Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

i think canon p&s's are best (currently), however for 800 bucks, you could get a proper dslr and ONE lens that covers 18-200mm and would be a much more awesome option
Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

The Panasonic I posted before is a p&s with 28-280mm equiv lens (wider than most to longer than most). Also since Panasonic bought Leica, there optics have improved immensely.

If you want something smallish but seriously good quality grab a Leica d-lux3 off digital rev for $870 delivered. Nothing short of an SLR will touch it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Leica-D-LUX-3...713.m153.l1262

Last edited by slappy; 09-06-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 17-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

or if you did your homework you'd buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 which is the exact same camera but as above with a Panasonic badge and 200 bucks cheaper :P

lol exact same lens, sensor, flash, case... everything :P
Old 18-06-2008, 06:54 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

nang3 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by werticusness
or if you did your homework you'd buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 which is the exact same camera but as above with a Panasonic badge and 200 bucks cheaper :P

lol exact same lens, sensor, flash, case... everything :P
my old man was looking at both of these a while back and went with the leica - i think he said they have a 1yr longer warranty, better case, slightly better noise reduction, more internal memory and better software or something??? either way hes old school and loves the leicas no matter what
Old 18-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

Oh okay thanks for that info ill have to make sure i look at both to see if its worth 200 bucks to me.... because it just so happens im in the need for a 'cheap' happy snap camera also :P

As it turns out lugging a 5d around sometimes is a pita.
Old 19-06-2008, 06:52 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

nang3 at standard level

cheap happy snap P&S you cant go wrong with an IXUS IMO... dirt cheap, tiny and light and take pretty good pics for the size
Old 19-06-2008, 08:37 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Poncha at standard level

^^^+1 for that.

I ended up getting the IXUS 90 IS, and for my purposes (happy snaps), it's perfect for it.

You can go a little cheaper and get the IXUS 80 (drop a couple of megapixels and -0.5" screen size, but you get back a viewfinder).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncha
(Grave digger )

Looking at getting a digi cam. I've narrowed my option down to a Canon IXUS 90 IS. I can get it for $377.

Is there anything else people reckon I should be looking at? I have searched the many camera review sites, but was just looking for some first-hand feedback of other options
Budget is probably around $400. Obviously looking at compact digitals (not DSLR's or anything).

(I've always been a fan of Canons- have had a few in the past. I don't mind Olympus and Sony, but Canon have always seemed the most reliable, cheaper (at least cheaper than Sony!) and well built).

Cheers!

Tags
camera, digital