Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-2006, 04:41 PM
STI Master

Miggidy at standard level

Hey W ARGHH X I have a mate who is looking for work on the mines.

He has his HR and all his mine certs needed and has great experience. He used to be a feild medic in the army and drove al sorts of things there. I would have thought the mines would snap up a feild medic in the dangerous industry it is but he is having difficulty finding anything.

What is the best thing he can do to talk to the right people?

Also I'm a systems admin/VoIP engineer, any IT job openings there?
Old 20-01-2006, 05:11 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

The best thing to do is be a pain in the ass hehe

Call and nag and call and nag the recruitment places. Everyday even!! They get hundreds of people signing up for jobs, but very few actually nag enough for these people to remember who you are. There are truck driving jobs suppost to be going in the paper this sat for Tefler. My suggestion is for him to give DT Workforce a call and fill out the application. Then just annoy the crap out of them sayin " is there anything there yet. Im ready to leave 2moro if needed " etc etc. Just talk shit to them and sound like you are the best, most reliable person that they coule hire and that your EXTREMELY keen to work there.

Unfortunately, the recruitment places are just there to get paid, so a majority of the time your resume etc gets lost or thrown out cause they couldnt give a rats Hense why if you call and keep in touch alot, they get to remember " that guy that seems to be really keen"

This is just from experience and pretty much what almost all the people here that have done to get mining jobs.
Old 20-01-2006, 05:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggidy
What is the best thing he can do to talk to the right people?

Also I'm a systems admin/VoIP engineer, any IT job openings there?
Get in touch with the recuitment companies mentioned above. Also keep looking at West Australian on Saturday, there are lots of truck driving/operating jobs in there. Unfortunately, most companies are still after people with some recent mining experience as they are often too busy to train people from scratch, and more commonly getting sick of training people who snatch it after a few months when they get sick of the roster/hours.

There are fewer jobs in a medic side of things as mines only require a handful of full time medics. It is a useful asset to have if going for a operator position though.

I'm a geo in the mines. Make sure you have a good CV. Put all your recent jobs in your CV and put in good detail (eg. specific start finish dates eg feb 2005-sept 2005, duties, company name)...gaps in record look dodgy. I've been reviewing some CV's lately, and it amazes me how few details some people put in there. If CV is poor, it doesn't matter how much you know/how good you talk as you won't get the opportunity for interview.

Not many IT jobs anywhere I have been lately...automation is the name of the game. Data systems being set up to do everything automatic across the net...replacing need for IT data administrators.
Old 20-01-2006, 10:14 PM
STI Master

Miggidy at standard level

Cheers guys,

My room mate sends a big thanks for all the input, hes gonna give it a try.

thanks again!
Old 21-01-2006, 03:55 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

quigebo at standard level

why work away when you can get paid that cash on the strip

2days, 2 nights & 6 off.. oh wot am i gunna do for the next week..
Old 21-01-2006, 06:00 PM
STiroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLM
I wanna drive tonka trucks so i can buy me a house

Thanks for all the info guys, Ive had plenty of jobs with fucked hours, that doesnt bother me. I just think its time to earn some real bucks so i can buy some land and build a 10 car garage with a hoist or 4.
Whilst Mining companies have lots to offer directly, dont forget there is a lot of expansion being carried out in the Pilbara region as well. These expansions require a lot of construction labour resources. Consider making approaches to the major Contractors who work in this region carrying out construction work - typically Macmahon Contractors (if you want to drive a haul truck), Monadelphous, Thiess etc etc You will find them all very keen, and excellent packages are offered.

Tags
fukt