Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

207 from an 02 STI on Japline;

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan STI Motor | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Swan Area - Malaga

Could be worth a look depending on condition/kms/compatibility with harness..

GL
Old 11-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Having just done a conversion, would you really want to do another full rewire to make it work?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Just build the god-damn new 207 and be done with it. At least you get a warranty and you know the condition, plus where it all came from. No more halfcuts or swaps!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Having just done a conversion, would you really want to do another full rewire to make it work?
Throwing the option out there for the 207>205

As mentioned, rather do it right with 207 and 6 speed than spend more in the long run when/if things go boom....again :/
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
EJ205 will not work easily with your wiring loom (unless you use your existing heads and wiring harness) Then there are issues with compression ratio.
I hope these awesome people you speak of know what they are getting into?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmh View Post
unless its a short block swap, and you're DIY its ok
but i dont' see point of swapping a 205 short block
why not go 207 short block, do it once, do it right?
unless you've got a money tree growing, you'll find that you'll be constant swapping bits and parts for the next few years, with loans on a depreciating asset
yes, you get to learn stuff, but most of things you're learning now can be learnt in one go and through other's experience and subsequent advise
don't take the -ve talk as a motivation to go against the grain, because at the end of the day you are the one that will suffer, financially and possibly emotionally. its a car at the end of the day

This and this.

Seeing as though Im usually the guy who says the negative shit.

-yes I know you want the car on the road
-yes I know everyone feels all lovey dovey about it

But rather than comment on how awesome this and that is - tell us what is going down.

I think you said the workshop was awesome etc etc too. They were up until the bill was paid.

Throwing an old 205 in this is a waste of time. What happens if its another bad luck story and it rattles a big end out again? What happens if it isnt compatible with your manifolds and thus wiring loom?

You mentioned a few days ago you would share your story to save at least person (even after you ignored all the advice given) So I am telling you now share your plans so you save yourself.
TROLLEY, Brett Allan and Kiiz like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Allan View Post
Throwing the option out there for the 207>205

As mentioned, rather do it right with 207 and 6 speed than spend more in the long run when/if things go boom....again :/
If you were doing it right with a 207 you would buy a brand new one from Subaru/Supplier.

That is near on 4k for motor only - so no box. As it sits now you couldnt use that in the car without another investment of dollars and time for loom mods.

Given the cost of a new 207 bottom end its a no brainer.
Brett Allan likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

Do you even know that your current 207 block is shagged, when I did my big end bearing it sounded it like someone had poured nuts and bolts in my motor. Opened it up and all I needed were new pistons, piston rings, crank and big end bearing. It's not always as bad as it sounds.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

I just checked to make sure and it's not an engine swap, my engine is being taken out to fix the block.... I was so excited I got the two confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
EJ205 will not work easily with your wiring loom (unless you use your existing heads and wiring harness) Then there are issues with compression ratio.
I hope these awesome people you speak of know what they are getting into?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmh View Post
unless its a short block swap, and you're DIY its ok
but i dont' see point of swapping a 205 short block
why not go 207 short block, do it once, do it right?
unless you've got a money tree growing, you'll find that you'll be constant swapping bits and parts for the next few years, with loans on a depreciating asset
yes, you get to learn stuff, but most of things you're learning now can be learnt in one go and through other's experience and subsequent advise
don't take the -ve talk as a motivation to go against the grain, because at the end of the day you are the one that will suffer, financially and possibly emotionally. its a car at the end of the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDrifter View Post
Do you even know that your current 207 block is shagged, when I did my big end bearing it sounded it like someone had poured nuts and bolts in my motor. Opened it up and all I needed were new pistons, piston rings, crank and big end bearing. It's not always as bad as it sounds.
It's only a 205.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
This and this.

Seeing as though Im usually the guy who says the negative shit.

-yes I know you want the car on the road
-yes I know everyone feels all lovey dovey about it

But rather than comment on how awesome this and that is - tell us what is going down.

I think you said the workshop was awesome etc etc too. They were up until the bill was paid.

Throwing an old 205 in this is a waste of time. What happens if its another bad luck story and it rattles a big end out again? What happens if it isnt compatible with your manifolds and thus wiring loom?

You mentioned a few days ago you would share your story to save at least person (even after you ignored all the advice given) So I am telling you now share your plans so you save yourself.

As I put above in this post I didn't realise but I will still be using the original 205 block so there are no swaps and it is already set up for what its got.

The fact that I have been pretty much unemployed since febuary and only just got a new job this week and also have just spent 8k on the car and I still have bills to pay means that I simply do not have the money to spend 4k on a 207 and another 6k to get a 6 speed installed right now, this will be later down the track. I just want to get this car on the road and enjoy it now!!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
STI Master

MY00GC8 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4eva93 View Post
I just checked to make sure and it's not an engine swap, my engine is being taken out to fix the block.... I was so excited I got the two confused

It's only a 205.

As I put above in this post I didn't realise but I will still be using the original 205 block so there are no swaps and it is already set up for what its got.

The fact that I have been pretty much unemployed since febuary and only just got a new job this week and also have just spent 8k on the car and I still have bills to pay means that I simply do not have the money to spend 4k on a 207 and another 6k to get a 6 speed installed right now, this will be later down the track. I just want to get this car on the road and enjoy it now!!
save your money and buy a brand new 207 block from a supplier, and be done with it,
you will be wasting money doing a 205...
Old 11-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

STI325V6 knows their stuff

Have some patience and wait for my 2.1, you'd struggle to break it
Cat likes this.

Tags
balls, because racecar, boost, cat, chop chop ad, dak, dok, dok dok boom!, dokless, heard a slight tapping...... meh she'll be right, let it die, limiter launchs rule!!, lot, needs more cable ties, rattle can presentable, rip funny tags, snap dakle pop, sorta running well, stock