Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Vendors and Sponsors > Radars Direct Australia
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree15Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Vendor

row011 at standard level

Yes I am getting them in, to test and someone wants one already.

If you want one let me know.

www.radarsdirect.com.au

www.facebook.com/RadarsDirect
Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 PM
STI Master

steve-lang knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by row011 View Post
Yes I am getting them in, to test and someone wants one already.

If you want one let me know.
Keen to know results of test
Old 18-12-2012, 10:16 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Reaper at standard level

Valentine V1 detecting multi-nova in Perth Australia - YouTube
Took a video of my new V1 detecting a very well hidden multi-nova
Saved my ass the first time I passed it, turned around for a second pass and made the video

EDIT: Poliscanspeed / laser

Last edited by Reaper; 18-12-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 18-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Vendor

row011 at standard level

Thanks for the video Reaper. In this video you were detecting the Vitronic Poliscanspeed, 'multanovas' were the old radar cameras and were detected hundreds of metres away by the V1, and only as little as 30m for most other models. The new cameras run on laser which is the same wavelength of police laser guns.

As you have probably noticed the warning times between different cameras significantly varies depending on the setup of the camera performed by the operator. While the Vitronic Poliscan scans the road in a right to left motion it's lidar beam or arc is limited for detection by the fact that laser is not being shot down the road, but across the road at a fairly sharp angle, the Poliscan while not effected by the Cosine error laser guns face can afford to use this tactic without loss of performance. Generally when the cameras are distant from the road the warning is reduced as the angle required for operation increases.

www.radarsdirect.com.au

The Following User Says Thank You to row011 For This Useful Post:
GTB Liberty (18-12-2012)
Old 18-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Valentine V1 detecting multi-nova in Perth Australia - YouTube
Took a video of my new V1 detecting a very well hidden multi-nova
Saved my ass the first time I passed it, turned around for a second pass and made the video
It's a laser warning. Poliscan.

Multinova is Ka.
Old 18-12-2012, 10:40 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Reaper at standard level

The warn time is longer than it seems on video, as previously stated it gave me enough warn time to lower my speed by 20+km/h
I have a second video with the V1 and also a cobra model that is uploading now that I will share also, The cobra is always beeping its brains out all the time so it's not usefull as protection, the V1 has better detection time also.
GTB Liberty likes this.
Old 18-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Vendor

row011 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The warn time is longer than it seems on video, as previously stated it gave me enough warn time to lower my speed by 20+km/h
I have a second video with the V1 and also a cobra model that is uploading now that I will share also, The cobra is always beeping its brains out all the time so it's not usefull as protection, the V1 has better detection time also.
Chances are the cobra will set off your V1 quite a lot to KA band falses.

**Also, as per my recommendations mount your V1 high + centre of the windscreen. Not low and centre, it should help increase your warning range.**

www.radarsdirect.com.au

Last edited by row011; 18-12-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 18-12-2012, 11:00 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Reaper at standard level

The cobra is going in the bin, to many false detects, was just to compair
Old 19-12-2012, 12:03 AM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Quote:
As you have probably noticed the warning times between different cameras significantly varies depending on the setup of the camera performed by the operator. While the Vitronic Poliscan scans the road in a right to left motion it's lidar beam or arc is limited for detection by the fact that laser is not being shot down the road, but across the road at a fairly sharp angle, the Poliscan while not effected by the Cosine error laser guns face can afford to use this tactic without loss of performance.
Just for the sake of clarity, can you expand on this a little? In my former job I was qualified in all forms of radar & laser that operated at the time; and from my training, the larger the angle deviated from the line of the road, the greater was the cosine error. The old Multanova operated at (from memory) 65 degrees from dead square of the road line (ie, 25 degrees deviance from the road line), mathematically calibrated to take into account the cosine error at that particular angle, but because it used radar with a 12(?) degree beam width, it made it detectable from a fair distance, and therefore it was still ideal to use a detector to avoid a fine. (This, of course, made for many court trials whereby the driver who knew his trigonometry made claim that he was returning from a right to left lane overtake and drove more directly into the beam, causing the calibration effect to falsely inflate his detected speed). Hand held laser is almost always shot straight down the road and can take a reading in a third of a second, not giving the average driver any reaction time, (unless a true reading due to lack of reflectivity was not successful on 1st push of the button and a 2nd take or subsequent take was needed); effectively still making it the best method from a traffic enforcement perspective.

Quote:
Generally when the cameras are distant from the road the warning is reduced as the angle required for operation increases.
Are you referring to the distance the camera is from the road verge, or the distance to the objective vehicle? Is the operational angle able to be varied and calibrated accordingly on the Poliscan?

Not trying to give ya a hard time, I was just a bit confused by your description in the narrative. I'm quite sure you know your stuff and would be up to speed (excuse the pun) with the latest on speed detection equipment.

Cheerz
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 19-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Vendor

row011 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoz View Post
Just for the sake of clarity, can you expand on this a little? In my former job I was qualified in all forms of radar & laser that operated at the time; and from my training, the larger the angle deviated from the line of the road, the greater was the cosine error.
With your former job being a police officer? - you would of been told or by your own research discovered how the cosine error can benefit the driver, not the operator. The further the distance from the angle of 0 to the moving target, the less accurate the true speed reading becomes as it displays a speed less than the actual speed of the moving target.

While LIDAR guns lock on to a certain point to obtain a single speed reading after multiple calculations they are effect by the cosine error, the Poliscan operates significantly differently to a conventional lidar gun in the sense it scans from side to side in a sweeping motion the amount of times per second this occurs varies depending on traffic density. The Poliscan does not lock onto a certain area of the car, but rather calculates the speed of a moving target multiple times based off positioning and vehicle width using intelligent software algorithms design by the manufacture. As a result, the Poliscan is not effect by the Cosine error.

www.radarsdirect.com.au

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, detector, group, radar, valentine