Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Articles > Subaru Related
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Article Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Perth WRX RSS Post Engine

rss.feed at standard level
Lightbulb fully synchronized forward 4-gear engine

Continuing from last week, we bring you extracts from the column introducing the appeal and performance of the newly launched Subaru R-2 in the shape of dialogue between Mr. Q and Mr. A. This week we touch on the running performance of the car.

? Top level high performance

Q:*So, what should we look at in order to see the real capability of the Subaru R-2?

A:*Above all are the well balanced high performance and excellent running stability. The second thing I think is interior roominess that is unbelievable for a light car.

Q:*It has the top performance among cars in the kei (light) class, doesn’t it?

A:*It is the highest level in the class. However, I want you to understand that car performance is not something you can determine based simply on data concerning maximum speed and horsepower. The R-2 has great balance concerning all points including engine, transmission, drive system, suspension and body. That is why it is smooth when driving at slow speeds but also has strong performance at high speeds too.

Q:*Can you explain that in a little more detail, please?

A:*First, the engine utilizes technology of the Subaru 360 in that it adopts a forced air-cooled 2-cycle engine with RR system. However, in other respects, it is a totally new design, for example, it adopts a light aluminum cylinder that has good heat discharge, and it incorporates a reed valve for air suction and a diffuser muffler in the exhaust system.

Q:*Can you tell us more about the reed valve?

A:*Put simply, a valve is fitted to the inlet through which mixed gases are injected into the cylinder, and this serves to prevent suction air from being blown back and eliminate uneven explosion during low-speed running. Using more technical language, this prevents bogs of engine rotation and depression of the torque.

Q:*So that enables the engine to run smoothly and maintain constant power even when running at low speeds.

A:*That’s right.

Q:*Moreover, it is a fully synchronized forward 4-gear engine.

A:*What more could you want? (Laugh). And that’s not all.

A:*Opportunities for running on expressways will become more common from now on, and strong suspension will be needed to allow for stable running at high speeds. Road holding on corners is another important element. Therefore, a lot of care and attention have been devoted to suspension in the R-2. I recently went for a run on the Tomei Expressway and found the suspension to be really good.

Q:*Please let me take it for a spin too.

A:*Certainly. You have to hold the steering wheel yourself in order to appreciate the quality of a car. By the way Mr. Q, what do you look for most of all when deciding the performance of a car?

Q:*I suppose the 0 -> 400 meter performance.

A:*You mean the starting acceleration? That’s certainly important. But actually, the ratio of weight to horse power is more important. No matter how high the horse power is, it will be wasted if the vehicle is too heavy. In that respect, the Subaru R-2 weight to HP ratio of 14.33 kg/ps is something that other light cars cannot touch. Have a look at the data for other cars when you get a chance.

Q:*Yes, I will.

(The above contents were excerpted from “Subaru Vol. 54.” To be continued next week.)

More...

Tags
4gear, engine, forward, fully, synchronized

Article Tools