Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

For quality you really need to x 4 your budget ,

A good quality amp will set you back about 2k and good set of fronts will cost you 2k

Rears are not so important, Just a set of ceiling mounted speakers,

And then leaves your centre speaker.

Depending on the size of your theatre room will decide if 7.1 is worth it.

To be honest I would say 5.1 is fine and more than enough for the average size theatre room.

Never get those all in one packs. Waste of time and money.

Just keep saving mate and get all seperate gear.
Old 24-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRENUF View Post
For quality you really need to x 4 your budget ,

A good quality amp will set you back about 2k and good set of fronts will cost you 2k

Rears are not so important, Just a set of ceiling mounted speakers,
Agree with you up until the last statement 'but this would be dependant on where your roof mounted speakers are positioned i.e position slightly back from where you would be sitting, angled down and towards the front etc'.

From my car audio experience rear fill adds for a more 3D audio experience as with a predominantly front stage set up it sounds like the sound is 'for lack of a better word', imprisoned there.

Like anything audio you can go nuts with it or be practical. I don't see any real need for overkill at home as its not as if you can db drag race with the house next door, but you can get fined for disturbing the peace

Bro-in-law has an outrageous home theatre set up 'excess 20k on 7speakers, amp, screen and 1080 projector', sounds awesome but its not like he's ever going to use it for its designed purpose, being more practical he would have been able to have purchased a fully pimped out seating arrangement and put some cash into sound proofing.

Each to their own, with what ever direction they choose though.

Last edited by mARC; 24-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 24-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Agree with you up until the last statement 'but this would be dependant on where your roof mounted speakers are positioned i.e inline with where you would be sitting etc'.

From my car audio experience rear fill adds for a more 3D audio experience as with a predominantly front stage set up it sounds like the sound is 'for lack of a better word', imprisoned there.
huh ? lost me there. So what do mean, better quality rears or the position of them ?

edit: I re read that.

so directly above you head no good. But set back away from you better ?
Old 24-08-2010, 08:16 PM

mARC at standard level

I'm assuming you meant a similar set up to this?

Trying to find a picture of what I wrote above, but googlefoo isn't working for me tonight.

But will try explaining it with reference to pic one.

Having the wall mounted speakers behind you angled down and at the back of your head would imo give more depth of sound, as having the wall mounted side speakers flat and in line with you would be just throwing the sound left to right.

From my experience only, I prefer a set up more like this:

Disregard the second image in the two part split, and the additional wall mounted front speakers in pic one.

Over 9,000 edits later I thing this makes sense but I can't brain today.

Last edited by mARC; 24-08-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 24-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Over 9,000 edits later I thing this makes sense but I can't brain today.
Nope
Old 24-08-2010, 08:31 PM

mARC at standard level

muuuuuuuuuuuuum help, the internets picking on me
Old 24-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac View Post
I run a denon amp and b&w speakers mostly for my xbox .It will bring a whole new level of immersion to your gaming if you can get the sound setup right .They say to allow 10% of your budget for cables, it makes a huge difference with a good quality speaker wire.
Similar set-up. Bowers & Wilkins System 683 fronts bi-wired to 4 channels of a Yamaha RX-V3800 7.1 (7x130wrms) amp so that goes to 5.1 set-up like that with a ASW610XP 2x200 DVC 10" sub. Still to buy the DS3 rears and HTM61 centre speaker. Farkin rocks as is though. I went with B&W over other speakers from Klipsch and Focal as they are a true 3-way front stage and purely just sounded the best. But this is getting way off topic.

Home theatre in a box or more money required perthzed
Old 24-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

p1nKcL0cK at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latenitez View Post
my brothers has these and they work really well with the ps3 etc just a bit bulky and takes up a little space but definetly worth the money and he has the older model as well. i would recommend the sony mate for the price you have given or prepare to spend a bit more especially for speakers in the ceiling. Are you wanting them profesionally installed if you go that path?
a friend of mine has the older model and they do really well (for the price) with PS3/ movies.
as mentioned before you can mount the rear speakers.

as to 7.1 vs 5.1 etc. its the number of speakers and subs. (ie the sony is a 7.2 in this case).

as mentioned $1k i not alot for "a very good system".

wade at good guys o'connor has always looked after me. noone has ever beat his price quotes (been going for years now). tell him ben sent you and he'll look after you.

all the best
ben
Old 24-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

You could buy half now, half later?
I.e: Grab yourself a decent amp that will power any future plans (7.1 at least) and grab some nice front L & R speakers and perhaps your sub too. That way, you get a nice sound now.

A while down the track you can buy another couple speakers for the rear + centre channel to get the 5.1 happening.

A while more down the track you might want to add the final lot of speakers to bring it to 7.1 or 9.1.

Much better to buy some nice stuff over a year/couple years than to buy a whack of – well let's be honest, for a $1K budget – very average stuff all at once.

I have and will do similar. Had my amp, sub + fronts (B&W) for a while, with plans to get the rest later. Good front speakers are a fantastic investment when you think about how much % they play of what you hear, and how long you will have them. I know you have a budget but there are ways to stretch it. Half now, half later could be one of them?
Old 24-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

I rate the ONKYO receivers....

I've had Denon, pioneer,phony & Merantz.

The Onkyo tx-sr606 I now have trumps them all.
7 driven channels + sub
4 x HDMI
in built video upscaling to 1080i
dual zone capable

Onkyo : http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f

It features Audyssey 2 auto room Eq utilizing a special Microphone.

"The Audyssey 2EQ process takes about 10 minutes, during which time the receiver sends test tones to all of the speakers and sub. The Onkyo TX-SR606 then adjusts the channel volume level and time delay settings for each speaker, the speaker "sizes," and subwoofer crossover settings. The Audyssey 2EQ also provides equalization corrections to the speakers and sub, which we felt significantly improved the sound of our Aperion Intimus 5B Harmony SD satellite/subwoofer system. The auto setup was just as accurate as our manual setup."

It supports all current formats: including DTS-HD, Dolby true HD, dolby & dts Master.

You can load it down to 3 ohms a channel for 210 watt per channel output (x 7)
It also has the ability to bi-amp whatever front speakers you go for to total 420 watt per channel @ 3 ohm's.

Mine is driving a 5.1 speaker stack using Db Dynamic's Vega F45 6 ohm bi-amped front floor standers, matching centre & surrounds with a 400 watt active sub.

It's enough to rattle the windows in the other end of the house....with clarity!

Jb have this; the TX-sr608 is the new update of the 606 I have. it has more HDMI inputs & THX processing.
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-ho...ver-sku-90608/

Spend your $$ on a good receiver now, rather than having to re-buy later.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 24-08-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Tags
question, sound, surround