Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Sir AntiLag

Jaded at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Jaded

Got our new beast today ! Went with the 450D "enthusiast kit" - so the 17-85mm lens.

so far im loving it.. now just got to work out what the hell the 6million settings do ! Break out the instruction manual lol

What are you lot using for bags? Im not really inspired by the nice black, black or black and grey range offered by loweprowe and the rest of them. Ive been looking at crumpler.. a nice bright orange number that doesnt scream 'IM A CAMERA PLEASE STEAL ME!'.

anyone else know of decent quality bags that come in cool colours? Or is crumpler the best man for the job ?
cheers
Old 13-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear
...I dont see why anyone would go past Canon/Nikon for lens and accessory choice.
I'm personally having a hard enough time choosing things for my Pentax, though it is perceived as having a more limited range than canon, the fact that it can use any of the older style FA, M , A etc lenses means there is tons of options lens wise. Additionally there is at least 2/3 redundant 3rd party choices and from the reviews I've been reading the 3rd party options often have better quality and better price than either canon or nikon or pentax 1st party! (at the very least better value)

Unless your on a full frame there is no compelling reason to go with canon/Nikon imo its just halo effect marketing at work. If I were to go full frame I think I would choose the d700, because iso performance is more important than the extra mp of the 5dmk2. I'm more likely to jump right to medium format however if it got that serious.

Besides anyone who does their homework properly will be looking at the prices of those nice lenses they really want, eg:

Canon EFS 16-55 f2.8 IS $1655
Nikkor DX 17-55 f2.8 (could not find one with VR) $2075
Pentax DA* 16-55 f2.8 (vr/ is in the body and this lens is water proof) $1340

then 3rd party comes in
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 $685 (and i have not found a bad review of this lens anywhere and ill probably buy it)
Sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro $650 (no idea about this one)

Last edited by werticusness; 13-03-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 13-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Lowepro Slingshot 100 bag.....fits our 450D/17-85, 50mm F1.8, flash, Giotto rocket and all the filters, charger, cables, etc.

That being said, its still compact!
Old 13-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by werticusness
I'm personally having a hard enough time choosing things for my Pentax, though it is perceived as having a more limited range than canon, the fact that it can use any of the older style FA, M , A etc lenses means there is tons of options lens wise. Additionally there is at least 2/3 redundant 3rd party choices and from the reviews I've been reading the 3rd party options often have better quality and better price than either canon or nikon or pentax 1st party! (at the very least better value)

Unless your on a full frame there is no compelling reason to go with canon/Nikon imo its just halo effect marketing at work. If I were to go full frame I think I would choose the d700, because iso performance is more important than the extra mp of the 5dmk2. I'm more likely to jump right to medium format however if it got that serious.

Besides anyone who does their homework properly will be looking at the prices of those nice lenses they really want, eg:

Canon EFS 16-55 f2.8 IS $1655
Nikkor DX 17-55 f2.8 (could not find one with VR) $2075
Pentax DA* 16-55 f2.8 (vr/ is in the body and this lens is water proof) $1340

then 3rd party comes in
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 $685 (and i have not found a bad review of this lens anywhere and ill probably buy it)
Sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro $650 (no idea about this one)
ive personally compared d700 (my mates) and 5d mkII in terms of high iso (shot few of the same photos, same settings etc) and we both agreed canon was slightly better. I made better choice

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 13-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

theres a big difference between a 5k 5d mkII and L lens setup then a 30grand + medium format set up lol and tbh I dont think medium format is worth it unless you need to blow the photos up huge! 5d mkII will blow up big enough for nearly anyones needs.
Old 13-03-2009, 12:41 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

No third party lens companies can match high end Canon or Nikon glass except maybe Zeiss, but then you are paying the same or more anyway. Having said that Sigma and Tamron are decent and they are cheap.
Old 13-03-2009, 12:51 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

It all really depends on what your going to do with the lense i think.

Sure i'd love to go get a nikkor 70-200 f2.8 , but i want to be able to eat dinner tonight and maybe for the next coupla months. People also need to ask themselves if its a hobby or paid work?
Old 13-03-2009, 03:56 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded
Due to budget and likelihood that this will remain just a hobby and no aspirations of becoming professional in any way.. we are looking at the 450D.

Dan has been told to go the 17-85mm IS ... would this do ok ?

any help appreciated ! Got to find a productive way to spend our K-rudd $900 !! hhaha
To get back to topic..
D90 has dropped in price, now can be had for a similar price to 40D, 450D and K20D.
D90 $1614 with 18-105 VR lens
or
D90 twin lens 18-55 VR & 55-200 VR $1694

Seem to be pretty good prices. 'Kit' lenses have very favorable reviews (for the price), better than other brand 'kit' lenses.
Direct comparison against 450D features here:
Vs 450D
Old 13-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy
No third party lens companies can match high end Canon or Nikon glass...
Its shocking but that's not what I'm reading in reviews around the place:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20734244
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/698396/0

I'm seeing a lot of people saying that the Tamron is = to or better than the 1st party lenses and its $1000 cheaper too.

here is a choice quote: (vs canon)

"Sharpness - there is no difference. In fact, of my copies, my Tamron was sharper, but from what I've seen on multiple reviews, plus my experience, they are equal in resolution.

Build quality - I think the Tamron is honestly the better built lens. The Canon has a little bit of slop in it's construction. The zoom ring feels cheap, the focus ring is scratchy, and there's more barrel wobble than with the Tamron (not that the Tamron feels like a pro build.) I was extremely put off by the 17-55 IS's build quality. For $1000, you should get a lot more. "
Old 13-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

450d vs d90 it take the d90. Because the d90 has better in camera processing and better auto focus computer.

your three options side by side:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._k20d&show=all

fmx your welcome to come and play with my k20d sometime...

Last edited by werticusness; 13-03-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Tags
choice, dslr, lens