Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-06-2011, 05:10 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

wrxpc at standard level
Default PS3 yellow light of death - where to get fixed?

Hi there,

As the title says., our PS3 has shat and won't turn on. It tries to start up but only lasts for 1-2 seconds, beeps and then the yellow light comes on - not even enough time to get the disk to eject ...

I have a lot of computer hardware experience so I've had it apart looking for anything obvious, there wasn't a lot of dust in it and eveything 'looks' normal. When I press the on button I can hear the hard drive try to spin up, the big fan powers ok, but then there is 'click' (which may be the hard drive parking it's self, not sure) and then it powers down and flashes at me pathetically.

So, any one have any ideas please? Is there a good place to take it in Perth? Sending it back to Sony is one option but I believe it costs a packet for them to look at it and they might not be able to fix it anyway. It's well old so warranty isn't an option. I could always buy another one but then I don't get my saved games, and there is still a disk stuck in this one.

Cheers,

Wrxpc
Old 25-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

It is a PS3 fat? I'm sure there is a way to get your disc out, even if you have to force it. Just buy a new console if it's a PS3 fat, a new PS3 revision has just come out:

Quote:
Sony is rolling out a new PlayStation 3 model, the CECH-3000B, according to a Japanese retailer. The new PS3 model will apparently update and replace the current 320 GB PS3 systems once stock runs out. Pricing will remain the same, but some changes under the hood and aesthetically make this model at least noteworthy. Here's the rundown:

Weight reduced from 6.6 pounds to 5.7 pounds.
Power consumption cut from 230 watts to 200 watts.
External detail changes to power, eject buttons, LED lamps

Read more: New PlayStation 3 Model Outed By Sony Briefing To Japanese Retailer - G4tv.com
Old 25-06-2011, 08:14 PM
STI Master

mrclubspecevo4 at standard level

Repair Station in Joondalup.
highly recommended.
Old 23-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Sir AntiLag

rubberbudgie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to rubberbudgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxpc View Post
Hi there,

As the title says., our PS3 has shat and won't turn on. It tries to start up but only lasts for 1-2 seconds, beeps and then the yellow light comes on - not even enough time to get the disk to eject ...

I have a lot of computer hardware experience so I've had it apart looking for anything obvious, there wasn't a lot of dust in it and eveything 'looks' normal. When I press the on button I can hear the hard drive try to spin up, the big fan powers ok, but then there is 'click' (which may be the hard drive parking it's self, not sure) and then it powers down and flashes at me pathetically.

So, any one have any ideas please? Is there a good place to take it in Perth? Sending it back to Sony is one option but I believe it costs a packet for them to look at it and they might not be able to fix it anyway. It's well old so warranty isn't an option. I could always buy another one but then I don't get my saved games, and there is still a disk stuck in this one.

Cheers,

Wrxpc
Hey dude, not sure if you have got your PS3 fixed yet but if not then I have just fixed my PS3 that suddenly died last week with the yellow light of death so if you want a hand fixing yours then send me a PM and I'll be happy to help you out.
Old 23-07-2011, 09:20 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

wrxpc at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbudgie View Post
Hey dude, not sure if you have got your PS3 fixed yet but if not then I have just fixed my PS3 that suddenly died last week with the yellow light of death so if you want a hand fixing yours then send me a PM and I'll be happy to help you out.
Thanks, I meant to post before but I actually did fix it. After talking to the guys at the Repair Station I decided to have a crack myself. Nothing wrong with what they said (in fact they were pretty cool) but I figured I already had the thing apart and I had little to lose so I went for it.

I found and followed this: PS3 Yellow Light of Death Fix - YLOD Repair Guide - The Gilksy Files!! Great series of youtube videos that lead me through it step by step, very easy.

Did you do something similar to this?

Unfortunately for me it only lasted a couple of weeks and it has died again, so I'm going to try it one more time and then probably throw it.

Cheers,

Wrxpc
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

bringing the old topic back up, mine has died.

if i buy a new one can i take out the HD from this one and copy the saved games to my new one somehow?

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 AM
STI Master

Terry.Wrist at standard level

Jump on youtube and follow a few of the better guides to fix it.
I had this happen the other week to my PS3 and fixed it using a hairdryer (didn't have a heat gun)!!

Regarding your question I'm not sure but I can't see why not?

Tags
death, fixed, light, ps3, yellow