Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

EJ20TLEONE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-REX View Post
Looks like a fair amount of effort went into the restoration. Any reason you didnt do a RHD conversion on it?
It's not a full rotissere resto by any standard but it has had a lot of hours put into it thus far.. Reason for not doing a RHD conversion is simply because we don't have to in WA and the cost far outweighs the benefits. Driving a LHD car isn't that daunting. You get used to it very quickly...
Old 31-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Well, I got the EJ20T Leone running. Came home from work and spent a couple of hours playing around on Thursday. Hooked up the fuel gauge to find it a 3quater full tank of 5 year old stale juice so I drained that via the fuel pump and got some premium gear from the servo to replace it. Also pumped what stale stuff was left out of the fuel lines to the front and disconnected injectors to burn any unburnt crap out aswell.
Found the spark problem, it was one of the main fusible links not seated correctly so I fixed that.
Went and purchased a battery for the car, instead of running it off my jumper pack and slotted that in.
Got my mate Lauza who's visiting from Kal to give me a bit of a hand as well as my 5 year old son to help crank it over and she had a few backfires through the throttle body. Pulled the plugs and they were brand new. Dropped the cam belt covers and made sure that was all good and all the marks lined up correctly. Tried again, still backfiring. Swapped the coil plugs on the left bank and it made no difference so swapped them back and then swapped the right bank and it cranked alot better to the point where it wanted to fire. Reconnected the injector plugs and cranked again and whalla, she fired up and actually ran pretty smoothly considering it hasn't run for anything up to 5 years!!

Reconnected the radiator hoses and put some water in it to find the water was pouring straight out the bottom. I'm assuming it's coming from the water pump area as I couldn't quite see without jacking it up.

So atleast for now, I know it runs. When I get more time I will slip it into the garage and have a look underneath. Pretty sure the motor isn't seated correctly either, so will suss that also.

Here is a quick vid of it starting and running. Not very good sound as I took the vid on my mobile phone...but you get the idea... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGp0jYKVwrg

Mitch
Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Had another quick play with the Leone today and drove it from the back yard to the garage. Hadn't even depressed the clutch pedal up until now!! Surprisingly it selected gears and drove easily to the garage. Put it up on ramps and found that the motor wasn't mounted i.e. engine mounts sitting on the crossmember. Repositioned the engine and found one of the coil packs to be faulty so will need a replacement RS Liberty coil pack.

Ran it at idle for a while and checked a few things over. Found that the turbo is cactus or atleast it's shat a seal and is pumping oil through something cruel! So now I need to find a second hand replacement stock turbs... Anyone?

Anyway, after it had warmed up a bit I ran back into the rear yard and my mate took a quick vid of the smoke machine... hehehee.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jUi6-oGSk
Old 13-11-2009, 11:00 PM

Might of had a bit of a win with the Leone today.. Spoke to the old owner today and he told me that he thought he'd do the right thing and make sure the turbo didn't seize up, so he sprayed a whole can of WD40 into the turbo!!

And after running the car for half hour or so on two occasions today it seems to have cleared up... So after all my turbo looks to be fine.

What a tool, a whole can of WD40... hahahaha... Atleast it would moisture proof... hehehehe

Tags
ej20t, leone, rides, rs, sedan, turbo