Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Personal Classifieds > Wanted
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

Good stuff mate,

Wonderwall is pretty basic mate, give it a go. You'll need a capo on the first fret though to play it. Not sure if you have one of these, but you should get one.

A couple of classic riffs that you should have a go at are Sweet Child O' Mine, Under The Bridge (need capo on 1st fret for this too) and Enter Sandman.

Remember that the Nirvana stuff is tuned half a step lower, as is the Guns n Roses stuff.

Patience is a another awesome tune to play on the acoustic.

An good simple song to get you started on some barre and open chords is Nirvana's About A Girl.

Rock on
Zombee
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Cheers zombie, i look forward to advancing but unfrotunatley like everything its gonna take time, and i know this. Fortunatley ive gained a little patience from a few different places lately and a with a bit of determination im sure ill progress.

My mate Yorkie has a capo but i might just buy one anyway. Im thinking maybe i need to start learning chords and notes rather then just playing Tabs. Eventually making music will be in the pipe line but ive got a long way to go....last time i played an instrument was the organ.....years ago. LOL
Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

Chords are a good idea

BTW, Wonderwall is played with the capo on the 2nd fret, not the first as in my previous post - my bad

Cheers
Zombee
Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM

Elrico at standard level

No problem mate, when i get a little bit more prac under my belt, if you got a spare sunday or whatever might organise a P-diddy jam session, because im pretty sure there is a few people on here that play.

Ive organised with my mates every sunday or 2 to rock up with a few stubbies, my desktop/laptop computers for tabs/you tube, amp/mixer/elec guitar and acoustics and just smash out some tunes. Did it yesterday, had a blast!

At the moment, im just trying to get the strum technique of wonderwall, spose its a start haha!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

If you want to invest some money, ebay has lots of books on the cheap. I too would learn chords and notes as a priority over tabs.

Tabs will teach you one song, whereas if you know what your playing, its going to be a lot easier to learn new songs, and you never know, there may be a situation where it'd be handy know how to play C A Gm F without having to chase down a tab

I remember years ago at rock it. Billie Joe called people up on stage, and told the guy to play 3 chords. If he only new tabs it mightve been a bit embarrassing

Last edited by Alternate; 06-10-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

Chum at standard level

Lol digging up old thread I just searched guitar. I've been playing a while now and have a purchased some rather decent equipment over the last few years. Hows your playing now 2yrs later elrico? Ive deviated from conventional stuff and gone right into the funk/jazz thing as I've found its the most fun to play and the most challenging in terms of rythm.

My setup is sweet and simple.
100w marshall JVM with 4 main channels and 3 sub channels for each (basically 12 channels)
BOSS GT-10 effects board (went for the best here)
Fender custom shop vintage relic strat sunburst. These babies aren't cheap, they are collectors and go up in value over time. Definately the best guitar Ive ever played by miles.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Sir AntiLag

Okibi at standard level

If you want to focus more on technique I know a guy who teaches at a Perth music shops but gives better rates if you contact him personally. He lives near Murdoch so Canningvale might not be too far for him to drive. He doesn't seem to know modern rock songs etc, so probably not so good if that's all you wanna learn.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Elrico at standard level

Hey guys, sounds good. I have recently bought an Epiphone acoustic, and got myself a techniques book. I have managed to learn Green Days - Time of your Life, Wonder Wall, and have got about 1/4 to 1/2 Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. Taught myself, mainly from tabs though.

Would rather learn actual music/chordes. Borrowed the electric off my mate and can play some dead cat by grinspoon, few chilli peppers intros. Nothing crazy, but i havnt put alot of effort into it unfortunatley.

Might be an idea to get a teacher though otherwise ill just be delaying myself!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Sir AntiLag

Chum at standard level

Chili Peppers are a great band to learn because their music has so many styles to it if you have their entire discography. Their early stuff is heavier metal/funk/rap stuff to more punk rock to jazz funk, mellow, alternative, pop, melodic, classical, experimental. For me Blood Sugar Sex Magik (early 90s album) has been key for me in learning ryhtm/chords etc that suit different styles. I got bored of playing normal major/minor chords, felt too simple for what I wanted to play. I love my 7#9 chords (Hendrix chord) as it sounds so groovy and its a mix of a major and minor chord. Trippy.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

cameltoemcgee at standard level

OPETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously though.... the drapery falls.... most of it isn't too hard, just a bit of a workout for you're fretting and good to get the hang of a strum pattern that isn't 4/4...