Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

I have done the AHG Defensive Driving Course, had my liciense for just shy of 8 years, never lost it. In the past 6 years I have averaged 110 - 200 km travel per day, so I would say Ive racked up some decent driving experience.

Note: The following comments may not be liked by all whom read it.

That said, although I think Im a good driver, I wouldnt say Im the best, nor the most experienced. What does scare me/concern me, is seeing very in-experienced drivers, getting behing the wheel of a high powered vehicle, and by high powered Im not talking about a V12, I just mean Commodores, Falcons, V8's, Turbo vehicles and yep, dare I say it, WRX's.
I cant say all in-experienced drivers are bad, a vast majority share 1 trait = Arrogance. They think they can drive, but in reality, cant drive for shit. How many times do you here of a young driver killed on the roads, then what a supprise, they were driving a Commodore or something with a fair amount of power.

Im a strong believer in that a vehicle that has any power should be earnt. Like they do with motorcycles, drivers should be limited to the power of vehicle they can drive until such time they can show they have suffient experience on the road to handle it.
I draw these beliefs on my observations on what I see on the road, and yes, before someone points it out.... an experienced driver can still be a bad driver. But as far as Im concerned.....
In-experience + Powerful car = Dangerous.

I really think limiting the vehicles used by inexperienced drivers would cut the road toll, either by power output (by kW) or by the power to weight ration, but meh, its not up to me.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 PM
The Kid

WRP10 is unrated
Send a message via MSN to WRP10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby2006
That said, although I think Im a good driver, I wouldnt say Im the best, nor the most experienced. What does scare me/concern me, is seeing very in-experienced drivers, getting behing the wheel of a high powered vehicle, and by high powered Im not talking about a V12, I just mean Commodores, Falcons, V8's, Turbo vehicles and yep, dare I say it, WRX's.
I cant say all in-experienced drivers are bad, a vast majority share 1 trait = Arrogance. They think they can drive, but in reality, cant drive for shit. How many times do you here of a young driver killed on the roads, then what a supprise, they were driving a Commodore or something with a fair amount of power.

Im a strong believer in that a vehicle that has any power should be earnt. Like they do with motorcycles, drivers should be limited to the power of vehicle they can drive until such time they can show they have suffient experience on the road to handle it.
I draw these beliefs on my observations on what I see on the road, and yes, before someone points it out.... an experienced driver can still be a bad driver. But as far as Im concerned.....
In-experience + Powerful car = Dangerous.
WELL SAID!

I completely agree with you and i fully understand that many have this belief and i am very priveliged to drive the car i do. I think drivers like myself should be far more harshly scrutinised when getting a license.

This is one reason why my car i going to stay running 8psi till i feel i can handle a more powerful vehicle and have FAR more driving experience (including AHG courses) under my belt
Old 01-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

saturation at standard level

driver training in this country is shit. Thats half the reason why

The brits do 160 because theyre confident doing it. I was lucky enough to do my learning in the UK and compared to what my family and mates have had to do here omg.

In addition god knows how many % are self/family trained by already poor/inexperienced drivers.

Its not just powerful cars gumby at the end of the day any driver in any car can be and is a hazard.

That shitbox hyundai doing 100 whilst tailgating you trying to keep up, whats he/she gonna do if you have to slam on the brakes ? Your dba's and abs etc all gonna work wonders, but for them its a magnified view of your subaru badges.

The whole system needs a reform, more training, less fines more demerits perhaps ? more stringent insurance.

It needs to go back to the emphasis on driving being a privelege not a right.

I know i sure as hell will think twice if doing 20-30 kmh over the limit will leave me with an automatic 1 month suspension etc.

Last edited by saturation; 01-01-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DarkMoose at standard level

I had a mirarge tailgating me for over half an hour tonight, until i decided to take on on ramp at about 80, my car with awd and properly setup suspension took it nicely. As for him he kissed the safty railing in a rather dramatic way trying to keep up. Never saw him after that.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:07 AM
The Kid

WRP10 is unrated
Send a message via MSN to WRP10

Antilag bitch!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

Dunno about you guys, but even though money can get tight, I'd much rather slow down at the thought of losing 10 of my 12 points (for argument's sake) for 40 km/h over, as compared to the $1k fine.

Money for some = endless.
Points + suspensions for all = Equal.

Take the CEO earning triple figures. He's got all the $1k payments he likes, but his points end at the same place everyone elses do.

Just another 2c.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

has anyone else noticed all the gov adverts about speeding show a falcon?

i particularly like the one where the guy t bones himself into the pole and it says 'at 5 kms over its a different story'

uhh huuu at 5 ks over the guy manages to t bone himself into a pole - thats ford drivers for you ;-)
Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

jezzamcbezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
In response to high failure rates in driving tests, the State Government will increase the learner's permit fee by almost $50, from $81.50 to $131.

lol, not revenue raising at all
I loved how the article justified the "increased expense will make young driver's take the whole process of getting your license approach more seriously"

What a load of crap. How stupid do the pollies think we are? 17 year olds won't blink an eye at "the seriousness of getting their license" JUST because it's another $50, they just want the "independence and freedom" driving a car will give them. It's no wonder we are one of the heaviest taxed countries in the world.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Subaru Tech Division

saturation at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzamcbezza
I loved how the article justified the "increased expense will make young driver's take the whole process of getting your license approach more seriously"

What a load of crap. How stupid do the pollies think we are? 17 year olds won't blink an eye at "the seriousness of getting their license" JUST because it's another $50, they just want the "independence and freedom" driving a car will give them. It's no wonder we are one of the heaviest taxed countries in the world.
absolutely, you think theyre trying to price people out of getting a licence. Thats the polies way to saving lives on the road!

next step, triple stamp duty.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Booga at standard level

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=17560#

more speed cameras on the way.....

Tags
200, 2006, killed, roads, wa