Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 06:27 PM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-rex-shon
Yeah atz I'm in the same boat. I used to ride a Giant atx 870 (????) with front sus back in Tassie a few years ago. Great bikes and I gave it hell. Looking to buy a new (or good second-hand) bike in the next few weeks. The latest full suspesion bikes are filth tho! No bob on climb, some even have full rear lockout and disc brakes are excellent these days.

Bugeye Sti, what is the best frame size for a 183cm 83kg bloke for tarmac and weekend cross country/single train duties???? Good bike shops around town?? What's a good model for about $1200??? I know MTBreview.com is a great site for comparisons, just after your opinion.

Right-Have too make this quick cos im on a sat link with the laptop in the sticx!!

Depending on style and bike maker-i.e., long top tube vs short top tube bikes(i ride a short top tube GT bike though they traditionally long top tube) i would suggest possible 18"/19"-thats a rough estimate. If you want a nice stable but dynamic ride i would be going for the 19". You can change the length of the stem and alter where the seat sits....change angle of brake le vers....(i used to do a bike set up for some of wellingtons best and DH/cross country some road riders at my shop-its quite fun cos the amount of change you get in performance and comfort just from.....im raving)

Anyway, yeh based on your size, the other thing you have to figure out is if you have a long torso and short legs or short torso and your ALL legs(girls like to be told there all legs )-this will dictate whether you suit log top tube bike or short top tube bike.

So for example(i am very similar 185cm and 95kg)i ride a 18" GT DH rig and a 19" giant XTC1(rebuilt) with differing stems and because ive got long torso.

Bike shops in perth-sometimes its like when you by a car-either you like the service and you get screwed, you dont like the service and still get screwed or you come away with nothing-be prepared to be screwed sorry. That being said, there is a bike shop in N/perth on Charles street where i get all my gear-The mech "richard" is a top bloke and wont spin webs of bs. He built my race wheels for me.

P.s. the higher level bike in the giant line up-there frames have very similar geometry(within reason). Dont let someone talk you into spending more than $1400 for the bike cos after that the frames differ very little its only compt. The only expense that you should go for is Hydro brakes!!! Dont frigg around with cables!!!

Hope this helps bro.

P-WRX MTB/Free ride club sounds like a mint idea.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

cool, pretty much sold on the Giant I think, of some sort...

Frame size, I'm 180cm, 100kg so I assume frame = big??
Old 10-02-2006, 06:41 PM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by atz 242
cool, pretty much sold on the Giant I think, of some sort...

Frame size, I'm 180cm, 100kg so I assume frame = big??
Dont by a big bike cos cos your 100kg. You will not break the frame!!!! lol, its a urban myth!! get one thats comfy!!!! These things are made from psudo-aircraft grade alluminium and ive only cracked one frame and that was a ultra lght road bike.

Giants have 8-10yrs frame warranty on most of there MTB-go out and give it death!!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Sir AntiLag

D1josh at standard level

it all depends on what sort of terrain u wanna ride dude. Best all round bike in my honest opinion, for trail, street or skate park is DEFINATLY the STP1. Ive ridden a DBR and doenst even come close. Ive also ridden craftworks and iron horses team downhill bikes, if you wanna do massive jumps or downhill, im a huge fan of the iron horse.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:39 AM
STI Master

Ethos at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Ethos

Just recently bought a Mongoose Tyax Comp...
Its a good basic bike with front suspension...
Another good basic bike is Giant Boulder...
Old 11-02-2006, 01:05 AM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

ive got a giant FS if u are interested. it cost me 3k about 3 yrs ago. havent ridden more than a handful of times. its a hard tail with hydr brakes from what i can remember. collecting dust in the garage.
a reasonable offer will secure it
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugeyeSti
Right-Have too make this quick cos im on a sat link with the laptop in the sticx!!
LOL....welcome to the perth wrx forum addict group - session now in progress......
Old 11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PFFT]
ive got a giant FS if u are interested. it cost me 3k about 3 yrs ago. havent ridden more than a handful of times. its a hard tail with hydr brakes from what i can remember. collecting dust in the garage.
a reasonable offer will secure it

pics or stfu : )
Old 11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Freak.GT

I own a bikeshop near Fremantle, Revolution Cycles Central. Its near the end of Rockingham Rd. Only work there Friday & Saturdays.

Will give anyone on the forum a good deal :-) We dont carry Gaint, as some other big fancy wank store in Freo do those. However, we are GT, Diamondback, Mongoose and Apollo Dealers to name a few MTB ones. And yeah GT do some damn nice rides :-)

I bought the shop about 6 months ago from a longtime friend. The shop was a piece of poop then, but now we've made it into something special !

I've competed in BMX at International level for many many years. So atleast you know I aint trying to get the quick sale and will get you a bike thats actually suitable for what you want.

So yeah give us a call any Friday or Saturday 9430 5338.
Otherwise its Unit 18, 51 Rockingham Rd, Cockburn. Opposite 5 star Yamaha.

Cheerio,

Scott
Old 11-02-2006, 04:55 PM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak.GT
I own a bikeshop near Fremantle, Revolution Cycles Central. Its near the end of Rockingham Rd. Only work there Friday & Saturdays.

Will give anyone on the forum a good deal :-) We dont carry Gaint, as some other big fancy wank store in Freo do those. However, we are GT, Diamondback, Mongoose and Apollo Dealers to name a few MTB ones. And yeah GT do some damn nice rides :-)

I bought the shop about 6 months ago from a longtime friend. The shop was a piece of poop then, but now we've made it into something special !

I've competed in BMX at International level for many many years. So atleast you know I aint trying to get the quick sale and will get you a bike thats actually suitable for what you want.

So yeah give us a call any Friday or Saturday 9430 5338.
Otherwise its Unit 18, 51 Rockingham Rd, Cockburn. Opposite 5 star Yamaha.

Cheerio,

Scott

Arh a real rider! might have to come check you guys out when im back in town, getting my jump bike boated over so might get you to tune her up!!

Tags
bikes, mountain