Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

aircoolhead at standard level
Default Radar / Laser

I know radar detectors are legal for use in WA but is there anything specifically prohibiting the use of a laser detector/jammer? Came across a product called the Lidatek LE-30 which jams the laser for 5 secs giving u time to react. After 5 secs the police radar is able to get a reading. This seems better than the Blinder where the police radar gets NO reading at all.
Anyone know which laser guns WA police use and how quick they are able to get a reading? Curious cos on a drive down to Margaret River a year ago i was targetted by a cop using a laser gun (hiding behind a big tree)..the Valentine radar detector i was using gave an instant alert at least 400m away (far enough that i couldnt even see him but i slammed the brakes instantly as i was WAY over the speed limit)..up to 200m away when i could actually see the cop he still had his gun fixed on me and apparently couldnt get a fix.
Old 18-06-2006, 01:57 PM
STI Master

1C3 at standard level

jammers are illegal, so is speeding
Old 18-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Scoobie Noobie

[estrap] at standard level

The police would prob change u with hindering police...

W.A. Police use the LTI Ultralyte..
Old 18-06-2006, 03:29 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Although.. pulsing a laser for say a parking meter distance is legal. If it hinders police speed measurement devices...opps.

*smirk*
Old 18-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C3
funny you should say that, i read that jamming radar is illegal, as its covered under the FCC(?) regulations.. but Lasers are under a different set of regs which aren't illegal to jam
Old 18-06-2006, 04:36 PM
STI Master

1C3 at standard level

they'll book you for something, regardless

it is an offense to hinder
Old 18-06-2006, 05:55 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Any device capable of jamming radar/laser speed measuring equipment, or returning false readings to same is illegal under telecommunications legislation. This is in addition to any other legislation including FCC provisions.

As for the time that laser takes to get a reading..... a third of a second with each trigger pull; and that was with the old LTI 20-20, can't say if it's any quicker with the newer models.
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 18-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

aircoolhead at standard level

Firstly i dont encourage or condone speeding. Having said that hands up those of us who have NEVER exceeded the speed limit! There is a difference between exceeding the speed limit (within reason) and excessive speeding and driving like an idiot and endangering yourself and others.
The problem in this country or at least in WA is the ridiculous policy of "zero tolerance" with regard to speed limits. ADR permits a 10pct tolerance on speedometers and yet the police insist on no tolerance.
The two times i have ever been booked for speeding were (1) by a multinova at 73kph on a 70kph zone on Winthrop Ave and (2) 112kph on a 110kph on a road down South close to Margaret River. The last one i was clocked by laser just as i was overtaking a car which was doing about 100kph.
How accurate is your speedo? How accurate is police radar/laser? spot on? I checked my speedo reading today against my GPS speed reading and it is out by 3kph @50kph, ie. with the speedo showing 50kph the true reading is 53kph (this is a new car on stock wheels). Presumably the variation may be higher the faster you go, so even if i was travelling at 110kph on the Freeway i could get booked for speeding.
I have travelled extensively and lived in other parts of th world and it is normal practice for police NOT to book you unless you exceed the speed limit by a reasonable amount, usually 10pct over.
Also in many countries the police will post warnings a certain distance BEFORE they position laser/multinova. The purpose is to slow cars down and achieve the purpose of fostering road safety.
Here the police hide behind trees, lamp posts or around corners in some "invisible" spots. They post signage AFTER you have passed a multinova!!The purpose is clearly revenue raising.
The usefulness of laser jamming for a few secs is that it allows you to cut your speed fractionally to well within the limit. If you are travelling at excessive speeds you wont be able to slow down in time anyway, or it will be very obvious that you have some equipment onboard.
Having said that, instead of guessing or vague references, surely someone can point me to which piece of legislation states exactly that laser jamming is prohibited and what the penalties are for a breach of this rule.
Old 18-06-2006, 07:06 PM
STI Master

Andy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C3
says he who topped out "HIS FRIENDS" bug eye on the freeway last weekend...
Old 18-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircoolhead
How accurate is your speedo? How accurate is police radar/laser? spot on? I
So true, completely unfair. How is that supposed to stop you speeding? They get $50 out of you for sticking to what you believe is the limit.

Tags
laser, radar