Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneten View Post
You say it has a Verso tune, but only 16psi??
Mine im almost positive has never had a tune but also runs 16psi, I thought this was stocko boost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Stocker boost is ~13.5psi.
^^This
Plus:
The purpose of a retune/flash is not just to adjust fuel and timing to run more boost safely.
A tune is required/beneficial to:
-Remap the standard/aftermarket computer to compensate for modifcations.
-Modify the extremely safe factory tune to enhance/change the way power is delivered even when no modifications have been performed ie. Car is still stock/factory.

A car that is stock, aside from an exhaust, that has not been tuned will more than likely make less power than a stock car (even without an aftermarket exhaust) than has been reflashed/tuned.
Even running 98ron fuel is going to have little to no benefit (sometimes even a negative affect) in a car that has been designed to run 91/95ron and has not been retuned for 98.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

oneten at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99 View Post
^^This
Plus:
The purpose of a retune/flash is not just to adjust fuel and timing to run more boost safely.
-Modify the extremely safe factory tune to enhance/change the way power is delivered even when no modifications have been performed ie. Car is still stock/factory.

A car that is stock, aside from an exhaust, that has not been tuned will more than likely make less power than a stock car (even without an aftermarket exhaust) than has been reflashed/tuned.
Even running 98ron fuel is going to have little to no benefit (sometimes even a negative affect) in a car that has been designed to run 91/95ron and has not been retuned for 98.
Hmm OK, Ive found conflicting information regarding the stocker boost levels of the TD04 (you know what forums are like though, so much BS) since the day I bought the car. Ive been mostly told 16-17psi or 14.5. You see I bought it from the auctions, so mods was a bit of an unknown, and I personally was suprised to discover it was running 16 (its actually closer to 16.5psi).

I am able to dump the maps from the ecu via an OBDII tactrix cable and can also burn them back again, so I was under the impression it had not already been flash tuned. Its deffo a stock computer, and cant be ECUtek'd as they lock their tunes by making changes to the SSM protocol so you cant just dump or flash the image to the ECU anymore - to stop 'piracy' but Im more of the opinion to stop you getting it flash tuned anywhere other than an ECUtek dealer. I would love to find out if its been verso'd somehow, Pehaps ASG have a record??. I mean its even possible mine was open source tuned with something like romraider once upon a time...

Thanks for the info fellas.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

oneten at standard level

Quote:
^^This
Plus:

PS. Dude, this is gonna sound SO weird, but I know your Mum. Haha, Im the 'computer guy' at SCEA so we have become somewhat familar. When she saw I had a rex she told me all about your car, Longstory is it?

Sorry for thread hijack OP
Old 09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneten View Post
PS. Dude, this is gonna sound SO weird, but I know your Mum. Haha, Im the 'computer guy' at SCEA so we have become somewhat familar. When she saw I had a rex she told me all about your car, Longstory is it?

Sorry for thread hijack OP
haha. Oh hi.
She told me about you. She's also told me that's she's borrowing my car one day to drive to school.
You also know my wife's brother, Brett, the maintenance guy.
PS. I have also acquired two of the old Dell PC's that were "thrown out" last month
Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Call ASG and ask them if it has been tuned? They should have a database of cars they have done.

How are you reading boost? Good chance it is stock and you just have a high reading gauge.

Stock was definately below 1 bar (14.5psi) on my MY05 so 13.5psi is the number I believe.

Also check there isn't a boost tee in the engine bay as you don't need to alter the rom to up boost on a car.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

oneten at standard level

Quote:
haha. Oh hi.
She told me about you. She's also told me that's she's borrowing my car one day to drive to school.
You also know my wife's brother, Brett, the maintenance guy.
PS. I have also acquired two of the old Dell PC's that were "thrown out" last month
Lol, brave is the man who lets their Mum drive their WRX. My Mum would drive mine under the following conditions:
- I was really drunk and no car within reasonable walking distance could be 'commisioned'
- I was severly incapacitated and needed to be taken someplace quickly
- I had lost my mind
Yeah I think I know Brett too. Small world eh. And your welcome to keep those 10 year old Dell GX260's, did you get some cool CRT monitors too?? hehe your mad keen, plenty more where that came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Call ASG and ask them if it has been tuned? They should have a database of cars they have done.

How are you reading boost? Good chance it is stock and you just have a high reading gauge.

Stock was definately below 1 bar (14.5psi) on my MY05 so 13.5psi is the number I believe.

Also check there isn't a boost tee in the engine bay as you don't need to alter the rom to up boost on a car.
Yeah thats a good idea Kato, might give that a go. Its got different plates now so unless they have the VIN dunno how they would go about identifying it, but who knows.
Reading boost via a ECU datascan, so the reading is coming from the ECU via OEM MAP sensor which im sure is accurate, but also had a gauge previously that read the same boost.

Definatly no boost tee, all the lines have not been messed with, all stock solenoids are in place so Its gotta be Flash tune changes for it to be boosting up...

Cheers guys, and again sorry to the OP for the thread HIJACK!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:19 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

WRXMatt at standard level

Haha thats cool, this made me lol

[QUOTE=oneten;573966]PS. Dude, this is gonna sound SO weird, but I know your Mum.
Cobb Air Intake
STI Intercooler
Old 17-08-2011, 01:29 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

So a bit has changed with my WRX over the last few weeks

Went to S Technic and got:

New Rear brakes
New Gearbox/Front Diff Oil and Rear Diff Oil
Ultrex Turbo Back Exhaust Installed

Installed a Cobb Filter myself and I still have the Cobb Box to put in. Maybe this weekend if I get time...

Also got a new boot lid and have made it wingless
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Wingless.JPG   Rear Wingless2.JPG  
Cobb Air Intake
STI Intercooler
Old 18-08-2011, 09:14 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Engine Bay Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Bay.jpg  
Cobb Air Intake
STI Intercooler
Old 18-01-2012, 11:08 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Did a few more mods to the WRX. Got the Cobb box installed and have the stock air intake connected to it. Works well and I still get a nice BOV noise. I bought an Ultrex TBE system and got it installed by RMS. Put the WRX spoiler back on and painted the WRX rims gold. Also got an “I” badge in black to replace the pink badge.

Over the next few weeks ill be removing the tow bar and keen to make the headlights black, but worried about messing them up…

Took a few photos on the weekend. Nothing fancy, they were taken on my HTC.
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.JPG   5.JPG  

Cobb Air Intake
STI Intercooler

Tags
matt, my05, wrx