Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   iPhone iFail help!!!!!! please (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/38250-iphone-ifail-help-please.html)

Soksta 09-11-2010 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=JDM_STYLE;510233]Desire HD offers an 8 MegaPixel Camera with dual flash which is much more superior compared to HTC Desire and has HD 720 recording and playback.[/QUOTE]

Froyo (2.2) saw 720p recording available on the Desire.

[QUOTE=JDM_STYLE;510233]Desire HD uses android froyo 2.2 and Desire uses android eclair 2.1.[/QUOTE]

The Froyo OTA update went live about 2 months ago, I've been using it on my Desire from the minute it was available :D

[QUOTE=JDM_STYLE;510233]Last but not least it looks better than the regular Desire and that was the main reason beside have flash player 10 etc etc. :D [/QUOTE]

You can download flash player 10.1 from the market place on the Desire.

[QUOTE=Master D;510258]The only complaint my friends have had Is the battery life is shockingly bad. ie overnight charge, battery is just about flat by 10am with moderate use.[/QUOTE]

If you know how to manage the phone, then battery life will not be an issue.
You can use an application killer to make sure that apps aren't running when you don't need them and you can also toggle when your molbile internet/wifi/bluetooth/gps is running.
I get 3 to 4 days charge out of my Desire :D
Might be worth mentioning that after Froyo was released, battery life was much better!

Master D 09-11-2010 08:18 AM

Wow. I'll have to mention this to my mates. Cos yeah he's really disappointed with it so far. He has been using application killer but before he had it he was getting 3hrs max out of the battery.

Soksta 09-11-2010 08:26 AM

Some of the application killers are crap.
I've been using Task Manager by Rhythm Software and have had no issues at all.
If he is getting 3 hours out of his battery, must be one hell of a program running in the background :eek:

Kato 09-11-2010 09:24 AM

Are the genuine Telstra Desire's running 2.2 yet? I know you can import a EU Desire and update to that, you can also root the phone (oh wait, ppl will do all this yet complain about jailbreaking an iPhone ;) anyways...).

My biggest issue with android phones in Australia (for the general users) is they have to wait a long time for Telstra to re-brand the updates.

FYI battery life can be substantially extended on android devices by underclocking the phone whilst the screen is off (i.e. in standby). However this isn't an out of the box feature and reminds me of hacking the original iPhone.

Desire HD is a great looking phone Wayne, I'll be interested if you think it is too big.

Soksta 09-11-2010 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Kato;510274]Are the genuine Telstra Desire's running 2.2 yet?[/QUOTE]

Telstra has rolled out the update 2 weeks ago.
I updated my sisters Desire with the OTA update on the weekend.
They have even more bloatware and crap on them now >.<
All the more reason to root :D

[QUOTE=Kato;510274]My biggest issue with android phones in Australia (for the general users) is they have to wait a long time for Telstra to re-brand the updates.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why you have rooting/modding guides, e.g. T-mod/Cyanogen to get Froyo on the Telstra desire using a radio rom that allows you to utilise the next-g network.

[QUOTE=Kato;510274]FYI battery life can be substantially extended on android devices by underclocking the phone whilst the screen is off (i.e. in standby).[/QUOTE]

Quite sure that this can only be done once the phone has been rooted, but once you have rooted the phone you can run it underclocked all the time, some people have reported that the phone isn't too slow to use.

Desire/Desire HD is an amazing phone, especially once you link it up to a google mail account.
Get to sync all your contacts & calendar entries :D

stinga 09-11-2010 10:01 AM

Yes size of this unit is a bit of an issue for me too....

Kato 09-11-2010 10:10 AM

^^ I just find it funny that people bitch that you need to jailbreak an iPhone to get it to do things, yet 'rooting' an android phone isn't seen as an issue.

Good to see Telstra finally released the firmware update after 2 months.

JDM_STYLE 09-11-2010 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=Soksta;510259]Froyo (2.2) saw 720p recording available on the Desire.

The Froyo OTA update went live about 2 months ago, I've been using it on my Desire from the minute it was available [IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

You can download flash player 10.1 from the market place on the Desire.

If you know how to manage the phone, then battery life will not be an issue.
You can use an application killer to make sure that apps aren't running when you don't need them and you can also toggle when your molbile internet/wifi/bluetooth/gps is running.
I get 3 to 4 days charge out of my Desire [IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Might be worth mentioning that after Froyo was released, battery life was much better![/QUOTE]

I'm not disputing they are NOW available via UPGRADE for the original Desire but why buy the older/ugly version of Desire when all that stuff is already loaded on the NEW and better looking version? the list I put up was just part of my reasoning as to why I decided on the HD version and not a bagging of the original phones short comings. :thumbsup:

[QUOTE=Kato;510274]Are the genuine Telstra Desire's running 2.2 yet? I know you can import a EU Desire and update to that, you can also root the phone (oh wait, ppl will do all this yet complain about jailbreaking an iPhone ;) anyways...).

[COLOR=Red]I belive they still come with the 2.1[/COLOR]

My biggest issue with android phones in Australia (for the general users) is they have to wait a long time for Telstra to re-brand the updates.

[COLOR=Red]Thats the main reason on going with Vodafone and not Telstra besides the fact the HD version is only available with Vodafone.[/COLOR] [IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

FYI battery life can be substantially extended on android devices by underclocking the phone whilst the screen is off (i.e. in standby). However this isn't an out of the box feature and reminds me of hacking the original iPhone.

[COLOR=Red]Yep there is lots of little settings of things you don't need running 24/7 that you can adjust[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]to extend the battery life.

But one tip if seen is dont let the battery run out completely as it's not good for the battery and a recharge at around 20-30% is alot better for it.
[/COLOR]
Desire HD is a great looking phone Wayne, I'll be interested if you think it is too big.[/QUOTE]

Oh and the size is just fine for my big hands, I actually found it not really much bigger than my 3Gs when I tested one the other day so I dont think there will be any size issues unless you have little girly hands. :D

Bakks 09-11-2010 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=Master D;510258]From what I've seen the desires are really awesome. The only complaint my friends have had Is the battery life is shockingly bad. ie overnight charge, battery is just about flat by 10am with moderate use.[/QUOTE]

I went from Iphone to Desire, and to be honest I think the Iphone is a better phone. Its just easier to use.

magic1 09-11-2010 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=Bakks;510426]I went from Iphone to Desire, and to be honest I think the Iphone is a better phone. Its just easier to use.[/QUOTE]

+1

juice defender and 2.2 have made it a better phone though.