Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Other ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Yes exactly to the point. Real tuning is not just based on WOT runs, it is based on all sites and driveability cells. It requires a lot of time to get a tune right on a Standalone ecu such as Motec. We use tools like the wideband to verify lambda and use the live mapping with 3D + 4D maps and logging features to support the tune as well.

So on the topic of a Standalone ECU vs OST on factory ecu, if it requires days of tuning on a Motec, how so on OST when you have to run log after log to even get close to the sites for tuning.

And in comparison to ignition tables on a Motec vs OST, how accurate can the advance be or how safe can the ignition timing be tuned without inducing detonation on OST, or should we spend more time on setting knock parameters again and map and remap log after log until we get it right, providing we haven't missed or done anything silly.
Old 30-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

phuck yall, microtech with screwdriver adjustment is where its at.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-12-2011, 06:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ewrxion87 at standard level

hehe, this sounds like my 1/8 scale nitro car...lets all go back to carby engines seen there is so much argument on electrical

also for the above comments... i was under the impression my ecutek tune is fully unlocked...not that i would tamper with it personally, and because i have the software license its just a matter of laptop and serial cable that in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
phuck yall, microtech with screwdriver adjustment is where its at.

P-West TMIC / ecutek / HF CAI / Turbosmart / Apexi / Federal / 19psi / bc racing & whiteline / Perrin Performance / Rays
Old 30-12-2011, 06:57 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Ecutek tuners have the choice to set on a per client basis.

Although these days they lock em up to prevent the practise of rom sharing. It is possible however to gain access and tune EcuTek cars if you know what you are doing.

It's not commonly shared information.

If you want to check, just bring it to Mao and see if he can read it for you or buy your own cable. (I recommend you asking nicely as it will save you some coin not having a redundant cable interface)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewrxion87 View Post
hehe, this sounds like my 1/8 scale nitro car...lets all go back to carby engines seen there is so much argument on electrical

also for the above comments... i was under the impression my ecutek tune is fully unlocked...not that i would tamper with it personally, and because i have the software license its just a matter of laptop and serial cable that in...
Old 30-12-2011, 06:58 PM

LOL you might want to check that. Ecutek is locked most of the time to prevents idiots messing with it, or sharing.

Edit - beaten by intra

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Old 30-12-2011, 07:06 PM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

Thanks mao
Old 30-12-2011, 07:25 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Mao:

I share some similar views, I agree with the equations for VE and i am aware of the equation. However sometimes its wrong for a given application due to external environmental conditions, which is why both standard ecu and standalone ecu's have compensation maps to try and address shifts.

You simply can't roll everything up into a single glaring equation. It's dependant on other factors, otherwise we might as well have a 2D map and assume the world is flat (which it clearly isn't).

Tuning is like visiting the doctor, its an opinion of what you think is "SAFE" for a given application. This opinion changes from person to person and im sure you'll agree that what I consider safe DET or bad DET may swing wildly than you.

I still believe the idea of "accuracy" is up to the tuner. Workshop tuners using standalone ECU's have in the past gotten it completely wrong, same applies for standard factory ECU's. It's because of these factors why I think we as humans are to blame as we're telling the microprocessor to specific things and its just following our instructions.

I think what you're trying to say is that standalone units have better features compared against standard factory ECU's not "accuracy".

An ECU in essence is a micro-controller with input and outputs comparing values based off sensors and made to do specific things should those conditions meet. Simple LOGIC calculations, much like perl programming, c programming or assembly programming.
Old 30-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Before I continue, just to make it clear to the others reading, what I am voicing is my opinion and it is up to the individual to go and verify for themselves. Also it is in no way referring to individual OSTs (including ECUtek, Verso and Rommraider/ecuflash as being ineffective).

Intra:

Personally, I think it is easier to set boost, duty cycle, boost limit and compensations than to go through the the whole process of cumulative and integrals.

Also, I think it is good to verify accuracy, instead of set target CL, adjust and compensate and I personally feel more confident, more 'accurate' or 'convenient' or 'safer' to be able to hold it on the dyno in a particular load cell and affirm it on the wideband.

Yes some features are better, more useful and convenient than others. And you are right, nothing is perfect as we are all humans, We can only keep trying and move forward.

I am also not going to argue that factory ecus are no good as they have been developed by many big brains for thousands of cars off the factory line. But I would be looking forward to see bigger developements in OST which will result in more convenience (ie being able to target both WOT and driveability easily), with a better feel for accuracy.... whilst being economical for the end user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intra View Post
Mao:

I share some similar views, I agree with the equations for VE and i am aware of the equation. However sometimes its wrong for a given application due to external environmental conditions, which is why both standard ecu and standalone ecu's have compensation maps to try and address shifts.

You simply can't roll everything up into a single glaring equation. It's dependant on other factors, otherwise we might as well have a 2D map and assume the world is flat (which it clearly isn't).

Tuning is like visiting the doctor, its an opinion of what you think is "SAFE" for a given application. This opinion changes from person to person and im sure you'll agree that what I consider safe DET or bad DET may swing wildly than you.

I still believe the idea of "accuracy" is up to the tuner. Workshop tuners using standalone ECU's have in the past gotten it completely wrong, same applies for standard factory ECU's. It's because of these factors why I think we as humans are to blame as we're telling the microprocessor to specific things and its just following our instructions.

I think what you're trying to say is that standalone units have better features compared against standard factory ECU's not "accuracy".

An ECU in essence is a micro-controller with input and outputs comparing values based off sensors and made to do specific things should those conditions meet. Simple LOGIC calculations, much like perl programming, c programming or assembly programming.
Old 30-12-2011, 10:20 PM

I think a healthy discussion between two people with a clue on the topic is awesome

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
ecu, standalone, stock