Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 11:25 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

ACE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed View Post
Nah I'll install the speakers myself. I'm trying to keep the room pretty minimalist, so prefer style over function. Doesn't need to be a 10k setup, but I don't want complete junk.
I use a Bose Lifestyle system at home, it cost me around 4k all up and i'm very happy with it.

I went with Bose since there was a good mix of style and sound quality, plus living in an apartment with common walls made it difficult to run speaker wires around the room so the Bose wireless transmitter came in very handy. Space is a premium as well and I didn't want big dirty speakers cluttering the room.

There are heaps of Bose haters out there, and loads of stories about marketing sucking in buyers and charging stupid prices for something that comes out of the (insert generic brand here) factory.

At the end of the day its my house, my money and I'm very happy with my Bose purchase. I'm also very happy with the sound quality, which is great - since mine is the only opinion that matters
Old 24-08-2010, 11:28 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-ho...ver-sku-99367/

How about this for a receiver?
Old 24-08-2010, 11:34 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Like everything, depends on how serious you want to get into it.

I have an older version of this as my "daily" and I think its a great allrounder. However, if I had the funds I would go buy a complete Bose setup tomorrow for my actual theatre room (work in progress)

Oh, and you can buy ceiling mounts for those speakers, however most Home Theatre forums recommend mounting at head height, not ceiling. Also depends on room layout etc.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Like the others have said, if you want something top notch you will need to fork out >>$1K. A 6.1 surround sound amplifier is the best way to go...and connect to that the following: 1 x front centre speaker, 2 x front (L&R) speakers, 3 x rear speakers (L,R centre), sub woofer...and there you have it.
I have my 3 rears ceiling mounted and they work well.
I assume you want ceiling mount since your veiwing seat is up against a wall?

The other option is to use 3 x small wall mount rear wireless speakers.
...which all leads me to the following that I have for sale for $399...and it is brand new...the only other thing you would need to make the rears wireless is a wireless sender (which plugs into the BluRay) and a receiver for the rears (which could sit out of sight)...such a Panasonic kit costs $199 RRP.
So for under $600 you would have a state of the art compact surround sound with BluRay Player and Sub woofer...check it out here...

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/quokka/36424-panasonic-bluray-home-theatre-system-brand-new.html
Old 24-08-2010, 11:37 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
Like the others have said, if you want something top notch you will need to fork out >>$1K. A 6.1 surround sound amplifier is the best way to go...and connect to that the following: 1 x front centre speaker, 2 x front (L&R) speakers, 3 x rear speakers (L,R centre), sub woofer...and there you have it.
I have my 3 rears ceiling mounted and they work well.
I assume you want ceiling mount since your veiwing seat is up against a wall?

The other option is to use 3 x small wall mount rear wireless speakers.
...which all leads me to the following that I have for sale for $399...and it is brand new...the only other thing you would need to make the rears wireless is a wireless sender (which plugs into the BluRay) and a receiver for the rears (which could sit out of sight)...such a Panasonic kit costs $199 RRP.
So for under $600 you would have a state of the art compact surround sound with BluRay Player and Sub woofer...check it out here...

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/quokka/36424-panasonic-bluray-home-theatre-system-brand-new.html
Hi mate, yeah checked out your system for sale, but I want the rear 3 speakers ceiling mounted. What brand have you got?
Old 24-08-2010, 11:38 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Yeah, but you really want 6.1...
Old 24-08-2010, 11:40 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Hi mate, yeah checked out your system for sale, but I want the rear 3 speakers ceiling mounted. What brand have you got?
Can't actually remember...they are some Swiss brand...and they didn't come that cheap.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Stalker at standard level

I've got a Denon 5.1 Amp and Jamo speakers and they are brilliant combo. Came in at $2500 without cables, rear speaker stands, etc.

Most people will tell you to spend a bit extra and get some decent gear. I started with a budget of $1k initially as well. haha If this isn't an option, then the pack for sale above is probably a good alternative and will save you some coin.

Don't be tempted by the Sony or Pioneer options at the magic $1k price mark. Poorly made and you will be shopping again in no time either due to component failure or dissatisfaction with the sound quality.

FYI - Just be aware that ceiling mounted speakers can lead to other issues, as I've found out with the speakers I've got in my ceiling of the alfresco / patio area. Namely if you turn 'em up too loud and the roof space becomes a large enclosure and the sound can be heard (although muted) in every room in the house.

Not sure of the specific model but they are made by Clipsal - something like this http://www.cleverhome.com.au/automation/Clipsal-Speakers-Krix-Premium.pdf

Good luck.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:48 PM