Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Personal Classifieds > Wanted
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Yeha i definatley love RHCP. Ive read Anthony's book and found it VERY intresting. Made me enjoy their music even more. I think after all i will need a teacher to atleast gte me going. I spose i could begin to learn some chords in the mean time to help me along the way.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Sir AntiLag

Chum at standard level

I've had teachers. I found it hindered my progress. I learnt all my knowledge and styles from listening to songs and trying to understand why they've done this or that etc. With a teacher I felt like I was stuck to a curriculum or something which determined what I was going to learn. I would do the work given to me by the teacher (usually learning some boring piece) but wanted to do all these other things at my own pace. Was the same for all teachers I've had. Never learnt anything really 'NEW.'

Going at my own pace was the best thing I've ever done, when you learn it by yourself you appreciate it and understand it more. The question that could never be answered since the day I started playing was why did this person (band or player etc.) put those notes together? I thought they just knew heaps of theory so anything they did sounded good. Then I tried learning all this theory to help me answer but no luck, was the exact opposite. The answer was so simple, it was just their interpretation of what sounds good. That's it lol. All the people I've jammed with that play some cool riff or lick I thought to myself damn that must sound good because he's playing these specific notes that fit my rythm perfect. But its because they sound good is why it sounds good. I know its confusing but it makes sense to me. Its straight from the heart (the feel) rather than just pure knowledge (theory) is why no one could help me answer it really. ahaha I hope im not scaring you.

Sorry I went off topic, just sharing my experiences with guitar as I know how confusing it is, SO much info, where to start? what to do? I'm not talking you out of a teacher or anything, sure they can help you with VERY basics but I've found that I was able to stay motivated discovering things my way at my own pace doing what I want. I almost quit with a teacher because I got so bored of playing scales up and down, the pure repetition! As long as you always find it fun that's all that matter. Best of luck mate.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Yeha i think i really need to get a Jam partner, i find it better when you can learn from each other and come back to the next jam with something you have learnt. That keeps me motivated.