Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Personal Classifieds > Wanted
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level
Default Guitar Prac

Hey guys,

Got an acoustic guitar and wondering who here could get me started on the basics. Ive pretty keen to learn new things and i think music is a great way to express yourself.

As for direction (and it might be early to judge) but if you have heard any Rise Against songs (Prayer of the Refugee, Worth Dying For, The strength to go on etc), this is what im chasing. I picked acoustic because i feel its a great learning platform for strings and whatnot.

Pretty much need a muso, that has a bit of spare time over the week as im jam packed with realestate, work and gym but am willing to make the time where ever possible.

I dont expect stuff for free, dont get me wrong, but i am really chasing basic stuff to get me started. Ohh and i live in Canning Vale!

Thanks all.

Eric
Old 26-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Sir AntiLag

nicecar at standard level

You can teach yourself the basics (and more) from the net/youtube etc. Easiest way to learn is to follow tabs from sites such as www.ultimate-guitar.com

A tutor would just show you a few chords to start with, and a few techniques to get your fingers used to playing.

Enjoy the pain for first few weeks until calus's start to build up on the tips
Old 26-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Sir AntiLag

WHITEMY08 at standard level

^^^^ As above guitar tabs are the way to go, it will take you from picking strings to strumming chords and there are heaps of lesson plans on the net too.
I take lessons with my young fella as you pay for the time slot not the student, I do blues/rock on electric and the boy has a 3/4 classical
Old 26-09-2009, 08:44 AM

Elrico at standard level

Ok, well this is pretty much what im after, someone to help me grab the basics of tabs and form. Id rather give my money and time to someone on here personally as we'd have alot more in common so its not so clinical haha.

Haha nicecar, i got caluss' from alot fo the gym and work so whats a few more :P

EDIT: That guitar site is awesome mate. I've just learnt to read tabs and picked up come as you are by nirvana intro in about half hour. Sweet as!

Last edited by Elrico; 26-09-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 26-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Good move with going acoustic first as they are a lot more 'forgiving' than an electric guitar. As the others have said and you have already tried, downloading tabs off the internet and guides to form & positioning are the way to go. What better than to say you were self taught when you are a sk8r boi rocking up MTV?
Old 26-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Elrico at standard level

haha thanks phizzle, yeah ill give it a crack for a few weeks, would like someone to 'jam' with lol! Im pretty alright on Guitar Hero!
Old 26-09-2009, 12:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

hybridgx at standard level

guitar tabs mate, and now weve got youtube, you cant go wrong!

MY04 STI Forester - v7 STI TMIC, Blitz Nurspec cat back.
MY98 'wannabe STI' GT Forester
Old 26-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

Cars and Guitars... the best you can get

I've been playing for 20 years and I can tell you once it gets into your blood you never ever ever will give it away.

I could not live without my guitar/s, I play whenever I get the chance.

All I can say to you mate is stick with it. The first 6 months will do your head in, but once you've cracked it, its just awesome.

My advice to you is to pick a couple of easy riffs to keep you interested, which I've seen you've done with Come As You Are. Learn the basic open chords, A, B, C, D, E, F, & G, practice playing these open chords. Then move onto barre chords. You'll play barre chords in almost every song you play. Learn them. Then learn some basic scales and move onto the 12 bar blues. All the time try and learn some riffs of songs you like so you can keep the motivation up.

Also, try and learn alternate picking from the start. That is, try and pick the strings with your pick going up and down, not just on the down stroke. You'll need to master this otherwise you wont be able to play alot of stuff (think Thunderstruck opening riff)

Stick with it mate

Rock On

Cheers
Zombee
Old 26-09-2009, 03:50 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

You will find that if you learn from someone in person, you will advance a lot faster.
They can also teach you personalised techniques that might not be part of conventional teaching.
Remember, just because a website says "Hold your guitar THIS WAY" or "Hold your pick THAT WAY" doesn't mean it is right. Doesn't mean it is wrong either, just remember you have options. Do what feels comfortable.

MY VERDICT: (hammer time)
Go get your self a professional guitar tutor for one lesson a week, and use the net and tabs during your spare time.

Ring any guitar shop in your area and they can generally point you towards a good tutor.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Elrico at standard level

Ok well just a small update. Turns out 2 of my best mates are actual guitar freaks. They have scrap books with tones of tabs and whatnot in them. One of them has loaned me his electric guitar/amp/foot pedal mixer as having a new baby he wont play it much.

So far ive got 'Come as you are' intro down, trying to then bridge it into the second part. Ive got the intro to obviously deep purple, ive known that for along time. Im still working on Teen spirit (like you said zombie the up/down picking which is good) and have just today finally been able to do the intro to Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Scar tissue, the whole slide and pull off.

Electric guitar just puts the edge on it that makes you really love playing it when you hit those notes, especially scar tissue when i can nail the slide and pull off!

EDIT: Also learning Dead Cat by Grinspoon, just gotta time it properly as i have the pull off parts pretty well done Loving this guitar thing, need a new hobby and looks like this is it!

P.S. How hard is wonderwall by oasis? I was told not to really attempt it if i cant play chords or something.