! There is 1 lane that goes from Burns Beach Rd, to the Forrest Hwy, 1 lane.. Too many merge points, too many exits, too many idiots that don't know how! The problem all comes down to merging, and people in WA thinking they own the road, and 'there is no way in hell that little car is getting in front of me....'

3. Double lane roundabouts or even roundabouts in general.... Where do I start... I just wont.

Dave, sadly, I think the state of WA roads is a lost cause. People here have a shitty attitude, no one is in a rush to get anywhere, yet everyone thinks they own the road. Not suggesting i'm the perfect driver, as no doubt I have done some stupid shit in my times but I do try and make a concious effort to consider others on the road, as well as assuming everyone else on the road is a complete and utter moron, so I don't get written off..
Old 20-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

You can turn on a red in Darwin too.

Turning right on a red and the diamond lane in the states is fucking amazing!

EDIT: Tip for travelers to the states: pack a blow up doll so you can (have a good time) use the diamond/commuter lane and not pay a toll
Old 20-10-2009, 05:24 PM
The Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682 View Post
EDIT: Tip for travelers to the states: pack a blow up doll so you can (have a good time) use the diamond/commuter lane and not pay a toll
LOL in California thats a rule not an exception
Old 20-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
LOL in California thats a rule not an exception
We always blasted through the etag system, without an etag, no plates on the vehicle ftw.

What are they gonna do? call the cops and say oh hai we saw a black bmw blast thru without an etag.

Oh ok toll booth willy, that just narrowed it down to 100,000 bmw's in california :P

Of course if there is a cop sitting and waiting for you to do this, then you are fucked
Old 20-10-2009, 05:58 PM
The Modulator

cardboard TJ in the seat next to you FTW
Old 20-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

As a few people have said, it comes more down to the drivers on the roads. If people continue to putt around on the freeway like it's a sunday, stop at give ways unneccesarily, sit in the left hand lanes heading straight on when there is a left turning light, etc etc, then regardless of the changes to the laws, it won't make a difference.
Old 20-10-2009, 06:37 PM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr? View Post
I like the idea of putting cones in the middle of the road on the freeway so you are stuck in the right hand lane for like 2 exits, to encourage slow drivers and people casually sitting in it to stay the fuck out.
Nooooooooo!!!!

It only takes one tard who slows down because he/she is scared of the cones or an even bigger tard who changes lanes THROUGH THE CONES* regardless of panel damage to cause an even worse traffic flow problem.

*I have driven with such a person

Tags
improved, road, rulescould, wa