Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I'm also looking.

One thing I haven't worked out is do you use the solar power from the cells, or is that all just fed back into the grid, money paid to offset your bill cost?

I would like a setup with a battery backup and to only draw power from the grid when that is drained. Does that exist at a non-bullshit high price?
Old 21-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

you use power from the cells, any unused goes back onto the grid and you get 'credit' towards your bill. However the cost per unit has significantly decreased since the scheme was first launched. Ask Tristan. He gets paid the initial buy back price, which is 7 times the cost of a single unit of power I think.
Old 21-05-2012, 11:24 AM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI325V6 View Post
Just a tip, do NOT use True Value Solar, I have been waiting since the 10 Jan 2011 to get my system installed, I also paid on full on the 11/03/2011.

About as useful as tits on a bull this mob!!!!
we got a 3kw system thru them & had it installed 1 day before the cut off date in august.
no complaints here, first power bill for 2 months was 60c.
Old 21-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

governmant has now clicked on that it was way way way more popular than they can ever have imagined, thier buy back rate is now slashed as kym said
Old 21-05-2012, 12:36 PM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

Under the old rebate rate, we try not to use any of the solar power so we sell it all back into the grid at the higher rate. We buy back at night/peak time on the standard flat rate (not the "Smart" rates).

Our 3kW system is enough to meet half of our energy needs (family of 6) but almost all of our costs. We run in credit in Summer, debit in Winter. We are on target to pay for itself in under four years. With the new rates it would take about 10 years.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

I got mine installed just over a year ago (1.5kW), during the better rebates, since they do not pay you back every bill, rather they let it accumulate and pay you in a lump sump, power company now owes me $432 (as of last bill).
Was definately worth me getting.
Under the new rates I would guess that I would just break even, ie, not have any bill to pay.
Old 21-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

thommo at standard level

I got mine installed by allied energy out of this thread.

Out of my pocket it cost me $9500 for a 3kw system, but as of last bill I was about $1000 in credit.

I got in before they dropped the buy back tariff or the rebate so I get the 47c per unit buy back and the gouv paid about 5.5k to the initial cost.

Had it on the roof for 12 months this month I think we have never received a payment from the power company we just sit in credit.
Old 21-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

These days getting huge systems isn't as good as it used to be. Correct me if I'm wrong but the buy back price is equal to the sell price, hence getting a decent 1.5kw system (as thats where most of the rebate goes to) makes more sense I reckon.

On that note, anyone can hook me up to a good 1.5kw system, I will install the same system on 3 houses and pay in cash (if that helps)

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 21-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Scoobie Noobie

iced77 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete gopal View Post
These days getting huge systems isn't as good as it used to be. Correct me if I'm wrong but the buy back price is equal to the sell price, hence getting a decent 1.5kw system (as thats where most of the rebate goes to) makes more sense I reckon.

On that note, anyone can hook me up to a good 1.5kw system, I will install the same system on 3 houses and pay in cash (if that helps)
Yup. You have to get a system to cover the power usage that you use during the day. All additional units get fed into the grid and you get 7c a unit. It used to me 47c and then 27c.

So it only makes sense to get a large system if you are at home during the day to use up all the power generated by your solar panels. You don't want to generate any excess and get 7c for it. There's no incentive to do so.

I had a 3.7kW system installed April 2011 thru Infinite Home Energy and so far so good. They also did my parent's place which had some minor issues. They came back and had it sorted so I am quite happy with them. The other guys that get positive mentions on Whirlpool Forums is GSI Solar.

My wife's cousin went via Solar Harness and they had all sorts of issues with them.

Old 21-05-2012, 04:43 PM
STI Master

Giddyup at standard level

Have got a 4.2kw system with 16 x 250W panels. Not 190W panels. Since installation, haven't paid a cent. Currently $300 odd is credit. We have got it at the rate of 40c odd before the Gov clicked on. Got ours through Brockas, hassle free.

Tags
people power, power, solar